Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Peonies--where to buy near Boston?

ginny12
16 years ago

Does anyone know of a nursery with a *really good selection* of peonies that is within one hour of Boston? Or maybe longer if the nursery is north of Boston, where I live? Many nurseries have some peonies but I am looking for a large selection and have never found one in my rambling. I have mail-order sources but I want containerized peonies to plant now. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    16 years ago

Russell's in Wayland and Weston Nurseries in Hopkinton both have really good selections. Russell's is probably closer to you.

• chelone
    16 years ago

If you're up for a bit of a ride try out Rolling Green Nursery on Breakfast Hill Rd. in Stratham, NH. It's a very nice nursery and they had beautiful peonies, many in very large tubs that have been "grown on" for a few years when I was there last Wednesday. They have tree peonies, too.

I was "on a mission" for a Clematis, so passed the peonies by, but they were eyecatching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolling Green Nursery

• chelone
    16 years ago

I just realized it's in Greenland... duh... I get those towns "over there" confused, all the time.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the good suggestions. Will check them out. I bought peonies at Weston a million years ago when they were field-dug by Olga herself. Still have some of them.

Wish we had a place like Klehm's around here. Funny no one specializes in peonies, which like our climate so much and are easy to grow if you have sun. (Of which I only have a little.) And are so very beautiful.

• sedum37
    16 years ago

I don't know if this qualifies as near to Boston but I just read on another forum about Blanchette Gardens in Carlisle, MA having a great selection of peonies. I have shopped there for years but for shade loving plants so this surprised me but sure enough checking their web site they offer quite a number of peonies. See the link below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanchette Gardens - Peonies selection

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a great suggestion, Sue. I used to go there more frequently but haven't been for awhile. I wonder if they have pictures of the peonies so you can pick the color you want. I'm sorry to say I am very fussy about color. But I hope to get there within the week. Thanks again for the tip.

• judyefd
    16 years ago

Blanchettes is a great suggestion! Ginny, you may have to look up the peony cultivars in advance on the internet (Google images) to get a sense of the color. They may have a photo album there.

I was going to suggest a long field trip to Standing Stone Perennial Farm in So. Royalton, VT (near exit 3 off 89 N)... just cuz it's beautiful and they have an assortment of peonies in pots - including my most favorite 'Vivid Rose.'

I'd love to know what you do select from Blanchettes (or whomever).

Judye

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if there are specific herbaceous peonies that bloom unusually late? I've got 5 or 6 varieties, but they essentially bloom at the same time, or nearly so. I'd love to be able to extend the season, it's always a sad day when the last one goes by. There's nothing *quite* like them later in the season, especially for those of us who don't do well with roses.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Digging...I know of two sources for bloom time for peonies. One is the website www.songsparrow.com. This is the nursery of the Klehm family who have been selling peonies for many, many years. The website and catalog describe (with photos) many peonies and class them as early, mid, and late.

There is also an excellent book, Peonies, by Allan Rogers. 1st pub in 1995 but still available from Amazon or used book sites or the library. It has a chapter on recommended peonies and also lists them according to bloom time, early, mid, late. He has 143 color photos in the edition I have but I think it was updated at some point.

I wish I could have an acre of peonies, I love them so much. But my shady garden has only a few spots with enough sun for peonies so that's why I'm being so choosy.

Last week, I was in Annapolis and saw a garden with about 15 tree peonies in full bloom. All different colors. A sight to behold. Had to be dragged away.

• judyefd
    16 years ago

DtD, et.al.

Here's a link that might be helpful.

I too feel sad when my peonies have gone by.
    Judye

Here is a link that might be useful: peony bloom sequence

• sedum37
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the resources Ginny! There is a border of peonies that I pass by on my way to work and it is a site to behold for the 2 weeks it is in bloom. I love looking for it each year...and yes so sad when it goes by.

For pictures of the peonies Blanchettes offers, check their Gallery section on their web site. There are about 15 pictures in there to see. I think ones they sell.

Sue

See this link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanchette's Photo Gallery

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks, the peony bloom sequence chart indicates that we could have at least 40 days of peonies - and that's not even counting the tree peonies, which are generally earlier. I don't suppose all the types are equally beautiful, which I guess explains why some are rarely seen in gardens.

• deenoel
    16 years ago

I just got an email from Weston Nurseries this morning noting their peonies are 10% through May 23rd. Might be an added incentive to make the drive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weston Nurseries Weekly special

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Wow, deenoel, you are very brave to get their email specials. I'd be in hock up to my eyeballs if I got anything like that in the mail. Luckily, Weston is too far for me - it looks liek a fabulous nursery.

• deenoel
    16 years ago

I should correct my post: this week peonies are 10% OFF. Imagine if they were 10% of their regular price. We'd all be on our way there!

DTD, I try to exercise restraint and use those emails for inspiration only. But I'm only marginally successful. At the moment I'm 8 months pregnant and so my husband, after digging holes for me last weekend, gently suggested that I ought not bring home any more plants since I can no longer put them in myself!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    16 years ago

Hollingsworth Peonies gives bloom season and also tells whether the plant produces side buds to extend the season. I only just heard about them and haven't ordered from them (yet!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollingsworth Peonies