Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen288_gw

Now that Glorias in Milford is closed...

jen288
18 years ago

...where do I go for veggie plants? Any suggestions? I am specifically looking for Milford/Orange area or Naugatuck/Bethany area. Also a place that is open later than 6:00 would be good too. Does anyone have opinions about Treeland in Bridgeport?

Comments (30)

• rudysmallfry
    18 years ago

Have you been to Glendale Farms in Miford? I don't know how their prices are, but that place is huge.

I go to Robert Treat farm over by Woodmont, but they are a tad pricey.

• casey1gw
    18 years ago

Treeland has healthy veggies. They're reasonable for their annuals, etc. but a bit pricey for their shrubs.

• ronr
    18 years ago

you could also try barretta gardens on north st. just a couple miles from glorias,this used to be the old Franks nursery location on north st. (rt. 121) across from eisenhower park.
    they are open till 8:00 or 8:30 at night.

• aeiger
    18 years ago

I like treeland. Always get good healthy plants. Good variety too. /Abi

• jen288
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions! But I think I'm going to try Glendale Farms (as it's super close to work and I can go on my lunch hour). I'll give a review later...

• Richard Dollard
    18 years ago

I went to that Fioritto's a few weeks back with some friends and we were so disappointed. I have to say it was a dump. Nothing was organized and half the stuff was dead. Glendale was much much better but I didn't see anything there I wanted. There is a small place on Grassy Hill Rd in Orange ..not that farm stand but on the same side..you will see a sign that says vegetable and flower plants and go down the driveway to the greenhouses. They usually have nice stuff. I am going there this weekend to look for some basil.

• jen288
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So I just got back from Glendale farms. It's a great place for annual flowers, but not a huge selection of veggies. They have one whole greenhouse of tomatoes...another of all kinds of peppers, which was cool. I wound up getting 6 (plants not flats) of Early girl tom's, 6 Mountain Pride tom's, 12 cukes, 6 jalepenos, 6 habernaros & 1 catnip plant and it came to $11.25...I guess that's good.

They had no basil and no green beans, so I'm going to try Baretta's that ronr suggested on the way home!

• aeiger
    18 years ago

Green beans are usually grown from seed as they dislike being disturbed after germination. /Abi

• rudysmallfry
    18 years ago

Robert Treat on New Haven Ave near Woodmont has a lot of herb selections.

• jen288
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Josh - It's funny you mentioned The Sunflower Farm...I drive by it EVERY day to go to work...The place your thinking of is Filanowski's. I wound up peeking in Barreta's... Although it wasn't a bad experience, I wasn't floored...

Abi..
    A co-worker questioned why I get plants also. I have always had good luck with plants. High yeild. Do you think I could plant seeds, say mid season for a late summer crop? I'd like to try it!

• Richard Dollard
    18 years ago

That's it,Filanowski's,not Fiorittos like I had posted above. We went there and it was very dumpy and the quality of the plants were very poor. There was no consistency among the greenhouses either. It was a mish mash of stuff all over the place and either overwatered or dried out and dead. I hate to badmouth a business but it was pretty bad. Richie

• sladybug2
    18 years ago

I can't believe Gloria's closed. That place has been there forever and no more talking tree. I'm so sad..:(

• peel
    18 years ago

I work down the street from Filanowski's but I never went there until about a week ago. The place is huge, but for a novice gardener like me its lack of organization was completely offputting. Annuals mixed with perrenials, herbs in with the shrubs, hardly anything was labeled or priced. I had no idea what I was looking at most of the time. It's too bad because they have a very wide selection. I just can't spend an entire day trying to dicipher their "system".

• lamico
    17 years ago

Hi Jen,

I know it was last year that you were looking for a place to buy vegetable plants but I just saw your post. Try Golden Acre Farms in West Haven. This link is their site & you can get an idea of what they carry. http://www.westhaven.com/ They grow everything organically & I have had pretty good luck with them in the past. When I was there everything was very healthy & resonably priced. A girl named Debbie runs the farm.

Linda
    Orange, CT

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Van Wilgens moves into the old Gloria's location. I read the other day that they are still working on the legalities, but are proceeding as if it will happen. I've never been to Van Wilgens, but I always see their ads in the paper - a bit too far for me to travel, so it would be nice if they were more local.

:)
    Dee

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Dee, are they just opening another location, or are they moving their whole operation? I like Van Wilgens, their perennial selection is fairly good, have tons of large Clematis and they have many trees and shrubs-not necessarily many unusual ones-but a decent selection.

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I stopped by Glendale Farms today to pick up some hanging baskets for the front porch and they had quiet a lot of healthy looking vegetable plants but the stuff was going fast! I ended up getting 5 healthy looking hanging baskets. Richie

• Richard Dollard
    17 years ago

I went by the old Glorias yesterday and it seems a wine shop is moving in the building in the front...the brick bldg. I don't know if they are taking the whole bldg or what. I read in the paper about 2 weeks ago that Van Wilgens and Glorias couldn't xome to an agreement on part of the lease so the talks had stalled.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Monique, I believe they are going to open a second location at the old Gloria's, while keeping their original location also. Like Richie, I had read that there were problems on an agreement, but I also read that they're still trying to work it out. Keeping my fingers crossed - it's always nice to have a few places to choose from.

:)
    Dee

• dmf4
    17 years ago

Did anyone try the new nursery in Monroe Ct called SunShine Nursery & Garden Center? They have a good selection of annuals & perennials, excellent selection of rare to the trade shrubs & trees and all at good prices. The staff are very friendly.

• rjmacchia
    17 years ago

I know it is probably too little too late but I stumbled on this and felt the need to mention Q-Gardens. right on the post rd between the mall and costco. open late 9-8 m-sat 9-6 sun, during the spring and summer. Q has more hardgood lawn and garden supplies than anywhere else. (Josh, even the entire espome line, and i mean the entire line not just the "-tones") During spring and summer the annuals, herbs, baskets, trees, shrubs are quality plants. good selection, good prices, good location. Open since 1928, but over the years developed a reputation for patio furniture. The garden center is still full of good products.

• rjmacchia
    17 years ago

sorry if the above reads like an ad. I didn't mean for that to happen. Just wanted to help.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

rjmacchia:

Enthusiasm on behalf of a garden center is always appreciated, just so long as you have no financial interest in the business.

When the forum wakes up again in the spring, a thread on favorite garden centers and nurseries will probably reemerge.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Garden Centers and Nurseries 2006

• rockyrulz11_lycos_com
    16 years ago

I'll wake this thread up. Anyone have any thoughts on Marcuio Farms on RT.34 in derby? Never been there yet but thinking about dropping by this weekend. How are there prices on shrubs?

• Richard Dollard
    16 years ago

I have bought many things at Marcucios in the past few years. In the beginning he had some unusual stuff. His prices are not bad. He is going to expand his greenhouse as soon as he gets approval. There is also Amity Garden Center on rte 63 in Bethany if you don't mind the drive. I also like Cheshire Nursery and The Tower...both in Cheshire. Richie

• syble
    16 years ago

Are there any really good nurseries in the Central Mass/Oxford area?

I need to get some border plants for a full sun, slightly sloped area and want to be able to select from a good assortment. Plus, I want some nice lilacs for around the exterior of the house... want that great fragrance.

• nikk0315_tmail_com
    16 years ago

I am a Filanowski, and my father was raised on the farm on Wheeler's Farm Rd in Milford. Unfortunatly through the years the farm has downsized and many things are in transition. I currently reside in FL w my father, and when I return to CT I def want 2 take part in revitalizing the property. I am offended from comments people so boldly make without doing research of the property and jump at making comments soley on one visit. It is a family buisness from many years and I know it is meant to be displayed that way. It is not meant 2 b displayed as a mass market as a garden center. People that displayed comments couldnt even get our name right. Old foogies. Get a clue! D u feel if some1 bad mouth ur house calling it a dump? The property was incredible b4 the town slapped the interstate through it. I would rather shop where people know my name than a place they call me ma'am.

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

hope there's not war a-brewing. Moderation in all things....

• jm1j
    14 years ago

I have been buying ALL my annuals there for over 10 years. You absolutely can NOT beat the prices. Beautiful hanging fushias, wave petunias, new ginea impatiens, for $10. Every hot house is a new adventure. I LOVE wandering through them. I have NEVER been disappointed. And quite frankly, I am dumbfounded by the negative comments. Come with me and I'll show you the treasures there!!!