Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird not using feeder??

Posted by rich_manure z6 SEMA (richdelmo@aol.com) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 13:24

Any one have a clue why my hummingbird won't use this feeder. I have a brand new feeder in location I've been using for years that has always attracted the hummers, but this year so far it has not it. I have another feeder on the opposite side of my house that gets frequent visits, usually they would go from one directly to the other but not this year?????

BTW I have refreshed the feeding mixture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird not using feeder??

I am wondering the same thing! I have a new feeder(different shape) in the exact location the old one was. The hummingbird buzzes around it, but has yet to feed from it!

Teresa

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 12 at 16:09

What do the feeders look like? any photos?

Claire

o

If they are plastic, did you wash them before filling them? I often find that new plastic has an odor and am wondering if the hummers can smell or see something in the new feeders that they don't like.

o

My hummingbird must have read my post, literally a few hours after starting this thread he showed up at the new feeder. That's good news but I only saw him there one more time, at least he is using it.

o

I hope some new kind of toxic plastic (from China) is not now being used to manufacture hummingbird feeders. That is troubling. Maybe when I need to replace the two I have now, I should switch to glass feeders.

o

My feeder was purchased at Lowes; it is the flat round type and is all plastic. (looks like Droll Yankee feeder?)
I previously used the bottle-type glass feeder. I think I am going to get another glass bottle-type feeder and see what happens.

Teresa

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 8:58

The flat Droll Yankee type feeders are fine. Maybe it's just that the hummers haven't figured out yet that there's nectar in there. Or maybe a new plastic smell. Otherwise, I haven't a clue.

Claire

o

From what I've read birds have excellent eyesight and hearing, but they don't have much of a sense of smell.

o

Well, after several weeks and only one female stopping for 60 seconds, I'm going back to the glass feeder too. The top of the flat, round feeder is totally paled out. We'll see if changing feeders attracts anybody. A friend told me that her window feeder attracts far more, sometimes 6 hummers at a time, but the hanging flat feeder in the open near flowers only attracts a few and not as often. Maybe I should make sign: Free Food.

Jane...with no hummers :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here