Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

My beautiful pyracantha......

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

is dead. I had a beautiful pyracantha trained onto a trellis for several years now and noticed this year it never turned bright green and there was no new growth happening. The berries from last fall never fell off and all turned black. So, I did a bit of online research and found out it had "pyracantha scab". Turns out I should have been spraying it with a fungicide all along. My famous last words are, "I didn't know"! I guess I do know now. I have some small pyracantha growing in pots in the back of the garage and am considering replanting one of those in the spot but then I will have to spray. Do you think I should?

Comments (6)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

javaandjazz, I love pyracantha but have never grown one. I'm sorry you lost yours. I think it's a great that you have some small ones in pots!

I have never used any kind of fungicide or pesticide or herbicide and seem to manage fine. Even with roses. If a plant is known to be susceptible to something, I will try to take precautions or avoid the plant all together. In the case of pyracantha, I wonder if it was growing in full sun and if it had good air circulation? I would think it is a vigorous grower that must need pruning to keep it open for air circulation?

As far as putting it in the same spot again, since you already have plants, I might experiment by planting them in different locations, that might improve the air circulation and see which one does best. I wouldn't put it back in the same spot because there might be something in the soil there that would infect a new plant. Maybe it's a good opportunity to try a Clematis there or a Honeysuckle or similar?

If you do plant the small pyracanthas in different locations, I would also try to keep it pruned in as open a manner as possible to allow for sun and light to get into the interior of the plant.

You may still end up with a problem, but at least you will have tried to reduce the chances of it, with some small changes.

• cloud_9
    11 years ago

I wanted to give my condolences! That plant was gorgeous!

Are you sure that is what killed your plant? I just Googled it and read, "The blackening of the fruit is the most serious symptom of the disease." at the IPM website. Perhaps you could check with CT Cooperative Extension and see if they could confirm the diagnosis or give you another. If it was indeed what killed your plant, I wouldn't plant another pyracantha near that spot because there will still be the spores that caused the disease still present. You would just be setting yourself up for round after round of spraying. Is there anyplace else you could replant?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the blackened fruit Deb. I cut it down last night. That's my only area for this plant. I don't have any another space for the trellis. Oh well.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Oh, too bad! I remember that plant and it was indeed beautiful! Geez, when I saw the title of this post I thought we were going to get some new and improved photos, so I was saddened to hear the news that it died.

I know nothing about this plant or the disease, but I think I would save one of the small ones and let it live in the pot, and do some research about how long to wait or what, if anything, to do to the spot if you want to replant in the same spot. I wouldn't just replant so soon. Pehaps by waiting or doing something that is recommended you can avoid the disease again or at least minimize the chances of reoccurence.

I personally don't like to use sprays and such, both from an environmental standpoint and a laziness standpoint, but if that seems to be the only option, that is up to you to decide whether the plant is worth the work.

Good luck! Really! I hope there is some way you can have this beautiful plant again!

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

Richie ... I agree on not replanting in the same spot, at least not for a couple of years. However, if it's any consolation... I have SIX of your babies, growing beautifully and quite large. So if you need to replace it in a couple of years, I can "re-gift" one!!

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks marty, I have quite a few growing in back of the garage myself. I am thinking that if I had the shrub in more sunlight that maybe, just maybe it would have been ok.