Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

Nurseries in NH

annie_nh
13 years ago

I'm looking for some new nurseries or garden centers to visit here in NH or northern MA.Any suggestions? Has anyone visited Rolling Green Nursery in Greenland NH?

A few years ago someone posted a list of all recommended nurseries in all New England. Does anyone happen to have it?

Annie

Comments (13)

• sedum37
    13 years ago

I posted the list. It is outdated as some nurseries have closed etc. I had high hopes to update it but life kept getting in the way. You can see the old version in the link below (PDF). I would double check any nursery on the list.
    Have you visited Lake Street Garden Center in Salem, NH? This used to be a favorite of mine when I worked only a couple of miles from it.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Nurseries PDF file

• vickima
    13 years ago

Have you been to Mason Brook NurseryâÂÂ? I bought an azalea from them last week after I got much very helpful advice from them on shrub choices. The annuals and perennials all looked incredibly healthy and when I commented on it, they said they fertilize with compost tea.

Every year they are getting a little bigger and a little better - not a huge garden center. Definitely worth a visit. (FYI no affiliation, just live nearby and am glad to have a good local source - I've been to so many not-so-good ones)

482 Churchill Road, Mason, NH 03048-4713(603) 878-0088âÂÂ

• nhmom2four
    13 years ago

I love Wentworth in Rollinsford (just outside Dover). The people who work there are very friendly and knowledgeable and they have a huge variety. I have bought so much stuff from them that I feel like they ought to roll out the red carpet and start the trumpets when I drive in. I sent my neighbors who had been using another nursery in Stratham and they were amazed at Wentworth.

Barb in Durham

• candogal
    13 years ago

Annie,

Have you ever been to the House by the Side of the Road in Wilton? You're much more experienced than me, so I can't judge for you on varieties, etc. But it's family owned, the owner works there herself, and I've always gotten great advice there. Once the owner helped me diagnose a problem with my jade plant - I brought it to her. All my house plants are from there, a shrub or several, and some of my perennials. (I'm usually too cheap to buy perennials at a nursery full-priced.)

When my kids were younger, we'd go in the winter. My son has been crazy about turtles for years, and they have a small indoor turtle pond. Nowadays, I drive by on my way to work, and it's been stressful at work this year. They open really early, and this winter I kept inventing excuses to stop in for a few minutes. Sometimes you just need that warm green-ness in the winter, you know?

- Tricia

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

annie, i've alw thought Perennials by Susan (Kierstead) in Amherst was the best going.she is so knowledgeable.
    best,
    mindy

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Nicole's Greenhouse in Concord just relocated this season from West St downtown to Rte 106. It's HUGE!

Another thumb's up for Wentworth in Rollinsford- always a nice selection.

Jungle Jim's is a few-years new in Epsom on Rte 4, but I haven't been significantly impressed enough to go back more than twice (the second time only confirmed that I was unimpressed the first time)

There's a nice little place in Peterborough, although I can't remember the name of it (yeah, that's helpful)...

• sue36
    13 years ago

I love, love, love Rolling Green Nursery. Definitely worth a visit. They have some trees, but where they shine is shrubs and especially perennials. The staff is very helpful as well. My neighbors also love to garden and every time one of us goes there we joke about how you can't leave without buying over $100 worth of plants.

Wentworth is also nice, but nowhere near the selection of perennials as Rolling Green. They have a huge house plants selection, though. And a lot of annuals.

Stratham Circle Nursery is in the same general area as the above two and has lots and lots of trees and shrubs. They also carry perennials, but not the selection that Rolling Green has. They don't carry house plants.

So, Rolling Green is my go-to place for perennials and some shrubs, Stratham Circle for trees and shrubs, and Wentworth for annuals, houseplants, the occasional perennial and smaller shrub.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

Sue- THANK YOU for the great recommendation for Rolling Green! I didn't know they existed, but will make a POINT of visiting soon after visiting their website.

• nhmom2four
    13 years ago

Sue,
    Thanks for the Rolling Green and Stratham Circle tips. I went to Stratham Circle yesterday afternoon and they do have a ton of trees and shrubs. They also had a large rose and daylily selection. I am going to go to Rolling Green after I get back from my older daughter's college graduation next week. (It was so cold yesterday afternoon that I didn't have time to look at the stuff at Stratham as much as I would have liked.)

Barb

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to Rolling Green and Wentworth. I've been to House by the Side of Road and Lakeside Gardens which are terrific by the way. I tried to go to Perennials by Susana quite a few years ago but couldn't find it.Will try again using MapQuest
    I'm going to Concord on Thursday so will look up Nicole's Greenhouse.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Annie

• gardenbear1
    13 years ago

I was just up at House by the Side of the Road this week, I try to get up there 2 or 3 times in the summer, I love to visit the cactus room first and then hit the shade plants, lots of woodland plants for my shade garden, they have some good deal on plants and its just fun going to look around, I found some iris that I haven't seem here in Springfield, they didn't have any roses yet, but will within the next 2 weeks so I'll be going back.

Bear

• thelittleredshed
    13 years ago

Love, love, love Churchill's in Exeter!

Here is a link that might be useful: Churchill's Gardens

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Have you ever been to Mason Hollow in Mason NH? They specialize in hostas, but they do have plenty of other things. I love going there and chatting with the owner. Sue is extremely friendly and helpful. Knows everything about hosta and is very active in hosta society things. Her husband is the trees and shrubs expert.

Tower Hill Botanic Garden in W. Boylston, MA may be too far for you, but they are having their annual Plant Sale on June 5. THat is quite an adventure!!