Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

lantana in container--REALLY 3' tall?!

I was filling containers last night (a nice thing to do inside when it's going to frost outside) and had to stop everything when I saw my lantana tag. It says my Lantana camara 'Luscious Citrus Blend' will get between 2'-3' tall (and should be spaced at 20"). I'm accustomed to lantana as a perennial in warmer climes, and I do know they certainly get that tall and very spread out as they mature. It's hard for me to imagine a lantana getting that big up here in a container. Is that an accurate description of their size? If so, then do they not share containers well with other plants? I had wanted it in a container with other plants a little over a foot off of the ground, giving it some room to trail downwards as it grows.

Comments (4)

• ginny12
    13 years ago

I have grown lantanas in containers for many years--mostly as hanging baskets. They do indeed reach three feet and even four feet BUT they are hanging down, not growing straight up. The straight up part is probably not even one foot.

I would never try to mix them with other plants in a container--just not enough room--but maybe I'm wrong and I'd love to hear how yours do.

I should also mention that I Miracle Gro every single day--1/4 teaspoon of the fert to one gallon of water. I do this with all my flowering containers for maximum bloom.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Now I won't put it in the original container, but I have another container that will work perfectly. I'll also start fertilizing more, though I doubt I'll match your daily schedule!

• ginny12
    13 years ago

It's not that big a deal. I have to water them every day, especially as they get bigger and the weather is hotter. So I just keep a plastic tub of the fertilizer next to the watering can.

• ego45
    13 years ago

Ginny, I add yellow lantana to burgundy coleus in 15" wide container. It works.