Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green caterpillars

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 10:56

I'm seeing lots of green caterpillars these days. About an inch long and maybe 1/8 inch diameter. Lite green with a whitish stripe on its back and tiny white dots. Definitely has "feet". None of my butterfly books show caterpillars. And a google search isn't turning up anything useful.

Anybody have any idea what they are? Not sure if I should be thrilled to have them. Or if I should be smushing them. I took a photo but need to get the photos uploaded to my computer first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green caterpillars

Sounds like an inchworm, which coincidentally I had just brushed off my slacks! Grows into a geometer moth -- look it up.

Carol

o

The ones I'm seeing are not inch worms. Inch worms only have front and back feet. The ones I'm seeing have feet the whole length of their body. Plus inch worms make that upside down U shape when they walk. Which these ones are not doing. Plus these ones are fatter than inch worms.

o

is this the caaterpillar you have? (VERY LAST PHOTO ON PAGE)
http://www.austinbug.com/noctuidae5.html

H10012x Psaphida sp. larva

We have more than one species of Psaphida in the area, so I don't know the exact identity of this caterpillar, but the genus characteristics are evident: translucent green, with pale white lines and dots that match this image.

Here is a link that might be useful: bug collection

o

What plants are you seeing these caterpillars on?

o

Roxanna - that looks like the caterpillar

Nhbabs - I'm seeing them on my deck and patio of all places. Haven't seem them on a plant - not even on my seedlings or any of my containers.

They almost look like a winter moth caterpillar - but like 10x bigger.

o

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, (not sure if what I see has a white stripe) but at this time of year I always see little green worms, usually hanging down from... trees, I guess. The worst part is that you ususually see them three inches in front of your nose just before you walk into them! Funny, I've never bothered to look into what they were, but I've seem them ever since I was a kid.

Dee

o

finally - a picture of my little guy. On a washcloth, sitting on my kitchen counter.

Photobucket

o

I've got cats like that on my heuchera, merrily chewing away. I dispatch them on sight.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 16:45

I saw something like that on a small wild cherry tree yesterday. When I bent over to look closely it dropped off and disappeared. At first I thought it had dropped into my shirt pocket or my shoe (loose Crocs), but after some intense searching I decided it had hidden itself in the vegetation. I didn't really want to find a caterpillar crawling out of my pocket later that day.

Claire

o

I find them every year eating my azalea, I was using Bayer 3 in 1 but this year I can't find it at lowes so I pick them off my hand and drop them in a can of vinger water

o

I saw a Bayer 2-in-1 at Lowes recently, now I'm wondering what happened to the 3-in-1!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here