Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find arctotis...am losing my mind!

Posted by sorriso (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 11:05

Several years ago I purchased some deep orange color arctotis from a local nursery (Bangor, Maine area). The following years I was able to get my fix in either the orange or red. Last year I had to purchase on eBay because no one had them locally. This year still no one has them locally and even the eBay guy isn't selling.

I have done countless internet searches and found a nursery in New Hampshire that has them but they don't ship. The very nice contact person there couldn't believe that I can't find the plant locally.

For those of you who've never had it, it's fabulous! Bright flowers all summer long and everyone who visits my home comments on it.

Does anyone have any leads for me to follow?

Thank you,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find arctotis...am losing my mind!

Linda, I had to look up arctotis as I had never heard of it before. It looks a lot like gazania and African Daisy. I think if you look for those items, you will have a better chance of finding what you are looking for, as more people have heard of those....

Good luck.

o

That's a pretty big group of plants.. is there a specific one you are looking for? I am growing the blue one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of pics of the Arctotis family

o

I grow the blue ones from seed each year, but don't think I have seen arctotis of any type at any nurseries this year.

o

Thank you for your thoughts Debra. As you and ontheteam point out, it is a BIG group of plants. Specifically I'm looking for either Killerton Red or Pumpkin Pie.

I went to my favorite nursery today, where I got the plant for the first time. He said that his suppliers didn't have it this year. In my internet research I've clicked on a couple of larger nurseries which appear to have it but when you click further, they don't. Asarum, where are you located?

o

Funny you should mention the orange, I saw it today at Howlands' in Fairhaven, MA...it was orange with a purple center, and really, really pretty with purple petunias.

o

Still losing my mind :)

In the interim my husband found them once at a local greenhouse (2011) but the next year they didn't have them again and they looked at me like I was very odd when I asked.

My research tells me I can't grow them from seed. Last year I found a greenhouse that shipped but they were all out and unfortunately I didn't write down the name. I'm trying to get in early on ordering but can't find anyplace so I turn back to you.

Any thoughts?

o

Bluebird Nursery has "Killerton Red"

http://www.bluebirdnursery.com/productlist.asp?id=temperennials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here