Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

9th Annual NH Spring Plant Swap Final Information

annie_nh
13 years ago

The NH Plant Swap is June 6th at 10 AM rain or shine.

Here is information for those of you who are new to this swap.. You donÂt have to be from New Hampshire to attend. All are welcome.

Bring as few or as many plants as you wish. Also bring a lawn chair and bug spray. While we are setting up we will have coffee and goodies and after the swap I'll have soup and salad for those of you who would like to stay and chat.You are welcome to make a contribution to the food table .

If the weather is nice we will set up our plants on the lawn and then I will explain our way of swapping which is pretty laid back. If it rains ( let's hope not) we will set up the plants in the barn and the format for swapping will be even more laid back. At the end of the swap you can put any plants that you don't want to take back home in the middle of the lawn and any one who wants them can take them home. No one will go home empty handed.

Please respond to this post if you plan to come and indicate how many are coming with you so that I can plan for parking ( and have enough soup)

I encourage you to list on this Post the plants you are bringing and plants you are looking for so that you can set up some swaps ahead of time. It will also give everyone an idea about what plants to bring.

I will email directions to my farm to those of you who need them

I'm looking forward to seeing my old friends and meeting some new ones.

Annie

PS

It has been suggested that we add our Garden Web names to our name tag so that we can match faces to names that we have been chatting with on the WEB. Sounds like a good idea. If you want to design your name tag before you arrive, feel free to do so. Otherwise IÂll have blank ones for you to fill out when you get here.

Comments (79)

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Annie, I have some lavender. It's either Lady or Munstead. They were both planted together so I can't tell which it is. I'd be happy to bring you a plant. It was planted last year so it's a nice healthy 2-year old plant. I'll still bring you some more yellow daylilies in the fall!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Annie, I'd love a start of the blue geranium.

I think I have my list together now.

I have variegated kiss me over the garden gate for Sheila and Marsha.

cimicifunga black negligee for sinbadsmom

something special for Deanna......

amythest in snow for Sheila or Marsh, can't remember which one.

per. scented geranium for Sheila or Marsha

2 large pots of helianthus lemon queen

sweet woodruff

salvia artemesia

bleeding heart

2 large aruncus

ajuga chocholate chip

heuchera black out- small

heuchera marmalade - large

artemesia oriental limelight

lamium- yellow

sedum- yellow flowering ground cover

malva volunteers, will bloom this year

two types of perennial geraniums

maybe a few types of hosta if I have a chance to dig them

Annie, what can I bring for you??

oh and the var. sedum and maybe a start of of sedum xenox

I think thta's all for now!

Lisa

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Deanna
    You will have to tell me what soil and sun you have your lavender in. I have had no luck in growing it but I love it and want it.
    It looks like we will have about 35 attending on Sunday. I'm praying that the sun will shine but we'll have fun anyway rain or shine.
    Annie

• sasha_nh
    13 years ago

Hey all,

Annie, I think you can add two more this year-more friends are interested and may come.

So far I've potted up some Raven's Wing (cow parsley), purple coneflower, a bit of Yellow Archangel and a lone Endless Summer Hydrangea (it needs a good home-I have a few and no matter where I put it this one it is just not happy with me)

Defrost49 if you have enough I'd love some compost worms

Mostly looking for shady plants this time around-I'm running out of sunny spaces. (who was the swapper with all the beautiful hosta? I think he only came once)

And Lisa....you are too kind. I love the iris you gave me from Larry's garden.
    See you all Sunday
    Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa
    The chocolate Joe Pye weed that you gave me last fall didn't survive the winter. I am so bummed. Would you any chance have a small piece of it that I could try again?
    The chocolate coral bells are doing beautifully.
    I've got a blue geranium saved for you
    Marsha
    I would like some butterfly weed.
    Annie

13 years ago

First off, here are pics of the "extras" I took home from the fall swap and will be bringing back to share. We can take maybe a couple each and let some newbies have some, too. Even if you don't have any flowers to swap you can go home with something!

These are unknowns:

There are two of this particular unknown:

This one has barely popped out. Ignore the lady's mantle leaves in the background.

This was labeled moonbeam coreopsis, but it sure looks like something different.

These are the knowns:

knautia

hibiscus:

phlox

Obedient plant, and I do believe this picture is upside down. Please turn your computer upside down for proper viewing.

Blue cardinal flower

moonbeam coreopsis

Jacob's ladder

And I'll be bringing one of this annual, Verbena 'Obsession Apricot'

13 years ago

Annie, I also meant to ask you for directions again. I apparently deleted my fall directions from my e-mail account.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Pic #2 is Valerian.
    Pic #6 is Iberis

My list now includes a couple small divisions each of:

Yarrow- a dk pink
    Sedum- {{gwi:1070690}}
    Sedum- "Neon"
    Sedum- "Matrona"
    (All of my sedums up for sharing are "upright" types, not groundcovers)
    Shasta Daisy- "White Knight"
    Shasta Daisy- 2 "unks"
    Daylily-

(mine doesn't get that reddish if your monitor shows it very red. Mine is more of a dark peachy)
    I'll try to get some Coreopsis Grandiflora, maybe some Mountain Bluet, and I think I can snag some phlox that's growing away from the main patch. Oh, and maybe some Bee Balm "Raspberry Wine" if anyone is still wanting that. I know I saw a couple references of people bringing it already.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deanna
    Your email address isn't listed on YOur Page so I sent directions via the Garden Web. If you don't get them then email me so that I can email them back to you. I think I remember you live north of Concord. if that is not correct I'll send you a different set of directions.
    annie

13 years ago

OK, I'm keeping the valerian. One of my most wanted plants and apparently the Valeriana officianalis I winter sowed isn't valerian. It has rounded leaves. Wonder what I've been nurturing all these months?! As soon as I read valerian I ran out to smell the flowers. Not a noticeable smell yet, but buds are just opening! I'm overcoming my guilt at taking home so many extra plants and keeping that one right here!

That iberis certainly is a pretty plant.

13 years ago

Idabean, if you're still coming and can find something on my list you'd like, I'd be interested in the doronicum. So pretty!

• sheeshrn
    13 years ago

Ok Deanna and Blake Butterfly Weed for both, I will bring extra for those who miss the posts. If you can spare some Creeping Jenny I would love some! Deanna first unknown looks like pink bachelor button.

• kimmid
    13 years ago

Evening everyone!! I just wanted to say hi and have a great swap. I hope some of you remember me, i was the one who came last spring with my husband and twin sons. I was going into nursing school but trying to be a gardener as well.. haha. I survived my first year of school and I was out working on my gardens this weekend and am so happy with everything i got at last years swap. I cannot thank everyone enough for their generosity last year, i went from a lonely rhodie in our new house to a lovely starter garden that I have cultivated and added to. I wish i could come but i think i will wait until i have things to trade. Plus this year i will be at a Reiki training camp on that day until 4. So again, just stopped in to wish you a happy swap and a heartfelt thanks!!!
    Kimmi

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

MMQCHDYGG,

I would love to swap for your frosty morn and neon sedums, whatcha looking for??

Lisa

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    13 years ago

I'd love to have the following if still unclaimed:

lshibley - Choc chip ajuga and monarda
    sinbadsmom - dutchman's breeches
    idabean - monarda
    ishareflowers - artemesia, cimicifuga, lysmanchia,heuchera b.o.
    deanna_in_nh - alyssum
    sheeshrn - white coneflower
    sasha-nh - hydrangea

In exchange I can offer iris 'immortality' and could pot up some white creeping phlox, a few alchemilla, phlox 'david'. Of course I just recycled all my small pots so I might have to improvise.

I will be bringing ice and drinks too.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Okay, so I posted to the wrong plant swap but now I would like to come to both.
    Annie, can you email me directions and let me know what I can bring besides plants?

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Have two of these. Out they go; they're cool, but I don't prefer the gray foliage, and they don't 'go' with anything else.

They're happily living in a neglected, dry portion of my garden, so they don't need any care.
    For the record, when you get them, that's as big as they've ever gotten in my yard. I see now that the descriptions say 12" tall or 15" tall and 18 wide. Maybe mine are small because of the 'dry, neglected' real estate that it's living in. But they don't seem to be complaining.

Anyway, that's what else I'll be adding to the list. And maybe some daylilies. If I bring daylilies, they MAY not be marked, since many of the tags have gone MIA, however, I don't allow ditch lilies to live in my gardens, so you can be assured they'll all be hybrids.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Common milkweed.
    I might be able to come up with a few more that are growing in odd places, but I have at least one little one potted up.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whitegarden
    Welcome to our swap. You can bring cold drinks and ice. That would be great.
    You haven't listed your email on Your Page so I will have to send directions through GW. If you don't get them, email me direct and I'll send them again.
    Annie

• PRO
    13 years ago

Thanks Annie. I am going to try to make it, but you are a long haul for me. I'll do my best.

13 years ago

Two people actually want something on my list. YEA!! Whitegarden, I'll have the alyssum, and sheeshrn I'll have a healthy Creeping Jenny 'Goldilocks' for you.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

Plans seem to be changing for me. If I don't come, my offer on plants stands. You can come dig up european ginger, monarda, astermoeia, aster Alma Potche, tovaria Painter's Palette, ground cover geraniums Spessart and magenta forgotitsname; I have a geranium magnificum to get rid of, and viburnum suckers. God knows what else I'll have running amok.

I live in Lexington MA, only 50 min. max from Manchester NH.

I hope some people will take me up on my offer. I"ll provide Iced tea and coffee. About 20 minutes from me is Mindy's Arboretum in Winchester. That will blow your socks off.
    Bring a buddy?
    Sorry about disappointing people who wanted my plants. They'll be here if you come.
    Marie

• sasha_nh
    13 years ago

Hey All,

Just reading back and I was hoping Annie would give me a bit of her blue geranium. Sheila is the sister with the butterfly weed...I think I can talk her into giving you some.

• lilysgarden
    13 years ago

deanna_in_nh

Photo#1 is Centaurea dealbata

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sasha/Marsha

I have saved you a blue geranium.

Annie

13 years ago

I'll also be bringing one Thunbergia 'Sunrise Surprise' and one sweet pea that is wither 'King's High Scent' or 'Royal' mixed.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Oh! Before I forget!

Does anyone have any extra tomatoes that they sowed this year? I don't want to buy them due to last year's fiasco with blight, but out of 40+ tomatoes sown, I have one. ONE. The first batch bit the dust in the frost, or never came up in a second sowing. Not sure what's up with that.

I'm looking for 9 more to fill my 'tomato slots' in my veggie patch. Will welcome any offerings, even if they are volunteers in your own garden that you'll be yanking out!
    Thanks!

13 years ago

I have tomato seedlings I can't plant, Tina. I'll bring some. See my e-mail to you earlier today as to why i can't plant them out. Got several varieties.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have some tomatoes for you, mmqchdygg I had them tagged but when I transplanted them the tags got lost. I think they are either Romas or Big Boys
    Annie

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Hello All,

If anyone has any Tall Red Pholx, borage seedlings or sweet annie seedlings, that they can share that would be great.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been watching the weather reports. Cross your fingers. Sort of iffy for Sunday so bring your raincoat/umbrella.
    The swap will go on rain or shine. Right now it look like possible thunder showers.
    We will have a good time no matter what the weather.
    Annie

13 years ago

Tina, can I claim the White Knight Shasta?

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Sure can!
    Thank you, Annie & Deanna for the tomatoes! I was getting desperate!

My list:
    Lisa- Frosty Sedum
    Deanna- White Knight Shasta
    Annie- Sedums

Oh, and the comment on common milkweed was a HAVE not a want, for anyone that I confused.
    Gotta go pot up some more stuff; I'm off!

Deanna- I'll email you, too, but if you wanna meet at 9am at the intersection of 126 and 28, that will be great. DH decided to come, so we can either figure out if we can pack it all into one car from there, or we can follow each other over.

• rzax
    13 years ago

You are all much more organized than I this year. I plan to come but won't be able to stay for the soup and goodies everyone always brings. Have a family obligation mid-day.
    I've got very basic stuff this year, old fashioned digitalis, lily of the valley, a variegated hosta, some gooseneck loosestrife and I'm headed out to the garden now for some Siberian Iris. I hope some of this is of interest to the group.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

MMQCHDYGG, Thank you for reserving the frosty morn sedum for me. I have a few tomato plants for you!

Annie,I can't get another division off the joe pye. It looks so lush and full but it only has 3 stalks and I'm afraid that I'll kill the plant.

Is anyone interested in some var. kiss me over the garden gate, it reseeded all over my pool garden. It is beautiful but needs to be deadheaded before setting seed.

Annie, can I get an addy AGAIN! I think I remember but would like to be sure before heading out in the Am.

Lisa

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Hi all,

A couple of people posted that they wanted a few items on my list, and I dropped the ball and never responded. I'm afraid the list of haves, wants, and exchanges started to be intimidating! You are all so wonderfully organized. Anyway, I will bring all plants requested with your names on them plus extras and just worry about a trade when I get there. Looking forward to this! Please add one more to the count. I'm bringing my mom with some items from her well established garden. She isn't really looking for anything, just wanted to meet some friendly gardeners. I hope non- homemade snacks are ok to bring. That's all I have to offer at the moment.

Lisa from Plymouth

• pjhendrick
    13 years ago

Is the plant swap still on for tomorrow? The weather forecast doesn't look too promising. I attended the swap last June, and really enjoyed it. Here is a list of some of the plants I will be bringing. Please feel free to make suggestions or requests.
    *Yellow raspberries ("Fall Gold" I think--two crops per year)
    *hostas (both solid green and variegated--white and green)
    *Jack-in-the pulpit--I have a lot of these
    *spirea (pink) I have a lot of these as well
    *a few pachysandra
    *lupine (mostly blue/purple)
    *echinacea (mostly pink, but some white as well)
    *columbine (white)
    *artensis? (small green & yellow variegated plant)
    *mint? (very invasive)
    *chives? (you can't kill them)
    *forsythia
    *a small sedum with a yellow flower
    *bamboo (green, running, but only if someone wants it)
    *bleeding heart (tall variety)
    *siberian irises
    *strawberries (could be June-bearing, or everbearing)
    *mums (not sure about color)
    *large ferns
    *Soloman seal
    *Globe thistle
    *I have a lot of a plant that might be butterfly bush, but it might be a weed as well. I can bring a few of these. I hope the weather holds out. I hope to see everyone again.
    Peter (coming from Milford, MA)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Hi Peter,

I was hoping that you would be coming! I owe you a peony, would you like a deep pink or bowl of beauty?? I'll check the thread in the am and dig it in the morning for you. If you don't see this post I'll choose for you....

I would love some jack in the pulpit and mint if you have enough.

Annie, I just made up some macaroni salad for the food table.

Lisa

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I hope that you all have a great swap regardless of the weather, though I hope it's not rainy & the air is a bit drier than today. Unfortunately I can't come, though I would have loved to put some faces to the names I see here on the NEng forum. Maybe next time . . .

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Marsha, I missed your message until this morning. I won't have compost worms for you today but I can IOU. Hope we meet up today.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Annie, Thank you for hosting another great swap. I came home with about 10 new plants, that's seven more han I planned on! I left without my pasta bowl again, I did the same thing last fall!

It was great to see everyone and to meet all of the newcombers.

Thank you to everyone that shared plants with me and to the people who took my divisions and gave them new homes.

Annie, please don't forget that the heuchera that I got for this year needs shade.

See you all in the fall

Lisa

• blaketaylore
    13 years ago

Hello Annie,

Thank you so much for hosting such a delightfully fun swap. Michael and I had a wonderful time. Mother nature was so good in holding off the heavy showers and thunder storms during the swap; but as soon as we got home and pulled into our driveway the heavens opened up, the wind picked up, and the low boom of thunder crashed all around us! Did it get that bad back in New Hampshire or was that just the weather here in Maine?

Lunch was yummy and it so relaxing chatting with everyone.

As usual, I went home with a car load of new plants. Thank you for the moranda, and the honeysucke bush.

See you in the fall, if not before.

Blake

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Annie!

My Mom and I had a wonderful time. We met so many fun people and great gardeners, and I am excited to have come home with some wonderful plants. I learned a lot and can't wait to see new gardening friends again. Thank you again!

Lisa

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

As always, a wonderful time at Annies- rain or shine! I'm sorry I forgot to put in for good weather; will try not to forget for the fall one.

Thank you to everyone who sent me back home with some new additions to my gardens; special thanks to Deanna, Annie and Lisa for the tomatoes!

I started a "Recipe Box" thread for anyone who would like to post their recipes. I especially liked the eclair, cheesecake, and the yellow/green/white oh-so-springy looking salad thingy! Do post your recipes! Thanks again, everyone!

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Thanks, Annie, for another wonderful swap. My friend Sue was nervous and shy about swapping but really enjoyed it and was pleased the spiderworts from her sister's garden and her spotted lungwort found new homes. We both came home with wonderful treasures. The pot luck was fabulous, so many great cooks, and it was nice to enjoy talking with everyone.
    Sinbadsmom followed us to Uncanoonuc Perennials where we had just enough time to wander around and get in the car before the rain really hit. We followed directions to the lupine field in Dunbarton but wished the rain didn't obscure the view. We took back roads to Concord and had to pull over because the rain was so bad but the sun was out when we got to Sue's house.
    Thanks everyone, as well as Annie, for making it a great day.

• sasha_nh
    13 years ago

Annie,

Thanks so much for hosting the swap -as usual one of my favorite days of the year.

Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for coming to the swap.I think everyone had a great time. I know I did.
    I can't believe the food you people brought. It was gourmet awesome. I hope we get recipes .
    Those of you who left things behind, I have put them on top of the refrigerator and you can pick them up in the fall.
    I was out today starting to plant all my treasures.
    Lisa, I have put the coral bells in a shady moist area vey near my red astilbe. I will be giving it tender loving care.
    I also planted my chocolate joe Pye weed in a place of honor in my garden. It is just awesome. How tickled I am, Deidre, to have this beautiful plant. I also planted dahlias, sedums,jack in the pulpits, lavender,and butter fly weed all wonderful plants
    I will be getting up early tomorrow to plant the rest of my treasures
    I put some pictures on Facebook
    If you are not a member you can ask to be my friend and that should get you on.

• dfaustclancy
    13 years ago

Thank you Annie and all the others for a wonderful swap day. My husband and I really enjoyed walking thru your gardens (again) and seeing everyone's offerings was terrific. I came home with lots of stuff and I think some folks were happy to get my primroses. We didn't get a chance until today to plant them out, so I'll be diggin holes today... Thanks again for a wonderful day and to all the wonderful folks who are gardeners and stewards of the earth, God Bless You.

Annie, please ask to be my friend on Facebook -- I can't find you. I'm Debra Faust-Clancy, thanks! I would love to see the photos.

• burtonhill
    12 years ago

Hello Annie,
    Once again my mother (Ann Southmay from Londonderry) and myself (Lynn Burton from Goffstown) would love to attend your plant swap. Not sure yet what plants we will be bring but sure we will bring something for the food table.
    Thanks for all you do.

• sicula
    12 years ago

Thank you Annie, for the swap, as usual it was a great time.
    I love to be there every year. I hope you are feeling well. Thank you again Piera