Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - May 2013

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 12:36

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for May 2013. All garden photos are welcome. As we begin to welcome spring, I’m happily anticipating the variety of gardenscapes that could possibly be posted in this thread. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the May 2012 thread

For previous 2013 threads:

April 2013 part 1

April 2013 Part 2

March 2013

February 2013

January 2013

To see all of the 2012 threads, please click on the December 2012 link. The first post will have links to all previous months.

I am (still) in process of moving all the 2011 threads over to the
photo gallery
. I need to look up who I’m supposed to e-mail. Plus I have to make the list.

This post was edited by pixie_lou on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 7:11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show us your gardens - a photo thread - May 2013

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 12:40

The epimediums snuck up on me! I hadn't been looking in that direction but I was checking the hostas sprouting and saw these. They're planted by the road under a big white pine in a mostly hosta and geranium macrorrhyzum bed. There are some scillas beginning to fade back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

E. Sulphureum and Warlayense

E. Warlayense

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, May 4, 13 at 8:53

o

Nice Epimediums, Claire. I bought my first two from Avant Gardens this Spring. Now I have to find a spot to plant them.

The Hosta are just emerging nicely here in Zone 5b and looked good this morning. I hope you'll forgive my indulgence in these photos.

montana Aureomarginata
montana AM photo DSC01963_zps841fa047.jpg

Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen photo DSC01947_zps4f7664e6.jpg

St. Elmo's Fire
St Elmo's Fire photo DSC01949_zps3c553c5f.jpg

Stingray, just a plain green one.
Stingray photo DSC01958_zpsd1632ca3.jpg

Cracker Crumbs, this one is a mini
Cracker Crumbs photo DSC01964_zps5a814003.jpg

OK, now some actually blooming plants.

Malus 'Candy Cane'
Malus Candy Cane photo DSC01944_zps4d2d1267.jpg

Peach Blossom
Peach Blossom photo DSC01950_zps280161e8.jpg

N. Thalia with T. Pink Impressions
Thalia and Pink Impressions photo DSC01945_zps7d95d256.jpg

Still in tight bud with only a few florets open, Lilac Albert F. Holden.
S. Albert F Holden photo DSC01965_zps1cb76abc.jpg

May is for Lilacs.

Steve

o

It looks like blooming is really starting to pick up in the more southerly parts of New England. I also ordered my first epimediums this year. Nice to know that they will help fill in the early blooming schedule. Lovely to see the bright hosta foliage.

I took photos at the shop gardens yesterday. There are bulbs, mostly daffodils since the voles that are so voracious in these beds won't eat them, but I was pleased to see that some white Kaufmanniana tulips had returned, even though I wasn't yet planting in baskets two years ago.

The spicebushes have been blooming for a couple of weeks. They lend a subtle chartreuse glow and a light spicy scent to the early spring garden. This photo really doesn't capture their charm!

From Shop May 2, 2013

The saucer magnolia is in full bloom. This isn't what I thought I was buying when I got it (was labeled a star magnolia) but I enjoy how it stands out against the hemlocks.

From Shop May 2, 2013

The PJM rhododendrons are just showing color.

From Shop May 2, 2013

I planted some hellebore seedlings last spring, and was surprised to see how well they are blooming. I planted some several years ago, and they didn't seem to thrive, but these are in more sun.

From Shop May 2, 2013

The redbud is pinking up and should start blooming in the next week or so. I fell in love with these when I lived in southern OH and searched for a couple years for a source that carried plants from northern stock.

From Shop May 2, 2013

I like the color echo between this primula and the Checkmate rhododendron behind it. Normally I am not overly fond of screaming magenta, but I certainly have quite a bit of it during the month of May.

From Shop May 2, 2013

o

Claire, I'm amazed every year as to how epimediums will look like dead little sticks and then in the blink of an eye they are flowering and looking beautiful!! Truly a favorite in spring.

o

May is finally here and it is one of my favorite months. Love all your photos. Claire, you have quite a patch of epimedium flowering there. How long has it been planted there and how much sun is it getting? I have those two varieties but they they were just planted last year, so they are very small this year. I can't wait for them to fill in as much as yours.

Steve, are you sure you are in zone 5b? Your hostas are already unfurling and I'm in 6a and I haven't got one leaf unfurled yet. Unless maybe yours are in full sun? They are gorgeous at any rate! Is your photo labeled 'Peach Blossom' an actual fruiting peach tree?

Babs, I love your saucer magnolia. I am on the fence about adding a magnolia. It's hard for me to commit to such a large addition to the garden, that only blooms for a couple of weeks. My space is so small. Spicebushes attract certain butterflies, don't they?

o

Sat, May 4, 13 at 9:20

So nice to see all of the New England gardens waking up (magnolias! hostas! and more!).

PM2: I think it's been about 5 years since I planted my first epimediums. Sulphureum is the most vigorous, followed by Warlayense, and these are the first to bloom. Rubrum will be next along with some assorted fancy ones I planted later that haven't really thrived, although this may be the year (ever hopeful). The bed gets dappled sun in the morning and then again in the afternoon. The epimediums get watered when I start worrying about the hostas and ferns next to them, but I've never seen them look wilted.

Claire

o

PM2 - In addition to the spring flowers on my magnolia, I really like the winter look as well: smooth grey bark and those fat, fuzzy, silvery buds. It is pretty boring in the summer, though. I have planted a couple of clematis to grow up into it and hopefully make it more interesting, but they aren't big enough yet to add much.

o

PM2,
Unfortunately, I am sure about the zone. All around me is 6A, but my little corner of Central Mass is 5b. Still our temps here away from the sea breeze have been warmer than those nearer the coast for the past week or so. That may be why my Hostas are further along. I do have a number in sun as well. With enough water Hostas can take a lot of sun. I'm hoping for some rain this week.

Yes the Peach Blossoms are from a Peach Tree. Don't know the variety, but it self seeds like crazy. We haven't got any fruit from it. The wildlife seem to like them, but I can't figure out when they are ripe.

Spice bushes are the host plant for swallowtail types of butterflies including the Spicebush Swallowtail. It's a plain green bush, but has red fruit that the birds like and has good fall color. A friend I know grows hers just because it is a butterfly host plant. Here's the caterpillar of a Spicebush Swallowtail on that plant.
Spicebush Caterpillar photo DSC01619_zpsf58b660f.jpg

Steve

o

Claire, my oldest epimediums are the Rubrum variety and I’m hoping to divide those after bloom this year, they are a pretty good size.

Babs, that’s a great idea with clematis growing up into the Magnolia.

Steve, all of my hostas are in shade, so maybe that’s the difference. That’s too bad about no fruit from that Peach tree, but the flowers are SO pretty! Thanks for the photo and name of that butterfly that the Spicebush is a host for.

o

I love when the hostas first come up and they are in that tight, vase-type of formation. So cool.. I'm actually a bit disappointed when the leaves start unfurling, but I get over it fast, lol.

Had my first iris bloom yesterday. A dwarf purple, purchased as Royal Knight (I think) but which was mislabled (I think, again). Every year I see these gorgeous purple blooms over HERE, and my one little surviving patch of pink creeping phlox over THERE, and remember that I had meant to move them together... Definitely this year, lol! Although I am afraid to move the phlox - I've finally given up on this plant and kind of want to leave the survivors where they are, or I will probably kill them off for good.

I'm in between blooms I guess. Just the irises, and the last of the daffs, some small patches of creeping phlox (a bit of blue in addition to the pink), and some grape hyacinths. Oh, also the hellebores hanging on and a few primroses. Violets scattered throughout. Hmm, maybe I have more in bloom than I thought.

Banner year for dandelions, though!

Dee

o

Thanks to both PM2 and Steve for the info on the spicebushswallowtail. I found an interesting page about it that says it uses mimicry to survive, at different stages mimicking bird droppings, a green snake, leaves, and another butterfly that is poisonous. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: spicebush swallowtail

o

I think we are in between blooms down here on the south coast. The forsythia and daffodils have been out for what seems like forever--I mean they started blooming about 1 month ago here! Actually---daffodils started blooming in late March. I think the unusual persistence of coolish ocean winds this spring has really extended the bloom time down here. That being said, the cherry trees are now done, except for the kwanzan cherries which are just starting here. The magnolias are done. The dogwoods are showing some color. PJM rhodies are still colorful but blooms are past peak.

I did some **HARD** pruning (gulp) to my southern plants back in March. I had to hack my huge 8 ft tall cherry laurel down to 3 feet because it was uprooted in the Feb blizzard--so I had to partially replant it. I then decided to hack my southern magnolia way back because it had grown too large for the space---so I cut it back to bare branches (gulp again). And finally, I wasn't liking the form of my Crape Myrtle Muscogee--which wants to be large (like 20 ft)--so I did some major pruning to encourage the growth of a thicker canopy--I didn't commit full blown crape "murder" as our southern friends would say, but it was a close call---triple gulp! So I am too embarrassed to post photos as the stuff I pruned hard is going to take time to start growing. I will post before and after photos later in summer to show how things fared.

o

Oh....and just a bit more about spring in New England and what Steve said above. The progression of spring in New England as a whole is very interesting. We always get started much earlier down here on the far south coast than most other places. That is because we generally don't have a snow cover so the ground starts to warm up in February and by March the early bulbs and blooming shrubs are already starting the show. At the same time, areas further north and inland spend most of March watching the snow melt. But then, as spring progresses, particularly toward the end of April and early May, the inland areas start to heat up while the sea breezes keep the coastal areas cooler (unless our winds shift to W or NW then we are the hottest area). So spring in the inland areas further north catches up or may pass us as far as vegetation development goes. It is an interesting picture and of course it is a little different each year depending on the spring weather patterns. But this current pattern has been amazing for its persistence--with a stuck high pressure area over central New England--so down here in the SE quadrant of the high our winds have been E or NE off the chilly ocean for days on end--whereas on the NW side of the high--like up in Vermont--the winds have been S or SW with very warm conditions. I feel like I am in San Francisco weather wise down here this spring--sunny--and always on the cusp of warm---but not quite there! But I can't wait for RAIN!!!!

o

Yes, we DO need some rain! But never fear, at least those of us who live in southwestern CT. I have taken this week off from work so I can finally get outside and play, so it will most likely rain all week!

:)
Dee

o

Sun, May 5, 13 at 18:29

Serious pruning there, rockman50, I hope they all fare well. I must admit that I've been cutting back roses pretty drastically myself (and I have the wounds to prove it). It's painful to prune a plant when it's just beginning to leaf out and ready to grow enthusiastically.

That's interesting about the spring timing on the far south coast. We don't get that early warm spell here on the southeast coast - we just get the chilly sea breezes so every thing is delayed compared to the interior.

Late daffodils are still opening - some still just have buds.

One of my Dicentra 'Goldhearts' is finally blooming. This is the established bleeding heart. The transplant is still small.

Pierises are in full bloom and the P. 'Little Heath' is also starting its new red growth while the flowers are still there. I think that's a P. 'Cavatine' to the left. I need to separate these guys a bit.

P. 'Little Heath'

Claire

o

Claire, my Little Heath has never bloomed. Yours looks great! There is hope, maybe next year!

I was considering a spicebush, and I am now convinced. Now, where to fit it...

Here is the most amazing thing I found in my garden this weekend. I didn't even recognize it until the second time I looked at it. An uneaten lily. Not a beetle in sight!

photo IMG_2602_zps02037a8b.jpg

tulips, I forget the name but these have lasted for years and years. Look how big my hosta are! They have grown so much in the past few days.

photo IMG_2609_zpsfe053309.jpg

These came with the house. Love them.
 photo IMG_2610_zps11dfb739.jpg

tina

o

Mon, May 6, 13 at 10:45

tina: An uneaten lily, wonderful!

I have two other Little Heaths of the same age and planted a few feet away from the blooming Little Heath. These, though, are near a big miscanthus that keeps getting bigger and looms over the little guys. I kept trying to stake it back last year but it kept escaping and those two Little Heaths didn't bloom this year, so considerable sun is probably really critical for them. I need to do some serious moving a little later on.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Mon, May 6, 13 at 10:46

o

It's so much fun for me to be looking at all these photos and the shade-loving plants. My first house was surrounded by woods and so I'm seeing things I used to need and saying ---- ah, yes! I remember that! Now that we're in blazing full sun, my gardening "style" has changed.

Steve, your magnificent yellow shades of hostas are beautiful! Thirty years ago when I began to seriously garden, there were just a few yellows--- well, actually, I can just remember one but I don't recall its name but do remember that it would burn and/or pale out so easily. Thanks for the peek at the Spicebush Swallowtail with his fierce eyes!

Tina, your daffodil reminds me of Pheasant Eye I had in my first house. Love those tulips! I'm thinking maybe I'll plant some this fall. Had always shied away from them when I lived near the woods because they were vole magnets.

Babs, I agree that hellebores can stand more sun than most people think. Mine get direct morning sun and are huge --- yours is pretty impressive for such a short growing period. And your Dicentra sparkles with its yellow leaves. That's the beauty of the plant, especially in front of darker greens. Bleeding hearts were a staple in my former gardens.

I've also noticed the affect of the cooler winds off the ocean here along s. CT. The ground and air seem not to have warmed as much as I like. Yep, Rockman, I'm looking forward to the predicted rains for this week --- my gardens are parched from the winds that come up off the river.

Molie

o

Love all the pics. Claire, that dicentra is gorgeous!

Epimedium, Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford', Double Trillium

I thought my fernleaf peony was a gonner last year. I didn't know they can go dormant and it was the first year planted. Glad to see it back.

o

• Posted by corunum CT 6 Central CT (My Page) on
    Wed, May 8, 13 at 17:38

That is the first fern leaf peony I've ever seen. What a great little plant, thyme2dig.

I have to think of it as 'artistic' until after it blooms, but here is my deer-pruned purple leaf sand cherry. Two afternoons ago, a doe came through by herself and politely looked at me. Gently but firmly, I pointed to the shrub and said, "Did you do this"?. Honestly, she looked at the shrub and immediately ran into the next yard.
Jane

o

Wed, May 8, 13 at 17:57

t2d: That peony looks like it would be at home on Sesame Street. Such a great plant and blooming so early!

Jane: A deer with a sense of shame - excellent!

Claire

o

LIlacs just starting to open. If you think that there are only light purple and white lilacs you need to go to the Arnold Arboretum in May.

This one is Magenta. Yes that's the right color. Syringa Arch McKean
 photo IMG_0909_zps2d54db21.jpg

This is Kratsivitsa Moskovy (Beauty of Moscow). Pink buds with double white florets, and yes it's fragrant.
 photo IMG_0912_zps676ffbd5.jpg

More as the open later.

Steve

o

Ooh, lilacs. I adore them. Funny that I don't have more, and the one I have is just the plain old one. I have eyed the Beauty of Moscow in the past and just never got one - not a lot of sun here. Loving that magenta too!

Claire, you hit the nail on the head with your Sesame Street allusion! I'm sitting here looking at that fern-leaf peony (like Jane I had never seen one) and thinking how strange it looked and trying to think of how to describe it. And you are absolutely right - it looks like a big shaggy "monster" from Sesame Street... like snuffleupagus or something!

Dee

o

VERY pretty spring gardens you all have. Lucky ducks! I wonder if we all appreciate our gardens enough? I just can’t imagine not having a garden. Such a pleasure to walk out into the garden in the morning.

Tina, I’m actually seeing pretty clean foliage on lilies too. But I keep looking for anything red. I have caught 2 RLLBs but haven’t seen more yet. Pretty spring bulbs.

Love your Pierises Claire, I just have had no luck. I think my garden is too dry.

I finally got some real rain, but maybe a little more than an inch only. I could use about three inches. We may have more on the weekend.

I wonder, does anyone have any daffodils still blooming? Mine seem to all be gone by.

My dogwood is also just showing some color.

Rockman, you are a brave man…lol! That is a LOT of pruning. Will be very interested to see your photos once they start pushing out new growth.

Dee, I’m especially enjoying the hostas just coming up too. Some of mine are finally getting to a good size and they are fascinating to watch unfold and start to color up. I think they are even prettier when they are still in their upright form too.

Thyme2dig, very pretty trio, the Ligularia leaves are such a nice contrast.

o

Here are some pics I took in the front gardens. This area has more of my early blooming perennials and some of my daffodils. Yes, PM2, many of mine have finished blooming ---- hate to see them go. But I was able to get some photos. These two I love! They were planted years ago and I've forgotten their names.

A revere bicolor

A "crisp" white like Pheasant Eye but with a longer cup

Below against a favorite landscape rock --- the ground cover Veronica 'Waterperry Blue' that I love and have planted everywhere. It's getting overrun by Gallium odoratum.

Primula vialii

o

Fri, May 10, 13 at 10:49

molie: That rock was made to be a foil for the Veronica - the red tones are perfect.

PM2: Here on the cool coast I still have lots of daffodils blooming although some of the earlier ones have gone by. It's getting hot already this morning and if this continues my other daffodils may be departing soon.

Pictures of Narcissus from this morning:

I was shocked to realize that N. Toby the First is still looking good tucked under the winterberry - this is one of the first to bloom and started in early April this year.

N. Fragrant Rose next to an azalea starting to bloom.

N. Geranium, an oldie but reliable.

N. Sir Winston Churchill, a double descendant of Geranium.

N. Hawera, looking more like a wildflower than a daffodil.

And good old N. Thalia.

The azaleas are starting; this is Hino Crimson.

and a lily-flowered tulip that migrated somehow to under the wisteria. I'm not sure what the name is - I planted a few that turned out not to be what I thought I bought.

Can't resist one more pic of Dicentra 'Goldheart' this morning. It's right by my porch and one of the first things I see as I walk out.

RE: Lily leaf beetles - I saw and killed one yesterday but my lilies are up and the foliage is mostly intact.

Claire

o

Thanks for the daffodil update. I have ONE daff still looking ok, it is a late one, Mount Hood and it is planted on the shady side of the yard, with just morning sun. I think I’m going to order more of those in the Fall.

Molie, I have a few Creeping Veronicas too. I love them! They travel just enough and not too much, they stay good looking all season, and the flowers are an added bonus. I have ‘Waterperry Blue’ and two others. One is ‘Georgia Blue’ which is a gorgeous blue and it forms more of a clump.

Claire, I would like to be on the coast today…lol. It is very warm and humid here. I enjoy the high 60s and dry. I have Fragrant Rose and Thalia and their blooms are all shriveled already. I like that long corona on Toby the First. I’ve had Winston Churchill on my list, bc it’s supposed to b fragrant. Is it? Yours seem like they stay pretty upright for a double. That Dicentra is quite a bright spot!

o

Most of my daffodils are gone by now, but my latest-blooming (and one of my favorites) is Quail.

I have the Georgia Blue veronica and every spring I wonder why I don't plant more of it. Very beautiful. I think I am going to use this as a replacement for the blue phlox I have finally given up on.

Dee

o

I don't know the name of these daffs but they are very prolific and still going strong!

o

Dee and PM2, I've been eyeing Veronica 'Georgie Blue'. I think some others on the NE forum also grow this variety and have raved about its color.

Claire, I love your N. Fragrant Rose. It reminds me of N. Salome, which I had at my other home. I grew them with apricot orange tulips (eventually eaten by varmints). That was a knockout combination while it lasted. Thanks, also, for your kind comment on my favorite rock. I actually bought it for my DH as a Valentine's gift soon after we married. (His gift to me was just perfect ---- seven yards of topsoil!)

o

Cute daffs, Sienna, in a nice combination too.

Dee, thanks, Quail is cute, I'll add that to the list.

Molie, now that is a gift I could warm up to too. Topsoil, or compost, or bark mulch, and someone to spread it too. (g)

o

Siennact, what is that shrub blooming behind the daffs? I can't quite make out what it is. Very pretty, and is it variegated?

Claire, you've sold me on that 'gold heart'. Now I have a quest to find one!

o

Wow, Molie, now that sounds like a man worth keeping around!

That's my daphne, isn't she gorgeous! 'Carol Mackie.' Here's another pic. From the other side she is lopsided from snow damage unfortunately. I think I'm going to have to prune off a big branch.

photo C5C43621-936F-4DC4-BA23-97CE56B968CC-5694-000004B365035127_zps16a6b9f6.jpg

o

Siennact, I've always loved Daphnes but never planted them and now my yard is filled to the gills. And RE: my DH, yep! … he's a keeper… he loves to garden, too!

o

Siennact, I was wondering if it was a 'Carol Mackie', but I've never seen one so pristine. I usually see them looking a bit scraggly, so I've never planted one in my gardens. You have made me take a step back to rethink this shrub. I love the way you've paired it with the hosta. How long has it been in? Does it usually bloom reliably for you like the above picture each year?

A couple shots from this morning:

You know. sometimes it is just worth it to shell out some serious dough for a plant. Point in case is my double trillium. It cost me a fortune and I put everything else back on my garden cart at the nursery in order to purchase this one plant. I absolutely love the bloom. It's hard to tell from the picture but this flower is over 3" across.

I really like Exochorda 'The Bride' and I'm not sure why more local nurseries don't stock Exochorda in general.
It took a bit of a hit last summer but is bouncing back.

One of my favorite shrubs is Viburnum 'Popcorn'. It has such a great shape and blooms profusely.

I've been enjoying this jack in the pulpit this spring.

And the crabapple is coming into bloom. The chipmunks didn't eat all the buds off (yes, they've done that many years) so we have a good batch of blooms this year. We found that many of our crabapples would get tent caterpillars in the spring and webworms in the fall, so we got rid of almost all of them. This particular one never has a single pest bother it.

o

Oh wow, I've never seen a trillium like that! Gorgeous! I love my plain red ones. My jack-in-the-pulpit pales in comparison to yours as well!

The daphne has been there for about 7 years I think. I bought it as a rooted stick pretty much, so it's grown quickly. It does bloom very well every year, starting from year one as a stick with a flower cluster on the end.

Before I bought it, I read that they tend to have a nice neat form that requires little pruning, and the leaves stay nice and unchewed/unburned all year. That has been my experience so far. One of my favorite shrubs.

o

Lots of great plants, thyme2dig, love all of them. Such a nice vibrant color on your crabapple. The Japanese Jack in the Pulpit and double trillium are very pretty! I am sure you look forward to seeing those in the spring. I do like that Popcorn Viburnum. Does it produce berries?

o

Thanks for the extra info Siennact. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for one and add it to the garden.

PM2, unfortunately, no berries on 'Popcorn'.

o

Tue, May 14, 13 at 17:21

siennact: I've read that the Carol Mackie daphne often just doesn't perform well but yours looks like a resounding success. It must like your garden and your care.

thyme2dig: That trillium is worth whatever you paid for it (and all the other plants are worthy too). So chipmunks eat crabapple buds? That's new to me; squirrels eating rhododendron and wisteria buds are my nemesis.

Fothergilla 'Mt Airy' is blooming now next to some azaleas in one of my woody areas. My garden keeps getting woodier and woodier as the forest encroaches.

The variegated solomon's seal bloomed right after we finally had some rain. It's surrounded by various hostas in a bed under a wild cherry. Northern Exposure is one of the variegated hostas I'm trying to play against the polygonatum. This is I think the second year with the solomon's seal and it's filling in nicely.

I always enjoy the first sprouts of Hosta 'Big Daddy' - it looks like the makings of a good salad.

I like the yucca with cotoneasters and ajuga at the top of my granite steps. The cotoneaster has tiny red flower buds.

Tulip 'Carneval de Nice' comes back each year. Here it's next to the Sir Winston Churchill daffodil.

Claire

o

Claire, you're garden is as beautiful as ever. Your Fothergilla must smell heavenly. I saw them last week at the Clinton Crossing outdoor mall. I couldn't believe the fragrance. I followed the scent to them....reminds me of licorice... only better. I actually pinched off two pieces and started to try to propagate them. Hopefully, it's not bad manners to pinch little pieces. Let's see if this propagation works.

Tina, your Daphne is lovely. I don't think I have ever seen one before. If you do decide to prune off a branch prior to our Sunday plant swap, please don't throw it away. I love to have it to try to propagate it.

Susan, that magenta pink of the crabapple blooms takes my breath away. Now, I really want my husband to chop down that thuja on the edge of our driveway so I can have a crabapple too.

I am suffering from plant envy....so many lovely gardens!

-Tina

o

thyme2dig, did you purchase that beautiful Jack in the Pulpit, or did it just show up in your yard? I'd love to know the name if you bought it. I saw one - and only one - very similar to it yesterday and thought of you.

Thanks,
Dee

o

Dee, I purchased the jack. It is Arisaema sikokianum. It is huge this year. I wish great shade plants would show up in my garden. That would sure help my pocketbook. Definitely my most expensive purchases are in my tree peony/shade garden. I just can't resist. I'm sure there's no cure!! LOL!!!

Claire, apparently your chipmunks are polite and my squirrels are polite. I've never had an issue with squirrels and rhododendrons or wisteria. Which wisteria do you have? I have the american one which to me has VERY stinky flowers. Maybe that's why the squirrels stay away from it?
That fothergilla/azalea combo is most excellent!

Tina, that poor crabapple has been through the ringer. Moved a few times, and the woodpeckers really do a job on it. Each year I wonder if it will survive with so much of its bark pecked away. I do love the intense color of it, and it blooms at the same time as the euphorbia polychroma in the area around it. The screaming pink and chartreuse is shockingly pretty.

o

Thanks, thyme. I will check to see if this is the same jack I saw yesterday.

Dee

o

Fri, May 17, 13 at 9:24

thyme2dig: I think the wisteria is Japanese - I found a few vines left over from my mother's garden and I "trained" them into a sort of standard. It took years for it to bloom but it's pretty reliable now (if the squirrels don't get the buds).

The only rhododendron the squirrels nosh on is Percy Wiseman. I used to see the rhodie covered with buds in the winter and then they would disappear one at a time. So now I cage it every winter. Chipmunks are hibernating when the massacre happens. I took the cage off a few days ago when the buds began to open. This is Percy this morning:

Claire

o

The Hostas are starting to look really good right now. I'll try to limit myself to the ones that are the most dramatic. Here goes.

Beckoning, probably looks its best in May.
Beckoning photo IMG_0934_zps429511f4.jpg

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel photo IMG_0950_zps9a4e74f1.jpg

Lakeside Prophecy
LS Prophecy photo IMG_0957_zps2cdf38ce.jpg

Blue Hawaii, probably the bluest plant in my garden.
Blue Hawaii photo IMG_0965_zpse7dafeb7.jpg

Dawn's Early Light
Dawn's Early Light photo IMG_0966_zps8583e7ed.jpg

Journey's End, subtly variegated
Journey's End photo IMG_0968_zpscd1ba52b.jpg

Sum and Substance. That plant label is 24 inches tall.
Sum and Substance photo IMG_0969_zps32c7acfe.jpg

Key West
Key West photo IMG_0973_zpsba36b163.jpg

Spilt Milk
Spilt MIlk photo IMG_0978_zpsb2a7cd63.jpg

Blue Ivory
Blue Ivory photo IMG_0980_zps025cb0b7.jpg

Lakeside Frosted Mint
LS Frosted Mint photo IMG_0987_zps7ba0ac63.jpg

Autumn Frost
Autumn Frost photo IMG_0988_zpsaa063ab0.jpg

And for those who like streaked plants, here's one of my seedlings.
WLOP photo IMG_0993_zps1c451f82.jpg

I have a few other plants too.
Clematis montana Mayleen
C montana Mayleen photo IMG_0995_zps55cd2b9e.jpg

The White Garden
 photo IMG_0983_zpsfd940f04.jpg

Allium
 photo IMG_0985_zps36e12570.jpg

Clematis buds
Clematis buds photo IMG_0976_zpsd652b007.jpg

Steve

o

Sat, May 18, 13 at 17:41

Steve: Hostas have really come a long long way from when my mother planted green funkia and variegated funkia (that's what she called them), and you seem to be growing all of the newest varieties. I'm surprised you still have room for clematis and rhododendrons and alliums. Alluring photos as usual.

Some more spring woodsy plants are blooming here. The first Spanish Bluebells - the white are opening first, the pink and blue are delayed a bit.

Assorted columbines with variegated euonymus:

Cotoneaster red buds:

And the dwarf conifers that are dominant in the winter are beginning to be submerged in groundcover but they're forming new candles. I need to weed out that grass and maybe some of the phlox.

Pinus sylvestris 'Albyn Prostrata' with ajuga and phlox.

A little bigger than dwarf but still not full size is Pinus rigida 'Sand Beach', a pitch pine that spreads horizontally. It's putting out a whole array of interesting cones.

Floating in a sea of phlox:

but if you look closer:

If nothing else, the local pitch pine gene pool should be greatly enriched.

Claire

o

Long view of perennial bed starting to come to life, finally.

o

My best yard sale find to date. $30 dollars for this pot, which was selling at the same time at Home Depot for $219.00! Now I just need to get better at containers.

o

Here's the link to the updated album of what's happening in my backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: RI-Mike Photos

o

Claire - those are really adorable pine trees!

A bunch of pictures from my garden in May. In no particular order:
I'm really happy with my white garden this year.
White Garden photo IMG_5872_zps73a16a1c.jpg

White Garden photo IMG_5920_zps8ea78509.jpg

Close up of the muscari
White Muscari photo IMG_5868_zpsc20f1096.jpg

The tulips and muscari were looking fabulous last week - before the rain knocked all the petals off!
Tulips and Muscari photo IMG_5875_zps332d4a5f.jpg

Muscari photo IMG_5880_zps5ffaeecb.jpg

Azalea in full bloom
Azalea photo IMG_5940_zpsd39dc372.jpg

The shade garden is looking fabulous this year as well.
Dicentra Valentine photo IMG_5975_zps6a18b4af.jpg

Jack in the Pulpit photo IMG_5974_zpsc11b090b.jpg

Solomons Seal photo IMG_5973_zpsf5666e64.jpg

Dicentra photo IMG_5894_zpse40b7269.jpg

Frittalria and Dicentra photo IMG_5881_zps474b5549.jpg

o

Mike, nice little greenhouse/hoophouse you've got there! I'm jealous! Of course, I'm just jealous of your nice flat land to put the house on, never mind the house itself, lol. Are those figs you've got in there?

Nice pics, Pixie Lou!

Dee

o

Dee,

Yes, I've just entered the world of figs this year.

o

Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:32

That was a very good yard sale you visited, Mike, and the plants in the container complement it nicely.

Very pretty spring garden there, Pixie Lou. I think I see some fritillaria in the last photo - have you had any problems with the red lily leaf beetle attacking them?

I hesitated to post pictures of my berberis which is on the MA invasive plant list - I don't want to encourage people to plant them - I bought it back when I didn't know better (and it wasn't prohibited) but it's just so beautiful this time of year and I have no intention of ripping it out.

This is Berberis "Golden Ring" (the gold edge hasn't developed yet).

It's planted next to the pierises and I like the purple foliage with the new orangey foliage of the pierises. The berberis is about 5 - 6 ft tall and wide.

Very small flowers but the bees love them.

Claire

o

claire - i just got the fritillaria last fall. so it is my first year. i've had minimal problems with red lily beetle the past few years. not sure if it's because I usually use a grub-x type product - though I never got around to it this year. I also live next to wellesley where i think some parasitic wasp was released to kill the rlb. but i have not seen any damage to the fritillaria or the lillies this year.

o

Before May is over and gone, I guess I should post a few photos. First though I have to say how much I love the photos of trillium and jack-in-the-pulpits. I remember finding these wildflowers, and ladies slippers too, in the woods as a small child with my grandparents. In fact a small wildflower garden of these perennials along our wooded trail has been taking root in my mind. Perhaps next year when I have more time.

I just adore your garden Mike! It is like a meandering stream of flowers across your lawn! How lovely!

This spring I made the crazy decision this year to buy and plant 34 trees. The watering tasks associated with them has consumed us! Trees are us right now! I'm so loving these past days of rain, even though our lawns are turning into a hayfield! My gardens are in a deplorable state of neglect, but I tell myself I will play catch-up once the trees are established.

Despite my neglect, here are some of my blooms from this month:

(above) My bleeding heart by the front step.

Forsythia alongside the brook.

The daffodils were beautiful this year, and have spread. I plan to plant the entire slope behind these perennial beds with daffodils this fall. I think I have several varieties, all yellow, and all from the cheap bargain bin. The fancier varieties always died out, but these are thriving, and the rodents don't eat them!

My little American Spirit crabapple blooming inside the dogs' fenced yard in foreground, my Profusion crab in the front yard, and my neighbor's crabapple in full bloom across the road.

My Profusion crabapple in full bloom a week later.

Late last summer I thought my rhubarb plants had died out, but this year they came back vibrant and healthy. I guess they just disappear after they bloom, like the bleeding hearts. I made a delicious cherry/rhubarb pie for the third year in a row!

o

Wed, May 22, 13 at 17:02

34 trees, spedigrees? What kind of trees? and this fall you're going to plant hundreds of daffodils on that slope? The slope will be beautiful next spring.

I love your crabapples in flower. I just discovered several mystery volunteer saplings in my yard are indeed crabapples, seedlings from a white crabapple up the street. This year two of them are in flower (another reason to limit weeding - you may find volunteer crabapples in your yard). They're not very photogenic yet so I'm not posting pics of them.

Geranium macrorrhizum 'Ingwersen's Variety' is blooming (I've almost got to the point where I can type macrorrhizum without googling the spelling - but not quite there yet). The geraniums are at the bottom of my stone wall next to cotoneasters. The cotoneasters started at the top of the wall and drooped over, some of them rooting in the lawn below.

and in another part of my garden Hosta 'Diana Remembered' is surrounded by the geraniums. I just planted this hosta last summer and it seems happy there.

The doublefile viburnum I bought a while back as a rooted cutting for $2 is blooming. It was just labeled "Double Viburnum". I look down on it from my deck.

And my wisteria is in bloom:

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, May 23, 13 at 9:21

o

Claire,

Your garden is just amazing!

Every time I look at your garden, I want what you have. :-)

-Tina

o

Claire, I think you win the prize for best garden deal EVER. $2 for the viburnum and now you get to look down on a beautiful shrub. It must be a spectacular site to look down into the layered blooms.

Everyone's pictures are great. I see a lot of folks with white gardens and they are so beautiful makes me wonder why I don't have one!
Mike, that hoophouse is terrific!

I love when the crabapple makes it snow pink:

Here are some pictures of the gardens in the backyard that we put in a few years ago. It's amazing how much things fill in so quickly. Some of the color is definitely off in these photos from what it looks like on my disc and what it looks like in picasa. I'm not sure what is happening.

finally got all that clover out in the foreground yesterday!

And at the driveway I always love the spring colors of the japanese maple foliage.

Claire, I'm with you. I'll never get rid of my barberries. The front slope wouldn't be the same without them.

o

I love your photo and remark about the "pink snow" beneath the crabapple trees, Thyme2dig. This analogy just popped into my head the other day.

My trees are mostly evergreens, blue and Norway spruce and balsam firs, two more flowering crabapples, and 12 maples, red and sugar, Claire. Also are a few lilacs and forsythias, although technically these are not trees.

Yes volunteer plants and trees are always interesting gifts, either from nature or from neighbors. Enjoy your white blooming crabapples; they are beautiful this time of year!

This post was edited by spedigrees on Thu, May 23, 13 at 17:22

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 18:11

Thanks, Tina. The camera allows me to selectively pick those areas of the garden that look good right now, and to avoid those areas that are not really photo worthy at this time or are looking particularly unkempt.

What really impresses me is a series of pictures like thyme2dig just posted. She shows the whole yard and the whole yard looks good!!! It's all well-planned and well-maintained and really admirable.

Anyway, here's a photo of my $2 viburnum as seen from the deck. It's not mature sized yet and I expect it to get 4 or 5 feet taller and wider so it should be much more impressive. That's a new little Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' just beyond it that I also have great hopes for.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Thu, May 23, 13 at 18:13

o

One of my current favorite spots in the garden includes a deep purple lilac, I think Ludwig Spaeth and the deciduous rhododendron 'Narcissiflora' with an underplanting of Veronica 'Georgia Blue'.

o

This combination of Hakone grass, Hosta, and wild columbine needs to be moved from this spot since it's now in full sun due to a tree removal. But for now, it's so bright on this gray day that the camera doesn't quite know what to do with it. I like that due to the short life of the columbine, it's rearranged a bit differently each year as the columbine comes up in different spots each season.

o

Thyme2dig, your yard is impressive! Did you design it yourself?

nhbabs, the purple and yellow is a nice combination. I have some lilacs with the house we bought. They were a sorry bunch and never bloomed. It wasn't until I decided to put down some shade plants that I discovered they were lilacs. I'm not sure why they were planted underneath a Kousa dogwood which was underneath a 40 or 50' maple. I don't have enough sun to support lilacs and hate to dig up and throw out living plants.

As for columbines, it's amazing how many different colors and color combinations are available. I am hoping to beg some seeds from people this fall.

-Tina

o

Nhbabs, I really like the columbine/grass combo. The purple and yellow makes a perfect combination. It's so pretty.

Tina, I did design the back gardens myself. I drew inspiration for the layout of the beds and paths from Pamela Harper's garden in VA. My mom is friends with her and I had the good fortune of being able to walk around her garden with her. We emailed back and forth quite a bit as I was planning the backyard and she was very helpful with some good tips.

As far as the plant choices, I knew I wanted to ultimately wind up with a layered natural effect, so I planted ornamental trees, the next layer of shrubs and the final layer of perennials. I did a lot of homework especially about shrubs and trees to find out their characteristics, seasonal interest, etc. So, I did spend a lot of time developing the plant choices to go in the backyard.

One of the things I am finding is that I need to group same perennials together to give them the same mass as the look of a shrub. This is the year that I'm moving perennials around a bit to accomplish that. I think in about 5 years the trees will have caught up and surpassed the height of the shrubs so it will be a bit more layered.

Here are some pictures from a window in the house to give a better perspective of the backyard. in the first picture to the right you can see the stone stairs that lead down to the driveway. Again, the color is way off and everything looks quite a bit redder than it actually is. We mulch in general with chopped oak leaves.

o

This has been a wonderful thread to visit and then revisit-- kind of like taking a garden tour without getting in the car.

In my yard the narcissus are done for the season. Many of my early perennials are drooping over from all the rainy/windy weather we've had --- but this rain has really helped to cancel out the deficit.

Claire, I love the contrast in foliage between your pieris and berberis---- plus the underside view of their dainty flowers. Sometimes I wish my yard were larger so I could play with the different forms, textures and coloration of leaves in larger trees and shrubs. Truth is, though, I'm just barely able to keep ahead of the work in our small yard! And yes, I agree with Tina that I feel more than a bit of yard envy as I look at your gardens.

Below is a photo of my two Percy Wiseman's --- really gorgeous this year. The one on the left gets more afternoon sun and so "finishes" earlier than the one up front on the right.

Steve, I always love seeing your hosta plants --- Autumn Frost is striking and I love the coloration in Journey's End. My DH saw your Blue Ivory and said 'Let's get one of those!' (Wish we had more room.) I also thought about Sum and Substance --- isn't that one of the older varieties of yellow? I think I remember that one from when I worked in a garden center. One thing I wish you would do is post a long view of your hosta garden area so we could see how the all the colors and textures play against each other.

Sped, your gardens are always so beautiful but what I love most about your photos is being able to see "peeks" of VT beyond your yard. Long ago I lived Brattleboro & one daughter went to college in Vermont---- I have such fondness for your state!

T2D, I can't leave out New Hampshire. I also lived in Keene--- miss it --- the wonderful people, the views of Mt. Monadnock and the scent of the pines around us. Do I see white pines in the distance in some of your pictures?

Boy do I admire your work in the back and side where the grass areas have become pathways through and around the garden "islands". This is something we've been working on, too. Totally agree with your decision to group the same perennials together to give them as much "substance" as your shrubs.

That crabapple "snow" is lovely against the variety of foliage--- darks, yellows, and variegated leaves. But honestly, I always love the view of your front slope and the stairs going up into the gardens. Oh, that I were younger and could work with stone again! Meh! Maybe I should just wish for wealth so that I could watch over a stone crew as they in my yard (lol)

RI-Mike, you are a dynamo! Your perennial bed will get even lovelier as we get more warm weather. I checked out your Picasa link and wow! That's a real professional greenhouse setup you've created.

Molie

o

The irises are starting to bloom. I have a huge vase on my kitchen table - i'm going out daily to rescue the ones that are being knocked over by this much needed rain. These photos were taken on Wednesday. At the time only 1 siberian iris was open - I must now have 100 in bloom on the back side of the pond!

iris 4 photo iriscropped_zpsec610012.jpg

iris 1 photo IMG_6088_zpsd329a14c.jpg

iris 2 photo IMG_6089_zpsefdf2f45.jpg

iris 3 photo IMG_6105_zps937396fa.jpg

iris 5 photo IMG_6121_zpsfe4a78f9.jpg

photo sibericacropped_zps3325b776.jpg

Clematis Miss Bateman is having a fabulous showing this year.

clematis miss bateman photo IMG_6113_zps7e63f6f2.jpg

Lastly - these mushrooms have cropped up. They must easily be 12" in diameter!
mushrooms photo IMG_6139_zpsea735a72.jpg

o

Pixie, how about a long view of the pond that will show all the iris? Love your Miss Bateman--- she must be over 8 ft tall. It looks like an even more striking clematis than the white Candida I planted on the arbor.

Only my Nellie Moser has bloomed. I guess we just need more sun.

Molie

o

Molie,

Sum and Substance is a chartreuse color. It does get lighter if it's in more sun. But it's a monster plant. Mine is 30 inches high and 6 feet wide and it's still not fully mature. Blue Ivory, however, is a modest medium sized plant. It will only be about 30 inches wide at maturity.

Thyme, I must say I find those pictures both inspirational and intimidating. I hope my garden someday looks half as nice as that.

One more pic for May. I finally got this one IDed thanks to the Peony Forum and thought the name fit this weekend. It's an Itoh Peony called 'Singing in the Rain.'

Steve

o

Everyone's gardens look so beautiful! Mine is so tiny but is all I can handle haha...but seeing all your beautiful plants makes me wish I had more room. ;)

I took a few pictures this morning now that the rain has stopped.

My Japanese maple is so red it almost glows

photo null-29.jpg

Allium, with blooming Baptisia and Angel Cheeks peony ready to bloom

photo null-30.jpg

I don't know what type of iris this is...I took a rhizome with one little frond that never bloomed in my neighbor's garden a couple of years ago, and it's now this monster. The stalks are 4' high

photo null-28.jpg

photo null-32.jpg

Allium with poppies ready to burst

photo null-31.jpg

Columbine 'leprechaun'

photo null-34.jpg

Spanish bluebells with Hosta 'Sum and Substance'

photo null-35.jpg

This area is already out of control. I will whack back the Geranium 'St. Ola' after it blooms...there is a path to the fountain buried under there

photo null-33.jpg

And I'll ask here because I can't get a consensus - do you think these urns are too big? I think a size down would be better but I can't find any.

photo null-36.jpg

o

KPaquette - I really like how the gray and white of your house complements the gold and deep red color scheme. I don't think that your urns are too large, but your step area is really too small for them. That is, I am not sure that any size pot will look comfortable there. Have you considered putting the pots in the garden just off the walkway, perhaps on some blocks to match your path and/or of the same height as the bottom step? That would effectively widen your entry and allow placement of your pots without making the step feel crowded.

o

Molie, I really like those 'Percy Wiseman'. I like that your pic shows the color evolution of the shrubs as they go from bud to bloom. If I didn't have a constant war with deer and Rhodies, I'd love to plant one.
LOL!! I always dream of winning the lottery! Not for plants, but for a deer fence, another well, a long fence along the side.....
We didn't do any of the rock work ourselves. We were VERY lucky in that our piece of property had all the rock buried on it from when they blasted through the road. As they dug the foundation, well and gas lines, all the rock was coming up. We saved it in a corner of the yard and a couple years after the house was done we brought someone in to put it all to good use. One of my favorite things he did was make us a stone staircase.

Pixielou, I would love to see a broad pic of all those iris in bloom. It looks like you have a beautiful collection. You also just ID'd my clematis. My mom gave it to me and probably told me the name which I promptly forgot. I do have a bad habit of not keeping track of the names of things I have planted.

Steve, that Itoh is KILLER!!! I'll definitely have to keep my eyes peeled for that one. I just picked up 'Bartzella' but I think that one is going to be so "common" when it's all said and done. Did you get that one locally, or mail order? Some of them can break the bank!

Kpaquette, I love your garden. You have a beautiful house. I agree with Nhbabs about moving the urns just into the garden to widen your entryway. I love those urns by the way. Do you have to repaint them often? Do you keep them out all winter? I really like the way you used foliage in the garden for a lot of interest. Which baptisia is that? It is so healthy and huge.
Can you get us a pic of the entire front yard? It looks like you really have some great curb appeal. The slate path is beautiful.

o

Aww thank you Thyme...It's small but jam packed haha. This is starting it's 5th year in the ground, we had Avant Gardens install it in 2009. The I believe the baptisia is ' twilight prairie blues'. It gets absolutely huge - like 5' across. Almost too big haha.

The urns are new, which is why I can't decide if I should keep them. I need to find a size smaller but that's proven difficult. I would leave them out year round though, and change out the plants with the seasons. I agree with putting them to the side to widen the entry but I really do want something on either side of the door. The step looks really naked with nothing on it.

It's hard to capture our whole house/yard. The front door is set perpendicular to the street and the garden is next to it, not behind like what's normal. Plus if I get far enough to fit the whole thing then you can't see anything because of the plants haha. I need one of those special lenses that makes small places look bigger. Here is a pic from the sidewalk -

photo null-39.jpg

what it looks like through the arbor. Eventually the trumpet vine grows in and hides the neighbors to the back.

photo null-42.jpg

photo null-43.jpg

from the street other way

photo null-41.jpg

Our solution to screening the neighbors house - ignore hubby. ;)

photo null-37.jpg

Oh, and my first poppy opened today. ;)

photo null-40.jpg

o

Thyme,

I bought that plant from Parks or Wayside 3 years ago for $35 I think. Not a bad price for an Intersectional Peony, but it was quite small. It flowered last year for the first time with just a few buds. This year it has exploded with dozens of buds all over the plant. These plants grow well enough, but take their time reaching maturity. Here's a shot of the plant. It's 3 feet tall and as wide.

Steve

o

I'm with Claire this year, ie cherry-picking those areas of my property that are not in a complete state of neglect, to photograph!

In fact I don't think that my yard has ever looked remotely as well tended as yours, Thyme, and I doubt that it ever will! I do love the islands in a sea of lawn look to your gardens. It is what I have tried to achieve with my three perennial beds. I also love your stone staircase.

Pixie and kpaquette, I enjoy seeing the photos of your Irises. It will be awhile before mine bloom, so it is a sneak preview. I love your poppy, kpaquette. They are so lovely but the blooms are fleeting.

The only thing still blooming for me right now is my lilac. It is a French hybrid that my mother gave us back in the 1970s shortly after we moved in. It has its quirks. The blooms have no fragrance and wilt quickly when cut and put into a vase with water. Also it doesn't produce suckers and can't be reproduced by taking cuttings. But it is pretty, and an old friend.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 17:48

So many beautiful May posts!

kpaquette: Your house and garden are very lovely and I agree with nhbabs that the urns aren't too big but they should be moved down and out a bit to avoid that crowded look at the top of the steps. I have a feeling of deja vu here - did you post this question and photos a few years ago with different planters? I seem to recall discussing it before, but I could be wrong.

As a lead in to June, my first roses are just beginning to bloom, the rugosas.

Rosa 'Yankee Lady'

Rosa Blanc Double de Coubert

Even with the allergy season I got a whiff of the rose fragrance.

Claire

o

Great May photos! First time I'm seeing them, as my modem has been on the blink for a few weeks, so too many to comment on. This thread was the most difficult to open with so many photos. Maybe Part I and Part II for May and June might work out better? I'm not having trouble opening it now, but wonder if someone else might be.

o

Kpaquette, thanks for posting the extra photos. Your home and garden are just lovely. What a beautiful design. The patio looks so inviting. Love all the plant material.

o

Ditto! Kpaquetter, you have a lovely, charming home and garden. Very inviting. Thyme stole all my adjectives, lol, but I agree completely. Thank you for sharing.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here