Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID me, please

Posted by ontheteam 5a - 6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 7:26

Hey have some thing I planted for the plant sale ( 120 Stockwell dr avon MA today an tomorrow 10 to 5.)

And I lost the tags.. or they got taged wrong. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: ID needed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID me, please

The one labeled slightly fuzzy no scent looks just like foxglove.

o
second & third ones

The one labeled "Weed or plant?" is not familiar to me, but the way all those pots have the same thing growing in them makes me say "plant not weed" and maybe someone else can give you an ID. Insect damage is another indicator that this is a plant you want, since weeds in general seem more immune to bugs.

The third one looks quite a lot like a leafy green that comes back for me every year out of a lettuce mix I planted way back when. I have never seen seedlings of "Joe's coat or love lies bleeding" though, so I can't rule those out.

You might post one photo of each on the name that plant forum - they're very helpful there. But I wouldn't bother with the first group since I'm really sure those are foxglove as I said earlier.

o

I agree with DtD on the foxglove. The ones in the Proven Winner pots look like a Campanula.

The second unknown looks like some type of nightshade (genus Solanum) a weed. Does it have an odd odor? If so, it's Solanum.

"Weed should be more upright" looks like a weed to me, pigweed (genus Amaranthus.)

(Can you tell there are lots of opportunities in my garden to ID weeds; it's what I get for using horse manure . . . but it's free, so I weed and mulch.)

A great book I just got is called 'Weeds of the Northeast" by Uva, Neal, & Ditomaso. Has keys, good photos, and seems to be pretty complete. You can google for images to check also.

Keep that tomato hornworm!!!!! It has been parasitized by a tiny nonstinging wasp. The white things are the wasp eggs. The hornworm won't eat any more of the tomato, the little wasps will hatch out and will parasitize other horn worms. (They eat the hornworms from the inside out . . . gross, but helpful in controlling the hornworms.) Just so it's clear - the wasps won't bother you (I don't even know what they look like & they are definitely in my garden) so don't worry that they are called wasps.

o

OK check do not kill the VERY Ugly bug that is a wasp hotel....
I am LOL'ing at the simple truth " weeds are more bug resistant" smacks head... that is amazingly true and SIMPLE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here