Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Amazing value of what I throw away!

bill_ri_z6b
13 years ago

This year I've had time to visit a lot of new (to me) nurseries and have found some great places and plants. But I am amazed at how expensive some things are, especially when I see pots of what I regularly toss into the yard waste recycle bin! Oak leaf hydrangeas, 2 quart size, $25; Yucca recurvifolia, 1 gal, $40; lily of the valley, 1 qt, $15; Cerastium (Snow-in-summer), 1 qt., $10, and some others. Maybe a plant sale or swap isn't such a bad idea! But it always seems that nobody is interested in what I have. Is there a "wanted" forum here?

Comments (8)

• cat_delgado
    13 years ago

I'm not aware of any wanted forum other than the exchange pages, but if you are located in the northeast states there is a new garden website for people that want to give away or trade their plants, I've use it alot lately and have gotten (and given) away alot of plants, check it out and maybe you can get some free housekeeping in your gardens, it's free so it can't hurt to try www.greenthumbtrader.com

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Bill, you could also try posting things on freecycle or craigslist. I'm sure you would find some takers.

:)
    Dee

• sedum37
    13 years ago

Sometimes I also put plants down the end of my driveway with 'free' sign. At least I feel better someone has taken the plants and they are not just composted. I've done this with common plants like: iris, daylily stella d'oro, amaryllis that don't bloom anymore (in my house they go once they stop blooming), extra annuals, tomato plants I've started. I found this easier than trying to bring them into work or find homes for them directly. In many cases my 'extra' plants aren't known before the swaps or garden club plant sales so it hard to donate to them. Although last year I was able to donate some extra dahlias from Old House gardens and I hope to do that again this year.

Problem it seems many of the people involved in the swaps are more experienced and don't want the 'common' stuff.

• lisahloo
    13 years ago

Can we start a thread for it?? I for one would love 'free' plants -- I'd have taken your oakleaf hydrangeas! Of course it all depends on where we all are, and the size of the plant (might cost a fortune to mail an oakleaf hydrangea, but there are plenty of smaller plants that would cost a fraction of their cost at the store to mail...), but it could be a great way to try to find good homes.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I love to give away plants that need homes, but most of the time convenience is a factor. I'd rather give it to my neighbor than to have to mail it anywhere. [g]

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

The Woods Hole Library is holding its plant sale this Saturday. They're always looking for plants, including the common ones that transplant well. The sale features some donated flats of annuals from local nurseries but also divisions of some uncommon plants from local gardeners. I usually have flats ready to go but a family situation has prevented me from doing much of anything in the garden so far this year.

Bill, there's probably a similar event near you, and if you look at fliers on community bulletin boards or a local paper you're sure to find it.

Or, you could always pot up your extras and come down to Woods Hole early early on Saturday morning. They always welcome people with experience to help the new gardeners make selections. I usually bring my small 'Taylors Guides' so I can show people what the plants look like in flower.

The down side is that no matter what you've donated, you still have to pay for whatever you want to pick up - at least I think that's how it's supposed to work. Come to think of it, I never asked for a freebie.

I've gotten some great stuff at this sale, but I'm not making any promises about what it will be like this year!

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

Bill I'd come to RI to pick up your "common stuff" for the Childrens Hospital Plant sale.
    Or any one that wanted to help. really.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think my original post may have been misunderstood a bit. I was commenting on how amazed I was that what I have thrown into the waste when cleaning the garden can be found for sale at fairly high prices. I do throw out the things I mentioned usually when doing spring cleanup, and this has been done this year. So, unfortunately, I don't have any of these plants now. I will, however, keep everyone's suggestions in mind for next season!