Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Is this a weed?

pixie_lou
11 years ago

This plant is popping up every where. I've been pulling the strays out of my lawn. But I also have tons of these in my gardens, and the edge of my pond is just full of them. Can anyone help me identify? I'm trying to decide whether I let them grow or pull them.

Not sure if you can tell in the photos, but the stems are fuzzy. They don't match the stems of my shasta daisy or brown eyed susans. I've nursed golden rod in the past - only to find out it is golden rod - but this doesn't match the leaves. I've also had a fleabane "problem" - but these also don't look like fleabane foliage.

Comments (14)

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

It is to me, pixie, and last Saturday I pulled out an easy 200 lbs. of them. Whatever they are, they are more prolific this year.

Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

It reminds me a bit of some kind of fleabane that is a weed in my garden, though I am not positive from the photo if it is the same. It has a lot of small light pink to white, yellow-centered flowers that if left to go to seed at all are extremely prolific.

• girlcat36
    11 years ago

Mare's tail, perhaps?

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Ugh, this darn thing. I always think its a weed - "isn't that that weed from last year?" - and go to yank it and then think, wait a minute, maybe it's not. It looks like...."something". And so I leave it, and then it turns out to be a weed.

Thank you for posting this, because I had already started the vicious cycle this spring, lol. Tomorrow, I yank!

Dee

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - if it ever stops raining, I will start pulling these things. Jane - I think I'll have about 400 lbs of them!

On some other forum I visit, someone made a comment that Hurricane Irene last August really blew the seed heads around, and that is why we are finding so many volunteer seedlings in odd places this year. In my case, Irene seemed to have only blown around the weed seed heads!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Yes, I always pull those, but don't know what they are?? They look a little like Solidago canadensis (canada goldenrod), which I let grow in places out back, but I don't think they are. Does anybody here know?

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'll leave a couple small clumps of it to see what it turns into.

terrene - I have goldenrod, which I do let grow in certain places, and these leaves are different.

I don't mind "weeds" so much if they are pretty and flowering.

• corunum z6 CT
    11 years ago

The plants that I have been removing look exactly like pixie's pictures and I agree with nhbabs, looks like fleabane. This same plant, when allowed to grow everywhere, produces a daisy shaped flower in late July to August and it is THAT blossom that successfully confuses me every year. Evey year I think, 'Well, it's nice to have blooms when it's hotter than ...., maybe I'll leave it.' Mistake. It's native and it's strong. Obversely, where I want a cheap filler, I leave it; hence,the ongoing self-seeding. In almost 40 years of my stewardship here, I have not won the battle against the omnipresent botanical terminator, The New England Aster. Instead, I 'let' them grow in the front border of an attempted island woodland setting with a backdrop of persicaria polymorpha, and each August I admire a zillion native asters embracing the six foot tall persicaria.

Despite not like any name with 'flea' in it, I rip these guys out only where they interrupt my gardening intentions; otherwise, there's nothing like a sore, aging back and an over wrought garden budget to change my attitude about the words 'weed' and 'native'.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: CT Botanical Society

• chardie
    11 years ago

Yeah, they're everywhere in my gardens. It's weird how certain types of weeds are more prevalent in a given year. I also have a lot of what I think is called chickweed this year.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

I too have a bumper crop of these this year but don't know what they are. I yank them whenever I see them.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Well geez lots of people have 'em here in New England, but nobody knows what they are! You could post that pic over on Name that Plant forum and probably have the answer in less than an hour. :)

• jenniferg76
    11 years ago

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I think this is Erechtites hieraciifolia, aka pilewort/fireweed/American burnweed. I pulled a ton out of my yard and gravel driveway last week and wanted to know what it was, and I finally stumbled across it.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I have Erechtites hieraciifolia, but didn't know what it was, so I appreciate your posting. However, the plant Pixie Lou posted isn't the same as PL's plant has fuzzy stems and leaves whereas Erechtites hieraciifolia has smooth leaves.

I think that Pixie Lou's plant is Erigeron strigosus, Daisy Fleabane.