Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunt4carl

Garden Gnomes at Chelsea Flower Show ???

hunt4carl
10 years ago

Regardless of your personal P.O.V., thought the Yankee
contingent of gardeners might enjoy this amusing aside!

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Gnomes at Chelsea Flower Show

Comments (9)

• carol6ma_7ari
    10 years ago

About time! When I visited the Gardening Museum in London 2 years ago, I bought a book on the history of garden gnomes, written in all seriousness. They seem kitschy to us, but in Germany and England (and other countries), centuries back, they represented good and/or mischievous spirits.

So what do we have? gazing globes, fountains, yarn "spirit eyes", plastic owls to scare birds, painted mottos and poems, wind chimes, wind spinners, prayer flags, chairs, lairs, stairs, and fairs. Oh, and plants. And if you have a sundial, what's the part that sticks up to cast a shadow called? Gnomon, that's what. Gnome-on.

Carol

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

That made me laugh! I have a few gnomes scattered about my gardens, but no plans to take them to a formal gathering! It's ok with them; they're happier here!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

That was fun! I don't have any gnomes myself, but don't have anything against them either.

Great post, Carol. Gnome on!!

:)
    Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

I googled

gnomes at Chelsea flower show

GW won't let me post the direct link to images, but if you click on images rather than web you get a lot of great gnome pictures at the Flower Show.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Wed, May 22, 13 at 18:33

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Even Better, just google Gnomes at Chelsea ....etc
    and your most elaborate gnomes wishes will come true.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Even Better, just google Gnomes at Chelsea ....etc
    and your most elaborate gnomes wishes will come true.

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Love it! Thanks for a good chuckle, Carl.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    10 years ago

LOL-I confess to having one of the little fellows myself.He originally belonged to my mother-in-law and my son loved playing with him in her garden when he was small. Now he is in my garden and my GD loves him.Last year when she was three she accidently knocked him off his rock perch and came running in to me crying " Nana,Nana,the little man fell and bwoke!!" Well-had to glue his head back on.and he's back out there this year. He even spent winter inside as a decoration since she thought he was cold outside.Long live the Gnome!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

The May 2013 E-Newsletter from Plant Delights Nursery says:

"The garden world was shaken to its core this month with the announcement that EnglandâÂÂs Chelsea Flower Show had agreed to temporarily rescind its long-time ban on garden gnomes for its 100 anniversary. This is the equivalent of US Open golfers being allowed to compete in Speedos and flip flopsâ¦it just doesnâÂÂt happen. Until now, gnomophobia ran rampant at Chelsea, where the only thing at Chelsea that was allowed to get in the way of the plants were the upturned noses of the UKâÂÂs gardening elite. Garden gnomes, as you may be aware, are the antithesis of everything Chelsea, since they are associated with the less tasteful gardens of the great unwashed lower class. Reportedly, many exhibitors enjoyed the relaxation of the gnome ban for a year, while others stayed as far away from the gnomes as possible. Even singer Elton John donated his famous pink rhinestone-studded sunglasses to adorn one of the gnomes auctioned for a garden education charity.

Speaking of gnomes, you may not be aware that some experts on the subject think gnomes arenâÂÂt as meek and mild as they are often portrayed in the press. Author Chuck Sambuchino has actually written a book, How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attackâ¦IâÂÂm not making this up. If you start feeling a soft spot for gnomes and are thinking of including them in your garden, read this book first. Then, of course, there is the wonderfully educational Gnome Management in the Garden video thatâÂÂs also a must see from researchers at Utah State.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gnome Management in the Garden video