Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

i village ad help needed

Marie Tulin
12 years ago

Hi,

Firefox and Adblock have worked perfectly for ages. Now on Gardenweb, and only gardenweb, i"m getting pop ups and banners. Blocking individual ads doesn't help cause there are a thousand more in line.

I didn't understand what the instructions in my "Advanced Filter" meant about identifying a pattern, but it led me to think there must be some identifier in every ivillage ad that could be used as a filter for/against them.

It's making me hate posting here. Please help!

I did look under computer help, but no one has posted there recently, and frankly I'd rather ask among friends.

Many many thanks

Marie

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I use Safari on a Mac, but there may be similar provisions on other browsers and operating systems. When I am going to use Garden Web, I go to the Safari preferences and disable *Java Script and *Plugins. When I am done with GW I re-enable them, just altering a check box for each. That gets rid of popups and moving ads for me.

PS it won't let me post *Java Script as one word . . . tells me it is an illegal string!

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you, but your answer is somewhat discouraging to me..I'm popping in (not up) on GW several times a day, often as a break from some writing. I do hope I can avoid disabling and re-enabling. One thing for sure, if that was my only option I'd be opening GW much less.

Seriously, though, I look forward to others' responses as well.
    Marie

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

I'm running Firefox on a Mac, and agree that turning Java on and off would be a pain.

For AdBlockPlus, I think the major relevant filters for GardenWeb are:
    http://iv/doubleclick.net/*
    intellitxt.com^

There are a few others that go after specific ads like the Angie's List popup, and some Google ad things. The * is a wild card where any URL that starts with that string gets blocked. That may be what they mean by a pattern. There isn't one source of ads that blocks them all, but at least 95% are coming from a small number of sources. Once you get those, the onesies and twosies are easy.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

idabean--I can't offer anything but sympathy. The banner ads are now running over the thread text when I open them so I can't even read it. I hate to give up GW but I can't stand the ads so it may only be a matter of time.

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

Marie - Are your Firefox and Adblock the latest versions? If not, you might want to do that. I'm using the same thing and nothing is popping here.
    Deb

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Deb has a good point. I use Safari AdBlocker with automatic update. Over the last month the ads had been getting progressively more prevalent, but now they're gone again. AdBlocker probably got updated to a nifty new weapon that counters whatever the latest ads are.

Claire

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

I don't have the latest Firefox, but Adblock Plus updates automatically. No ads here.

I'm sure its just a configuration issue. Did something change in your environment? Sounds like something got disabled.

What filter subscription do you use? (see Adblock Plus Preferences). I use EasyPrivacy+Easylist. My AdblockPlus is version 1.3.1. FF is 3.5.11

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks, GW Friends. I checked and it appears Firefox is up to date and I'm using Adblock Plus. I copied and pasted the GW 'code' or whatever it is called into my ad filter. I've got a stationary ad at the top, but not a wiggling one next to this.

Any other suggestions welcome. I guess GW is trying to increase its revenue.

mt

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No luck. They are back. I am thinking a string of swears. Very Bad Words.
    mt

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Marie, you shouldn't need to paste anything into your ad filter. The predefined filters in EasyList take care of everything.