Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My most favorite nursery

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 9:45

This year, being retired, I have had time to visit several new places. Most of them were names that I saw in posts here.
I went to the Farmer's Daughter on rte. 138 in Wakefield, RI last Friday, and went back yesterday to see more of it. I have never seen the variety of plants that I saw there, although Haskells in New Bedford does have a few more conifer choices. But overall, the Farmer's Daughter has just about anything you could want. Lots of perennials, shrubs and vines as well as garden decor and annuals. Many I have not seen before, at least not for sale locally. Seeing the plants live rather than in a catalog or online is so much better. They have a good choice of cacti, succulents, alpine and rock garden plants. Not much in the way of fruit trees, but other than that there's not much missing. Plenty of herbs, veggies and bedding annuals. It's laid out very nicely, with everything labeled and pretty much priced on the pots. The plants are all so healthy looking too! There are beautiful display gardens and lots of display areas here and there. I recommend it highly. And no, I don't work for them or have any relatives there! LOL!

I just think you'd enjoy a visit there.

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My most favorite nursery

Thanks for the tip. I'm not far from there. Might be a nice Sunday destination!

I also like Hart's Greenhouse in Canterbury, CT. Not a lot of unusual things, but everything looks great and their service is fantastic. Last year I searched high and low for some bottlebrush buckeye. No one in my area carried it. The folks at Hart's offered to order it for me this spring. I now have three in my yard off to a great start.

o

bill, have you been to Tranquil Lake yet, just east of Prov. in Rehoboth Ma.? I'd be vry interested in your comparison between it and Farmer's Daughter.
best,
mindy

o

I pass by Farmer's Daughter fairly regularly now that I've changed my route to work...I keep meaning to stop in. (When I'm not on my way to work lol) - I was debating doing their container gardening class - but I'm not sure I can wait 3 more weeks to get my large container going. I'm definitely going to stop in there when it's time for me to put it together, though...maybe next week after I get back to town.

o

Patchwork, yes I have been to Hart's and it is very nice. I usually couple it with a visit to Logee's since for me the drive is worth it to do both.

Mindy, I have not been there, but will go soon now that you mentioned it!

KPaquette, I don't think you'll be disappointed! And they have a very large selection of really nice containers.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here