All together

From May 21 2010

Cornus Controversa

From May 21 2010

Comments (6)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Beautiful lupines!

Mine won't bloom for a while still, but the foliage is thriving. I have only two plants, but the same gorgeous color scheme as yours (red and purple.)

Does lupine spread or do I need to buy more plants?

I like your interesting broken patio blocks beside the pink flowers. Are they repurposed from some previous incarnation or did you create them?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

How exciting Lisa, is this your first year with some of these plants? Love that Cornus Controversa! And your variegated Weigela looks different then I expected. I've been mulling over the idea of adding one if it were variegated and stayed fairly small. I didn't think the growth would fan out like that, I thought they were more shrubby and rounded, I guess. But I like it! Which variety is that and how long has it been planted? I was looking for 'French Lace' but haven't found it yet.

Such a pretty spring garden!

• kpaquette
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! Lupines are yet another flower I love but don't have room for at the moment. ;-) And your baptisia is so much bigger than my baby...I can't wait!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Love those lupines! And the Cornus controversa (didn't you plant it last year?) is growing beautifully.

Everything is well grown, nice job.

Claire

• lschibley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

spedigrees - This is only the second year I have had Lupine. I planted 6 babies last year and 5 came back, but I am not sure if they are the originals or seedlings. For their size coming out of the ground, I'd guess this was their second year. I'll have to wait until next year to tell if I will get seedlings or need to plant babies again. The broken pieces actually came from a small table top that cracked. I thought they were so pretty that they could be stepping stones in the garden. Glad you think they are pretty too!

pm2 - I think this is the classic Weigela florida ÂVariegata that gets to 5' but there is a dwarf form, 'Nana'. The droopiness happened after our last big rain. It didn't happen last year or the year before, so I don't know the difference. Maybe it droops once the branches hit a certain length. If so, I'll look into chopping it back. It's definitely a bit awkward looking. But I love the flowers.

kpaquette - The baptisia is 3 years old, so you won't have to wait long.

Claire - Yes the cornus came from Katsura last spring. I'm so glad it is happy.

Lisa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Lisa, I like the look of the branching and the flowers are quite abudant! I want a Weigela all the more now, but that 5ft height won't work for me. I will look for the dwarf. Thanks.

I love that Cornus. I haven't been to Katsura, another new place to try. Does the Cornus Controverta bloom?

You are doing a great job with your garden! Isn't it fun to see it change from year to year?