Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of maple tree has dark red leaves all year?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 12:00

My dad calls this a red maple, kind of gray/silvery bark, dark red/burgundy leaves all year round. I know red maples just turn red in the fall, so I thought it was a Norway maple but apparently that's not it either Very common ornamental tree around here (not Japanese maple). Any ideas? Sorry, my sapling is just getting leaves, I'll have to go take a pic of a mature tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of maple tree has dark red leaves all year?

Sorry, just found Crimson King. That looks like it. My dad will be angry, but should re pull this sapling he gave us last year out? It's planted fairly close to forestland in our back yard.

o

It's a Norway maple. Crimson King is one of many red-leaved cultivars of this species.

o

Yes, I found it after looking for red Norway maples. Should we dig it up and burn it? I read it's invasive in New England.

o

We had two lovely old Norway maples at our old hous*e. My only problem with them was that their leaves did not turn red and yellow in the autumn like a sugar maple. The leaves stayed a summer green until they turned brown and fell off after the frost. (Obviously my tr*ees weren't the red variety.)

I can't imagine that Norway maples are any more invasive than any other maple. If the tr*ee is on a mowed law*n, it can hardly propogate. If you like this tr*ee I would not dig it up.

o

Norway maples are very invasive. The seeds "helicopter" away from the parent tree so seedlings can spring up far and wide--your lawn is not the concern. The woods in your area would be a concern. Moreover, they are very shallow rooted trees and aggressive growers. So you can't grow anything underneath one of these beasts. I would dig it up. But then again, I hate Norway maples.

o

I agree with rockman. ALso the "red" leaves become more like brown/bronze and can be overpowering and dark and gloomy

o

Norway maples are a giant weed. They produced uncounted seedlings and can take over a large area if not constantly pulled. The roots are shallow, the shade is deep, and nothing will grow under them. They are the Norway rats of trees.

o

Ditto above. I am quite familiar with these trees and had 4 large Norways removed from my lot, with 1 huge one remaining, which is the biggest. :( They are extremely weedy, and have started to invade the small woodland areas in the neighborhood. I cut, poison, and girdle these suckers at every opportunity and am still debating removing the last big one which is indeed a beast ($$$).

Acer platanoides 'Crimson King' is a very common cultivar and may be less aggressive than the species. However, since it is a Norway, I would trash that sucker and plant a much nicer native tree instead (I hate Norways too).

o

Count me in a 'NM Haters Club', too.

o

My neighbor has a Crimson King that I admire every day on my walk to the post office. I agree that it could be kind of gloomy if it were not an isolated specimen in full sun. I did not realize it was an invasive species. Too bad - it can be quite majestic. I will be pulling seedlings from my beds with new fervor. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here