Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomamy

Plant sale extravaganza!

heirloomamy
17 years ago

Many of you here may have discovered this wonderful place long ago, but I was just introduced to it by my friend this weekend--Meadow View Farm, in Southwick, MA (Route 10).

Apparently they're only open in May and June, not too sure, but definitely worth the trip--which is what Sarah said as she convinced me to leave my house at 7:15 on Sunday to meet up with her for the trip (driving from Danbury to Mass on Mother's Day morning did not seem such a good idea--until we arrived!!). It was a rainy, freezing day, which was great--not too many shoppers! They have rows and rows of annuals, veggies (organic and non), perennials, shrubs, hanging plants (for $13.99!!!). I'm a huge fan of Bluestone Perennials, and just got my order (16 plants for $65, which I thought was good!) but get this--65 (SIXTY FIVE!!!) plants for $120 at Meadow View!!! Get thee there before it's too late!! Happy Gardening!

Comments (13)

• arbo_retum
    17 years ago

wow, i mapquested southwick and found that it's southwest of
    SPRINGFIELD!!! sounds like a great spot for western mass and ct. GW peo.

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

There is no phone number for them. Do you know how to get there? Do I just head into Southwick on Route 10? Also, do you suppose they are open on weekdays?

Patty

• heirloomamy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty--I'm checking with my friend to see if she knows if they're open on weekdays (I'm thinking she said she went last year on a weekday--when it was 95 degrees and it was so crowded they had a policeman directing traffic!!--but I'm confirming with her). As for directions, we headed north on Rte 10 (we started in Burlington, but my friend drove so I'm not sure where we met up with Rte 10) and it was on the right hand side. I'm not sure where you're coming from, but it took us 40 minutes from Burlington....I think you'll be safe just heading up Rte 10 from CT into Mass...

• heirloomamy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty--yes, it seems Meadow View is open on weekdays (my friend thinks until about 6pm). Happy hunting! A

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Yay! Thanks Amy.
    Patty (wondering if I have time for a trip up there today or if I should put in the plants I already have or plant seeds or what....the sun has confused me!)

• svgarden
    17 years ago

Hi all, Sorry Amy had to relay all the info, I cannot get onto this forum from work (which is where I do most of my internet stuff). Meadowview is just over the line in MA on route 10 in Southwick. It is on the right hand side when headed north on route 10. They are open everyday from 9-6 until mid June. It is exceptionally crowded, but well worth it. The lines can be reallyyyyyyy long, but they are experts at moving it along quickly with a lot of help. The owner told a friend that the best time to go is at 8:30 or 9 on a Sunday. By 10 it gets crowded (unless there are torrential downpours like the day Amy and I went...) You won't be sorry if you need annuals or perennials!

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Went to Meadow View today. There was quite a chill in the air yet the place was still quite full of gardeners. The check out line was long but moved very quickly...I was only in line for maybe 5 minutes.

FYI,
    They only take cash or check.
    It is located just over the border from Granby Connecticut on Route 10 in Southwick, MA.
    They had an enormous selection of roses, annuals and perennials, and veggies. Didn't see any shrubs though.
    They had some hard to find items (rose campion, for example, which can be hard to find) and a huge daylily section with unusual varieties. Also lots of unusual alpine plants.

I just was in the mood for a drive (took me about 35 minutes from my house in CT) and didn't have any plants in mind so I mostly got fillers for my beds and some plants for my go-crazy-and-spread garden on a sunny bank. I got 11 plants for 31 dollars. Can't beat it. I will definitely go back with more specific ideas.

Thanks for the tip!
    Patty

• heirloomamy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patty--So glad you found Meadow View worthwhile! And so sorry, both Sarah and I forgot to mention the cash/check issue; sorry!! Great description of plant selection--I can't remember seeing shrubs either, but I was in total glorious shock, and it was raining buckets, so I thought I might have missed some areas (not that there was ANY more room in the car! It's a good thing we didn't bring Sarah's little Julia--we needed the car seat for plants!). Glad you enjoyed. A

• dragynmyrlin
    16 years ago

Going up today June 10th because they start discounting before they close. Already been once. Spent 110 but brought home about 30 plants. Fabulous tomatoes. Gone the last few years. Best place to buy clematis. Very hardy. Only ones that have survived in my yard. They do have lots of roses and hostas but no real shrubs. Remodeled for this year. Have woodland and shade areas, plus twice as many plants. Prices went up a little but quality is worth it. I usually go about 8:30 on a Sunday. By the time we leave, it's packed. Hoping they are still open.

• flamingo1121
    16 years ago

dragynmyrlin, I am a definate convert. Went there for the first time in early May (twice that weekend didn't know it was cash or check..oops) and then again the Friday before Memorial Weekend. So did they start discounting and when are they closing.

My husband will probably kill me but there is always room for more!!

Heidi

• weedsmakemecrazy
    16 years ago

I just heard about this place - but I am curious - are they open all summer or are they already finished? I have this week off, but am busy until about Tuesday or Wednesday - will they be open. It sounds like only about a 45 minute drive, but I don't want to get there to find the doors closed :)
    if anyone knows if they are still open, can you let me know? I have so much gardening I want to do with my week off!!!
    thanks!
    Kathy

• wysecj
    14 years ago

I was there the other day, hoping the sales had started. The only thing on sale were geraniums (3 for 1?). Pretty much everything goes on sale before they close. I asked while I was there - they close on June 28 this year. The attendant didn't know when the sales started. I think they are mainly during the last week. If anyone knows when they start or goes there and the sales are going on, please let us know.

• sthesser_gmail_com
    12 years ago

just called - 413-569-0814 is their number.

They have started the sale, and the message machine says what is on sale.

They will be open until July 1. My wife and I will make our second trip of the year there tomorrow...looking for bargains and more things to create even more gardens with.

I've heard the last few days there will have crazy-low sale prices, since their goal is to sell everything out.

Maybe we'll be back next week again! haha