Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

NH Plant Swap Part 2 Final Details

annie_nh
11 years ago

Hi Everyone

Time to tell me if you are coming, whether you plan to stay for lunch(need to know how much French Onion Soup to make) and if so what you might bring for the food table.

Date is Sunday June 3rd, time is 10am.As you probably know you don't have to come from NH. All are welcome.

If you care to, you can tell us what plants you might bring and what plants you are looking for but it is not necessary.

Let me know if you need directions and I will email them to you about a week before the swap.

I've been looking at my garden and see as usual I have loads of phlox and fever few and gloriosa daisies if anyone is interested. Also I have a monkshood and one or two primroses I could part with I started seeds inside quite early so have some tomato plants and a few datura, brugs, and annual yellow hibiscus that I may also offer ( depends how many I kill before the swap)

As more things come up in the garden I will list them.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Annie

Comments (97)

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane
    I can give you a few hens and chickens.I think I got them from you originally. Not sure just how to dig them as they are
    on a stone wall so maybe I'll wait till you arrive and you can do the digging

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

HI Annie, be glad to bring a couple of the double deckers they are doing well. The green apples is a double columbine the flower is a limey greenish color.
    someone gave me a grape anemone last year and unfortunately I managed to put it right in the path of those horrible little beasty moles!!!! So its gone, but as of the other day so are two of the moles! If anyone has another grape anemone they can spare I woud love it. Kathie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sinbadsmom
    thanks
    I will dig you up a grapeleaf anemone

• defrost49
    11 years ago

thymetodig, I would love to see your garden. What time do you think you will be "open for visitors"? I also like to make a quick stop at Uncanoonuc Perennials while I'm in the area.
    I'm not doing so good getting things potted up. Still hardening off some seedlings and mourning the loss of some of my perennials.

OTOH the primrose I got at last year's swap is beautiful and doing well. Other things from past swaps are ready for dividing.

Haven't even decided what to bring for our potluck lunch besides my appetite.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

defrost49, anytime after Annie's lunch would be fine. I'm definitely staying for that onion soup! You can drop by any time after Uncanoonuc. I'll be around.

Deb, if no one has claimed the primula yet, I'd love to try it.

Whitegarden, I'd love an iris 'immortality' if you don't mind digging one up.

Blake, besides the color flash astilbe, I'll also have some 'Visions in Red' for you.

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    11 years ago

Hi thyme2dig, you've got it!

• deirdre13
    11 years ago

Hello All!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    I'll be bringing some salvia(azurea, nutans, and forskahoeli(I'm sure that is misspelled), euphorbia corollata,
    and whatever else I manage to dig up before then.
    See you soon,
    Deirdre

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Deirdre,

Last year you brought me some sweet Annie. It didn't make it. If you have any you can spare, I would like to try planting it again.

Hi Thymetodig, Sounds grreat thanks~

• deirdre13
    11 years ago

Blake,
    The Sweet Annie that I gave you was a self sown volunteer from seeds sown long ago. I'll check and see if any came up this year. You should also check around the area you planted yours.
    Deirdre

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Deirde,

Thanks for checking it out. I had cleared a space hoping it would self seed. Unfortunately every weed around town decided to land on that spot and everything is there but the sweet Annie. I will continue to carefully weed it out. I will let you know if I find any.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Singleton,

I will take any ornamenal grasses you are looking to part with. I would like to experiment with them in a few locations.

• Marie Tulin
    11 years ago

My schedule is still undecided so I've been lurking. I've looked everywhere for Matt's Wild tomato seedling. Tiny little tomatoes on a big, wild out of control bush. Any one have one? Even Mahoney's with their bragging rights to goodness knows how many tomatoes doesn't have it.Thanks.
    idabean

• PRO
    11 years ago

Hi Marie,

I emailed you about a possible visit but didn't hear back. Hope you are coming on Sunday!

WG

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Whitegarden,
    I'll pot up some Miscanthus Gracimillus (or could be Graziella...they are similar but the latter blooms sooner)and Varigatus for you. They both grow well and can stand to be divided every year if wanted.

Thyme2dig,
    can I get a Geranium 'Splish Splash' from you? They look wonderful!

So far I can bring:
    Ornamental grasses: Miscanthus Graziella/Gracimillus, Varigatus, and Strictus
    Hosta: June, Frances Williams, etc (not the common ones)
    Sweet Woodruff (only one...new to me)
    Dianthus Siberian Blue
    Snow in Summer (Cerastium tomentosum)
    Creeping thyme

Sorry for posting so late!
    Tara

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Singleon165

I would love a hosta if we can find something that I can trade for it. Are you looking for something in particular?

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Hello Blake,
    I have been meaning to start an herb garden, so whatever you can spare would be appreciated.
    Is there any particular size or color hosta you are looking for?

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Singleton165,

I like the large variegatated type.
    Thats great that you are starting a herb garden. Do you need chives, sage, lemon balm, spearmint, peppermint, catnip? I think I might also have a marorjam and a Germain thyme and I can probably divide some of my winter savory. Let me know which ones you need.

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Hi Singleton,
    I'd love a hosta. Anything except plain green or green/white. I will try to bring herbs that aren't on Blake's list. I potted up some anise hyssop (annual but self sows) last weekend and look for other things.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Thanks singleton165. That sounds great.

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Hi Blake,
    Can I get a sage and/or marjoram...gotta love shopping on GW!

Defrost49 - One non-plain hosta it is!

• dfaustclancy
    11 years ago

Hi Garden Swap Buds,

Here it is Thursday already, the last couple days before Annie's Swap. Annie, I know you have a 5' brugs for me, but what can I bring for you? How about some calendula seedings from Ireland? I got some seeds while at Ashford Castle and they are only about 3 inches tall, but they have a nice pedigree, LOL. Or anything else from my list? Another Japanese primula maybe?
    . Defrost49 - So glad your primula is doing well. What does OTOH mean?

Susan - I can bring you a primula for a splish splash geranium. Or choose from my list below.

Marsha - I'm returning your large pot from last year. Is there something I can put in it for you? :-)

Whitegarden - I'd love an iris immortality. What shall I bring you?

Kathie - I'd like to know how to kill moles/voles. They've moved in! How'd you kill yours? I'd like one of your hollyhocks and black columbine if you have enough. What would you like?

Blake, What is firecracker? I can take a piece of my astilbe peach blossom for you. Does goat's beard get gi-normous?

Lisa - Can I bring you something?

Tara - Welcome to Annie's Swap. You will love it. I'd like some snow in summer if you have it. It brings back memories of my neighbor's garden when I was kid in Pennsylvania. Please choose something from my list and let me know.

Ligularia, Desdemona - with yellow flowers
    Primula Japonica, Miller's Crimson
    Heliopsis, Summer Sun - yellow flowers
    One monkshood - deep blue
    malva, fastigiata - pink
    shasta daisy, Becky
    water lillies - common white ones with yellow centers
    white valerian - fragrant (IMHO)
    Filepandula - Kahone

I have 3/4 primulas potted up and I can do more. Next year (am I getting ahead of myself?) I will have pink ones!
    So let me know what I can bring for you.

Deb

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Deb

Lysimachia ciliata 'Firecracker'

good in a moist border, at a pond margin, or in a wild garden.
    Burgundy foliage and contrasting small yellow flowers. Native perennial.

Grow in fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade.

I don't have it in a mosit area just a terraced garden and it does fine. It not invasive at all. I would love a piece of your peach astilbe. What can I bring for you?

Goat's beard gets big about six feet tall and wide but it is herbaceos. It is very difficult to divide, you need an ax but I dig up the little seedlings that grow around it.

Hello Singelton165

I shall pot you up some sage and marojam

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Hello Debra,
    I'd love a Primula Japonica...can always use more red in the garden!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Hi debra. I'll try some white valerian.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone cross your fingers and pray the weather man is wrong. BRING bug spray, a lawn chair and an umbrella( just in case it should rain).
    Annie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Idabean

Stop lurking and come out into the limelight. Would love to meet you.Hope you decide to come on Sunday rain or shine.
    Annie

• jillyluis
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I'm really looking forward to the the plant swap. I was going to bring a chicken curry pasta salad.

Sorry, I am completely crazy late in responding to the thread.

For plants I can bring,
    Cream foxglove
    Ferns
    Bleeding hearts (all pink, the wild ones)
    Blue mouse ears hosta (I probably only have one)
    Oregano
    Sage (I've never divided it before, but I'll give it a try)
    Happy returns day lilies.
    I'll check my chicks and hens, I bet I have some babies looking for a new home
    Purple palace heuchera.
    Astilbe (I think its pink, but it doesn't love its spot and has never bloomed)
    Bright pink creeping phlox (don't know how well they transplant though)
    Two massive monatuck (sp?) daisy bushes if I can get them into the car

I had a lot of fun reading through the list, and my wish list (and I know it may be too late):
    I love June hostas (I also like other blue hostas or any ones that are particularly tall but not wide, or are really tiny
    Hakonchochlea (I totally can't spell that)
    Hellebores
    Marjoram
    Jacob's ladder
    Forget me knots.
    Jacob's ladder
    Dianthus
    malva, fastigiata sounds fun
    Rose campion (mine that I got last year at Ida's swap didn't come back but I loved it so)
    What I really truly need is a plant (s) to plant around my clematis so the roots don't fry. It's in a sunny spot. My preferred color scheme is pink,purple, blue, magenta.
    Also....anyone have any extra 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon cheapo pots they don't need? We are embarking on a big garden project, so I'll need to store my perennials while its underway.

See you soon!
    Jill and Josie (Josie was -1 month at Idabean's swap last year)

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Jill

I would love some cream fox glove and the astilbe.

I can bring you a nice large mature Rose Campion so that it will produce babies for you next year. I can also bring you marojam.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jill

I'll have a Jacobs Ladder for you
    annie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm hoping that most of this weather will go away by tomorrow!!!!

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Annie,

I have been to your swaps in pouring rain storms, brilliant sunshine and everything in between. The weather doesn't really matter much, I ALWAYS have a GREAT time!!

See you tomorrow rain, shine or wind!

Blake

• sasha_nh
    11 years ago

Jill,

I have a couple things you might like to provide shade for your clematis- mine is behind lavendar and seems to do well-(I have a small one I can bring if you want) or I have tons of low mounding pink and white geranium that may do the trick....let me know if you'd like me to bring either. See you Sunday

Marsha

• jillyluis
    11 years ago

Josie's snoozing, and just as I went to get my shovel, the skies reopened. I'll definitely bring the digitalis, chicks and hens (as long as the rain hasn't washed them away), and astilbe plus whatever else I can squeeze in timewise.
    I'm so looking forward to the Rose Campion, Marjoram, and Jacob's ladder.
    Marsha, I would love the lavender (ours didn't come back this year) and the mounding pink geranium.
    Thanks!
    Jilly

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Oh, and Annie...I'll be bringing pasta salad with spinach (and my BF Andy).

Jill, your chicken curry pasta salad sounds really good! I think I can pot up a H. June for you.

Good thing it's raining today...the perfect weather for dividing plants! :)

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Morning Jilly, I know its quite late but I would love a cream foxglove if you have any extra and some hens and chickens. Its pouring out right now so I don't know if I can get out and dig anything for you thats not already potted up I also don't seem to have anything you have listed! Kathie

• dfaustclancy
    11 years ago

Hi all,

Wow, that rain today is something! Maybe it will be all rained out by tomorrow. Let's hope.

Blake - I've got peach astible for a goat's beard seedling and a piece of firecracker.

Tara - I'll bring you a Primula Japonica.

White Garden - I'll go pot up the white valerian for you.

JillyLuis - I've got a malva fastigiata for you, for one of your clumps of montauk daisies. Is that right?

Annie - I'll bring you a primula and some of those Irish calendula seedlings. That soup will come in handy if it is chilly!

Kathie - what can I bring you?

See yall tommorow. Hope you are all checking this thread.

Debra

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Hey Debra! I can't find what the irish calendula look like, how tall with they get, color? If you have an extra one I would love it. Kathie

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra
    I hope you are going to be able to put the brugs in your car. I picked the smallest one about 5 feet to give you Make sure you put it in a sunny place and give it miracle grow once a week Also remember you have to bring it in for the winter preferably in your basement or cellar. Giving you all this info now as I'm afraid I'll forget tomorrow. ( My memory is really bad lately)
    still raining hard but weather info for tomorrow for Goffstown is cloudy with perhaps thunder storms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed We will have a great time regardless. I'm so looking forward to seeing you all
    Annie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Annie, I think I just saw the same forecast. They're calling for cloudy tomorrow morning and rain after 4pm. We might luck out! I potted up a special plant for you today. I started some Crucianella stylosa from seed (used to be called phuopsis) last year and they are blooming this year. They have the foliage of ground phlox and a flower that looks like amsonia but in pink. Very pretty, and unfortunately very stinky! Sometimes I wonder how something so pretty could smell like a skunk! I never see it available and wanted to share one with you since you always welcome all of us to your house for the swap. I hope you like it!

I was unable to pot anything up this week so I was one of those crazy people out in the pouring rain this morning digging and potting! Oh boy, did I get soaked! But it was a lot of fun thinking about how great the swap will be tomorrow. See you all soon!

Susan

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan I look forward to this plant you are giving me. The other 2( can't remember their names) are doing beautifully and I love them
    You are welcome to look around my garden to see if there is anything you might like.
    wow the rain is pouring down Hopefully this is the clearing off storm. Glad I live on a hill and do not have to worry about flooding. I'm optimistic that the rain will stop by the morning.
    Annie

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Annie,

Thank you for the great swap! I had a wonderful time as usual and would like to thank everyone who traded with me or gifted me a plant. I am looking fowarded to planting everything this week if it ever stops raining. It is still pouring out here on the coast. My angelica is totally bent over from all this rain!

Annie, I think I overdosed on your scones! They were soooo good!! Would you please share the recipe?

It was good to see everyone.

Blake

• jillyluis
    11 years ago

Many thanks to everyone for the wonderful plants! Josie and I had a wonderful time. I really appreciate all of Josie's new friends who hung out with her. We both had such a stupendous time. I figured out where everything will go and hope to even get things in the ground soon!

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Thanks, Annie! GREAT time and so nice to see old friends and make new ones. Happy gardening, everyone!

• Marie Tulin
    11 years ago

Dang, I wish I could have made it. But dh got out of hospital today and there was home preparation and attending to be done. I am sure I'm the only one who was kind of hoping for a reschedule. Then I could have come on the rain date. That was selfish of me and I'm glad the weather gods did not pay attention.

I have enjoyed my garden this week. It was poppy week. The red ones are over 4and a half feet tall. The white (with dark purple splotches inside) is very fragile and blows by in a day or two; The oranges are sturdy and there are still some buds coming along, if they don't rot in the rain. One year I put little bags on the half open buds during a heavy rain....rain bonnets, can you imagine? Nutty gardeners.

Looking forward to next year when I'll join you.
    Marie

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie and everyone for a great swap and potluck lunch. Susan, thank you for the fascinating visit to your garden in the afternoon. I saw shrubs I had never heard of. The Japanese maple over your patio is beautiful.

I made a full day of it. I was too early so I visited Uncanoonuc Perennials which opened at 9am. On the way home I took a detour to Tenny Farm in Antrim which has a nice selection and prices. However, still didn't find any lemon gem marigolds. Tried to grow them from seed but it was too old.

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Idabean,

Good thoughts that your husband is doing well. So sorry you didn't make the swap, it would have been great to see you again. But the best news is that you don't have to wait a whole year for Annie's swap. She is hosting another one the last sunday in September! Hope to see you there!!

• dfaustclancy
    11 years ago

Hi Swappers,

Boy we all had a wonderful time! And no rain either. Thank you to Annie for hosting and great onion soup. And thank you to everyone who swapped with me or plain out gave me stuff. The food table was groaning with fantastic creations. A couple of Marsha and Sheila's friends requested the recipe for Texas Caviar, so I am posting here. Anyone else want to post their recipe? I wouldn't mind the one for the round eclair -- which caused me to go off my South Beach stringent two weeks.... aarggh! My own fault. I simply could not resist it OR a piece of this amazing chocolate cake with walnuts and some kind of liquor in the batter? Was it amoretto? (sp) Thanks again everyone. I missed seeing Beryl's smiling face...

Texas Caviar

1-1/2 ears of corn - cooked
    1 med red pepper chopped
    1 can of black beans
    1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
    2 t. ground cumin
    4 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic minced
    1/2 c cider vinegar

Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight for flavors to meld. Serve with Tostito Scoops.

• PRO
    11 years ago

David and I had a wonderful time. My mini was packed to the roof on the way home. David was done planting his treasure by 4:00 I think, but my plants are lined up on the veggie garden path and will be there until the weather clears.

So good seeing all of you and thank you to everyone who swapped with me. Already looking forward to September!

WG

• singleton165
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie, for a wonderful time! We had so much fun at our first swap, I loved touring your gardens! The onion soup was to die for, as everyone said it would be!
    Thanks to everyone else for the plants and for the warm welcome. Next time I'll know to show up on time! LOL
    Tara

• sasha_nh
    11 years ago

Annie.

Thanks again for a wonderful day. Gonna try planting my new treasures today (next time I've got to remember to mark what I take home with me...my mind is going)

Have a great summer.
    Marsha