Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

NH Spring Plant Swap

annie_nh
12 years ago

NH Plant Swap on Sunday June 5th is only 4 weeks away so I guess it is about time to get serious.

You don't have to be from NH. All are welcome.

Plan to arrive at 10 am or earlier.

Come with as few or as many plants as you wish and something for the pot luck if you want to stay for lunch.

Please sign up here so that I can keep track of how many are coming. You might want to mention what plants you may be bringing and what plants you are looking for.

If you have questions you can email me. I'll email directions for any who need them.

So far I have one or two turtle heads, primroses,phlox,one or two monkshood,evening primrose,blue indigo, anemone,and jacobs ladder,blue globe thistle and some annual yellow hibiscus to offer.

Will list more later.

Comments (99)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

forgot to mention that I am more than willing to trade for plants if I have something you would like.

Lisa

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Oops! I read Sheila's list too quickly. Sorry. I'll bring lady's mantle and lamb's ears for Sheila.

I'd love a butterfly weed and yellow mums.

Lambs ears are different from mullein. When they are young, they look sort of similar but mullein puts up that tall stalk with yellow flowers ... I've heard it called a witch's taper. Lambs ears are more whitish gray. If you let them flower it's a pinkish purple color but not taller than 12". The plant gets scraggly if you let it flower.

Blake, I'll try to pot up some clary sage seedlings and hope for better luck than I had with the poppy. I'd like some feverfew.

wahhh! It looks like my Greek oregano didn't make it thru the winter although I've had it a couple of years. It has a white flower and doesn't get tall. Does anyone have any to swap? At Blue Seal I saw an oregano for sale as a perennial but it has pink flowers, gets tall and seeds all over the place.

I'll bring a pasta salad for lunch ... if I don't change my mind!

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello DeFrost,

I will set aside fever few for you. I might be able to get you some greek oregano. I like greek oregano too. That other oregano, whatever the proper name for it, has taken over all parts of my yard from one original little plant! Its pretty when it blooms but it literally spreads everywhere!I tear it up as soon as I see it, and dump it in the compost pile. The greek oregano stay in one place, although, I have a hard time wintering it over.

I can't beleive it is memorial weekend!

Blake

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

Lisa, I was supposed to have a shade garden this year because we were to put a garage on our house. Garages in New England sure to come in handy! The foundation and footings are poured, but then dh spent the framing money on a used RV for us to go on vacation. The framing will have to wait! When that's in, I'll have a nice shady spot. If you have some shade plants to get rid of, I'll have a "holding area" for shade plants until the framing is done.

Believe it or not, the "Bowl of Beauty" peony you gave me did great all summer, and then in late fall something dug it completely up without a trace. I couldn't believe it! No sign of roots or anything at all. One day ti was there and the next day it was gone! I was not happy! What could have done that?!?!

• diane4000
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Finally checking in...I plan to attend and am looking forward to seeing everyone.

I will be bringing lots of creeping Solomon's Seal.

I also have three nicotiana sylvestris (woodland tobacco) plants. These are tubers that I winter over in the basement so they are ready to go and will bloom this year. Someone last year mentioned an interest. (Can't remember who, sorry to say!) Please holler if you're interested in these.

I'm looking for annuals this year. Anyone have any leftovers? Any annuals, especially in red, pink, white, purple (in other words not yellow) would be welcome.

I'll bring some wine.

Diane Raymond

• diane4000
    12 years ago

P.S...

Hello DEIDRE! Are you out there? Which type of geranium are you looking for? The potted type or the wild type? I have both. The wild one is G. sanguineum "New Hampshire" and it is blooming right now. The potted one is Chinese red with a white eye...a cutting from my favorite [potted] geranium (variety unknown).

Everyone, I also have a Forsythia bush available. Please let me know if you are interested, so I'll be sure to dig it up. You can send me mail thru this site.

Diane

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi Diane
    Look forward to seeing you.
    I'd like one of your woodland tobacco plants. I;ll save some of my annuals for you.
    Annie

• rzax
    12 years ago

Plan to bring a basmati rice salad for pot luck.
    I would love a heuchera. And lambs ear for a new silver garden I'm starting. Curious about shade plants for the Black Walnut tree. My husband wants to cut me a new garden around a huge beech we have in the back- he finds it difficult to mow and thought a new bed would be a good idea. Do you think basic shade lovers would do well there. I have an abundance of hosta, Solomons seal, bloodroot, and ground cover stuff like vinca, etc. Looking for guidance.

• deirdre13
    12 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Gata,
    I'm so happy that you're coming! Rosy Returns and Happy Returns would be great, Thanks!
    Diane,
    Any perennial geranium is welcome in my garden, I can never have too many!
    As for my list, I'm not going to be able to bring the ornamental dark leaf rhubarb, as it has been invaded by poison ivy, and is just not worth the trouble!
    I will be bringing, in addition to the other previously mentioned items, Camassia, and a young Alba rose offshoot.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deirdre
    I just looked at a picture of Camassia. It is beautiful. could I have one? I have 2 different varieties of geraniums.
    annie

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

Lisa-
    Has anyone claimed your frosted violet heuchera yet? I'd love to have that one. What's on your want list?

My current list is posted up above, but I'll repost it again and add a couple new ones to the bottom:

couple of heucheras (I have purples, rust-colored ones, and others...no plain green ones)
    Golden Anniversary Lamium
    Baby tomato plants- brandywine, a flavorful pink one (dunno the name- saved seeds from a gifted one last year), and a big red variety ("Deb's" tomato...that's who gave it to me, and what I wrote on the tag :P )
    I have 3 chunks of Golden Tiara
    at least one full-size hosta (green, less than a foot high, and about 2' wide).
    Autumn Joy Sedum- I have 2 pots of this; one has some other upright sedum in it- a yellow/green variegated thing. Not sure what it is; there was only a small (read: tiny) patch of it, so I stuck it in w/one of the AJs.
    Coreopsis grandiflora- small volunteer plantling
    Lupine baby- the generic purple one
    Squash: Early Prolific Straightneck. Have about 8 extras that I don't need (4 are pending trade)
    Zucchini: Fordhook. I have 2 pots with 2 in them, and 1 single one
    Shasta Daisy- "Becky"
    Monarda/Bee Balm- Wintersown last year, tag lost. It's more than likely Raspberry Wine, but in the off chance it isn't, it's Jacob Cline.
    Calendula starts- (from UNK saved seeds) I believe this one was a "blush" something-or-other, but also might be Kablouna Yellow.
    Agastache (the plain blue one)
    Jacob's Ladder- blooming now, so I think if anyone is interested in that one, I'll bring it to the fall swap, but will put your name on it for then.
    Is anyone interested in a Boxwood bush? I have one that I will dig up ONLY if I have a taker.

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

sorry; if you didn't catch that from a previous post "Golden Tiara" is a hosta.

• deirdre13
    12 years ago

Annie,
    I"ll set aside a Camassia for you(it was big, so I divided it in 2). Either geranium will be fine.
    Deirdre

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Hi Tina,

I'll put your name on the frosted violet, not sure that I want anything in return..I'm sure I owe you one..

Lisa

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

somehow my plant swap 2010 post has appeared above this one. don't know how to get rid of it.
    Annie

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

from burtonhill:

Hi Annie,
    I did not see my posting responding to attending your wonderful plant swap so I am posting again. My mother (Ann Southmayd from Londonderry, my sister Kathy Schettino from Maine and myself Lynn Burton from Goffstown will be attending.
    Thanks so much. Lynn

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Hi Annie and Everybody!

Wow! We have a regular reunion going on. I'm so glad to hear that Gata is returning (welcome back!) and this year I plan to get a piece of that eclair ring that I missed out on last year...lol.

Annie - Did you forget about me? I think so! But if you save me some Agastche and basil you're forgiven. I'm bringing you the rooted viburnum I told you about. And the lemon, red pepper, feta cheese, corn cold bowties salad.

Tina - Yes, I want a heuchera. Do you have a pink and yellow one? My list to swap is below. Or I'll bring you a
    perennial bachelor button - deep blue.

Dierdre - You mentioned salvia azurea. I can bring you a piece of a hydrangea or a cranesbill (perennial geranium, bright purple).

Lisa - Any kind of heuchera would be lovely. I can bring you a division of my Nikko Blue hydrangea or check my list.
    Wouldn't heucheras be perfect for your island bed? They're under 2 feet....

Gata - I'll take a piece of your Rosy Returns and if you have a gentian to spare. What would you like from my list.

Sinbadsmom - Kath, could I have your blue/yellow allium? I can bring you a lovely primula japonica, Miller's Crimson. Annie has some of mine in her garden from me that she loves.

Deanna - Your monarda panorama mix and basket of gold would be great. Choose something from me please.

RZAX - I'd love a piece of your thyme

Sheeshrn - Sheila, I can bring you Joe Pye Weed and Heliopsis for your shade garden. May I have some balloon flowers and purple mums? The heliopsis grows anywhere - sun or shade, just doesn't bloom as profusely in shade, but still a good performer.

Defrost - A clary sage seedling for me and a ladies' mantle. Mine just up and died for no reason.

Diane - One of your woodland tobaccos would be awesome. I have a verbascum 'southern charm' seedling you might like.

Does anyone have a spare clethra (sweetspire)? After three years my Bluestone purchase bit the dust and they didn't have any leftover to replace it with...

TO SWAP LIST:

Hydrangea divisions - Nikko Blue
    Heliopsis Golden Plume
    Primula Japonica Miller's Crimson
    Ligularia - Britt-Marie Crawford
    Joe Pye Weed (dark pink)
    Ajuga Chocolate Chip
    Chocolate Mint (smells great)
    Pulmonaria Mrs. Moon
    Creeping Jenny
    Filipendula Kahome
    Astile Sprite
    Purple Dome Aster
    Lady Fern
    Nepeta Walker's Low
    Persicaria Firetail (red)
    Beefmaster Hybrid Tomato Seedling
    Sweet 100 cherry tomato seedling
    Iceplant seedling (delosperma)color unknown
    Daisy Becky
    Lamium
    That's all I can think of right now. Let me know ladies!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Debra I have put some basil aside for you.I will look in my garden to see if I can find the Agastache. I started quite a few plants from seed but the labels got mixed up so not sure which one is Agastache. Hopefully I'll find a good size plant in my garden. If not I'll pot up the seedlings that might be Agastache.
    What is Daisy Becky?

Forecast is still looking good for Sunday
    Annie

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Annie,

Daisy Becky is Shasta Daisy Becky. A nice plant, want a piece? Looking so forward to Sunday!

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Donna

I did manage to pot up some greek oregano. SO I have put that aside for you along with the fever few

Blake

• gata
    12 years ago

Hi All, Looking forward to the swap. I'm bringing a ton of stuff....can't keep it all in my head, but apart from the Hemerocallis' (various varieties) I've got some seedling hostas of interesting blue/leaf qualities, 2 seedling astilbes (not THAT small - color unknown), ladies mantle, a nice Japanese type primrose, a flat of baby European ginger, some seedling geraniums for Dierdre along with others for those who want, and on and on.
    See you all on Sunday!
    Gata
    oh, also 3 left over tomatoes plants - 1 Juliet and 2 of another popular roma type.

12 years ago

Debra, I'd love some Purple Dome Aster and Nepeta Walker's Low!

Blake, can I trade for some more Egyptian onions? Because our garden soil turned out to be so terrible last year I didn't get any bulbs planted from the one you gave me. I'd love to increase my stock! I've got a small hosta that stowed away in a container I bought last year. it's got the light and dark green striped leaf. Let me know if you're interested in that, or you can pick something else from my list!

I have a couple more things to add to my list, so I'll try to post the final list soon. I know I'll be adding Silene Orientalis Sea Thrift.

• beryllium
    12 years ago

Will be there Sunday with Maxine. As I just found out, have no idea what plants I'll bring. We will stay for lunch and I will bring a black bean and corn salad.

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    What an amazing group! Can't wait to meet everyone.
    mmqchdygg: I would be interested in your boxwood bush.
    Blake: I am also interested in a blueberry plant, if they are not all spoken for.
    Gata: Would love to nurture the seedling astilbe. Have lots of shade.
    Will be bringing Maximillian Perennial Sunflower plants, Blue Fescue plants, plus others,
    and something for the lunch table.
    Susan

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan
    We welcome you to our plant swap and look forward to meeting you.

Here is what I think I have promised to the following.

Blake Peony
    Sinbadsmom Yellow Hibiscus
    Lisa Monkshood
    Ruth datura
    Sheila ginger
    Deirdre geraniums
    Diane Annuals
    Debra basil and agastache
    Let me know if I've forgotten anyone I try to keep everything written down but then I lose my notes.

• sasha_nh
    12 years ago

Hi All,

Getting close to my favorite day-
    I've potted up some
    Raven's Wing
    Sub and Substance Hosta
    Tall phlox (jumpers - white and purple maybe)
    Yellow archangel
    White Gooseneck Loosestrife
    Rose Campion
    Turtlehead
    I'll check out the Egyptian onions for
    I'll be digging more later, gonna try to take a little miniature Bee Balm, Lemon Balm and a few other things.
    If anyone would like pink bachelor button let me know.
    Lisa I think the amethyst in snow is a regular BB-got any of the other I'll take it.
    Would love some heuchera and some interesting hosta.
    Shade plants are very welcome this time around.
    Annie not sure what I'll bring for the food table let me know if you want sweets or something for lunch. See you all on Sunday.
    Marsha

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Deanna,

I will set aside a couple of Eypytain onions. I never turn down a hosta!

Susan, I will see if I can find another blueberry bush that is small enough for me to dig up.

Blake

12 years ago

Blake, I know you love hostas!

This is my updated list of things to swap. The new things on the list are first:

Shasta Daisy 'Marconi'
    Spiderwort, purple
    Jerusalem Artichoke, looks just like tall perennial sunflower
    Lavender
    Chives
    Various tomato varieties, seedlings about 3-4" high (Brandywine, Caspian Pink, Alaska, Zhezhna, Moskovich, Cindy's WV, San Francisco Fog, and several more)
    Anise Hyssop regular
    loosestrife
    Creeping Jenny green
    Creeping Jenny 'Goldilocks'
    Monarda 'Panorama Mix'
    Alyssum saxatile 'Golden Queen' or 'Basket of Gold'
    Purple Siberian Irises
    Anthemis tinctoria 'Dyer's Chamomile' or 'Golden Marguerite'
    Anise Hyssop 'Golden Jubilee'
    tomato variety starts to be listed later, smaller seedlings about 3" high
    Sedum 'John Creech'
    mint (I got lots of it if you want it!)

12 years ago

Oops! Forgot to add Silene Orientalis Sea Thrift to that new list! It's ready to be traded.

These are the people I have that want a plant:

Kathie: Alyssum 'Basket of Gold'
    Sheila: purple siberian irises.
    Debra: Monarda 'Panorama Mix' and Alyssum 'Basket of Gold'
    Blake: Hosta

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Blake, thanks, I'm so glad you have some Greek oregano for me. I haven't seen it around. I won't buy something just labeled oregano in case it's the big kind with pink flowers that seeds all over the place.

I begged my husband to dig up the large lady's mantle so I could divide it. I broke my spading fork trying to dig it up last weekend. I will water the divisions with fish emulsion but they might be wilty on Sunday.

I was away for 10 days, of course it rained most of the time I was gone, but I'm so far behind.
    Donna

• sinbadsmom
    12 years ago

Hi Marsha, I would love another one of your ravens wings. I have lots of shade plants let me know what you would like Kathie

12 years ago

Annie, do you have any peonies left and a winterberry? I'd be interested in those if any are available. If you don't see anything on my list, I still have lots of yellow daylilies left, too!

Did your lavender survive the winter?

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deanna, I would like a bit of your
    Sea Thrift
    Is there anything of mine that you would like?
    Annie

12 years ago

How about peonies and/or winterberry? I can bring you a few seathrift and anything else you'd like!

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Hello sasha-nh:

Sum and Substance has been on my wish list for ages! If not already spoken for, I would love to give it a home.
    I hope I might have something you would like in exchange. I am still working on potting up some plants, but definites are
    Maximillian Perennial Sunflowers and Blue Fescue plants. I have some garden accesories I'll be bringing along as well.

*Does anyone have sweet woodruff?

Regards, Susan

• sasha_nh
    12 years ago

Kathie I have your name on a ravens wing I'll take any of your shady plants you're willing to share.
    Susan your name is on a hosta I'll try a bit of blue fescue if it isn't already claimed.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deana
    I have a peony and some winterberry put aside for you.

Debra
    I found my agastache plants in garden so have put that aside with the basil and yes I would love a piece of shasta becky to go with my viburnum.

Diane
    I have some petunias for you and some unnamed annuals. Perhaps you can identify them otherwise it will be a surprise.Don't you just love surprises? Anyway I know they are not yellow because the only yellow annuals I started were celosia and I know which ones are those..

I'm just goofy this morning. Been starting my onion soup for Sunday.
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Susan, I can bring you a poy of sweet woodruff.

This is my trade list so far...

susan- sweet woodruff
    tina-frosted violet
    annie-cherry bells
    sinbadsmom-hens and chicks and sedum angelina
    deidre-geraniums
    deanna-peony, will wait till fall to bring hosta
    Marsha- hosta-mayapple-astlbe
    rzax-heuchera

I would love to have from GATA- a pink daylily for my Mom

Marsha- pink bachelors button (i lost my amethyst in snow)and some phlox for the island in lowell

RZAX-bloodroot

If I missed anyone, please let me know

Debra, I would have given the alpha omega the heuchera starts but it is full sun and won't be getting watered regularly...I think they will fry!

Annie, not sure what I will be bringing for food but I will have something.

Lisa

12 years ago

Annie, just to clarify, my old posting was wrong. I do have Sea Thrift, but it's not Silene orientalis, it's Armeria maritama. I had the common name right and the latin name wrong.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deanna
    I just looked up Sea Thrift so any sea thrift is fine.

Marsha
    Anything you want to bring for food is fine but I don't have many who have said they were bringing something sweet
    Susan
    I would like some blue Fescue
    I just heard that CT and Ma got badly hit with the storms yesterday. Did any of you have damage?
    Annie

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Have reserved Blue Fescue plants : sasha-nh (TY for S&S hosta) and annie nh
    Will bring additional for the taking/trading. Its a very pretty plant that can be ignored once planted. It is not particular about soil either.

Lisa(ishareflowers), thank you so much for bringing sweet woodruff for me!

No tornado damage here, although high winds did take down a few tree limbs. Just north of me by 10 miles did take a hit, especially Sturbridge and Brimfield. Springfield and Munson have unbelievable serious damage where the tornado touched down. Very sad the amount of property damage sustained in the tornado path, which seemed to follow along the towns on the Mass Pike.
    Susan

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello Annie

I will be bringing home baked cookies. Haven't decided which ones maybe chochip maybe snickododdals( spell) maybe both!

Blake

12 years ago

I'll bring desert, too. Haven't decided, either. That's life!

• mmqchdygg
    12 years ago

You don't want me to cook.
    I bring plants :D

• sheeshrn
    12 years ago

DeFrost,
    have your bw and yellow mums any shade plant will do.
    Some one asked for Wood drift, lisa is bring some I will too.
    LISA- you left me off your list...and I thought I was your favorite!!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Sheila, The shade plants that I listed are for you....haha
    I thought it was Marsha posting.

LIsa

• sheeshrn
    12 years ago

To confuse people more, Marsha and I are both looking for shade plants this year. No worries, we'll duke it out over who gets what.

12 years ago

I'm bringing purple Siberian irises, and you'll have so much no need for any duking. In fact, I can bring you lots more this fall, too.

Do those things ever stop?! They're like the loaves and fishes feeding the 5,000. No matter how many I give away I still have tons that need to go.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good
    You can have both.
    I wouldn't mind a bit of lavender also. Mine didn't fair too well

• becky Scott
    9 years ago

We're having another swap.. June 7, 2015Link to June 2015 swap