Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

which one should go?

WendyB 5A/MA
13 years ago

I stuck some daylilies in an available corner a couple/few years ago. Now the birds nest spruce and the daylilies are definitely colliding. One of them has to go. In the long run, the birds nest spruce will probably get swallowed up by the magnolia, so maybe it should go?

decisions...decisions... Your vote?

Its kinda late in the year to successfully move the spruce, but I don't mind so much if I lose it.

This was 4-5 years ago. so much room!

Today, various angles:

Comments (7)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Well, I would move the daylilies since they are easy to move. Then think about what I wanted there long term. If it meant moving the spruce next year, and the daylilies back, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

However, I don't think there is enough contrast between the daylily leaves and the magnolia leaves to make it a successful combination. And they are too tall to fit something between them.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

good thinking. I did it. I moved the daylilies next to the bench. I had a bare spot from some recent musical chairs near the bench. THey look good there.

Another thought I had is that in the future I could consider removing lower limbs on the magnolia as it gets bigger. Then the spruce wouldn't get swallowed visually.

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Perfect. I totally agree. Also with the potential to limb up the magnolia if necessary. It will be a while before there is too much conflict between the spruce and magnolia. Of course, if you are already anticipating it, it is easier to move the spruce now also, than it will be when it gets bigger...That magnolia is so beautiful....enjoy.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Speaking of musical chairs, magnolias don't like to be anywhere nearby when that game is going on. Their roots tend to wander in unpredictable directions, and can be quite a distance from the trunk. Although they're certainly easy-care plants, they simply can't take a joke when it comes to cutting into those roots. I learned this the hard way, by losing a lovely Magnolia lobneri (Merrill Magnolia) while reworking an overgrown bed in my front yard.

While they're wonderful in mixed beds, the near neighbors should be permanent, or they will simply pick up and leave (well, sort of; they may sulk and then die if they suffer root damage).

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the tip. Had no idea. That magnolia is a lobneri too... 'Leonard Messel'

I will water extra where I disturbed for the daylilies (outgoing and incoming).

Guess the spruce will stay.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

I have a Merrill magnolia, now about 30 years old. It was skinny and harmless-looking and a bit over 5' tall when we planted it. It was supposed to be a "small" tree--the reason I bought it. It is now a good 35' tall, at least 20' wide in all directions, and still growing madly. I saw one in a private garden in Chestnut Hill years ago that was a solid 50' and still growing.

The magnolia has taken over much of my side yard. Nothing, nothing will grow under it, tho we have limbed it up. It has huge roots and they are shallow.

So far, I have kept it because it flowers early and profusely--it is absolutely packed with flowers almost every year *and* they have the most heavenly fragrance. Foliage is glossy and perfectly healthy.

But I have given up a good chunk of my garden to this one plant. The lawn is all moss and nothing will grow under the magnolia and there is just a ton of shade the rest of the season. Dark and gloomy.

Of course, not all magnolias are like this--but a lot are. Do you know what species/cultivar you have? Move the nice shrub to a place where it will thrive for a long time--not under a magnolia. The daylilies or many other perennials can be popped out anytime.

Lastly, I strongly recommend the bible of magnolias, THE WORLD OF MAGNOLIAS, by Dorothy J. Callaway, published in 1994 by the late, lamented Timber Press. You can get it thru the library--ILL if your library doesn't have it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ironically, I got the magnolia and sited it there to provide a privacy screen for the bench. I guess that part will work!! Can always move the bench - LOL

When I said my merrill was a "leonard messel", I was obviously confused. I thought L.M. was a type of Merill, but not so.

Notice the Merrill has the word vigorous as well as compact. doesn't sound like both apply!

Yes, the flowers and fragrance in the early spring are DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!