Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

Black Swallow-wort vs. Iron HEDTA

leira
12 years ago

Black Swallow-wort has infested not only my yard, but also my lawn. Given that digging up hundreds and hundreds of plants scattered in the lawn is not exactly my idea of fun, I sought out chemical means.

However, the nasty chemical stuff like Triclopyr sort of scares me, especially since I have a toddler in the house...I'm not fond of its effect on the environment, either.

So, I thought I'd try Iron HEDTA (in the brand name of Iron-X, though I understand there are other brands, too).

Of course, it might be too early to know for sure if the plants are DEAD DEAD DEAD to the point that they won't re-sprout, but I'd like to say that initial results look promising. I sprayed a bunch of the plants yesterday, and all look at least unhealthy, while some are completely black and shriveled.

I suspect I made an error, in that I mowed and then sprayed...I suspect that having more leaves available to soak up the iron would have done more damage, and I suspect that new growth (which I'd just mowed off) is also more susceptible. I'll keep an eye on it and plan on spraying prior to mowing in the future.

Nonetheless, I'm feeling hopeful that I might have found a way to do in this horrible vining stuff. I'd love to hear if anyone else has tried anything similar, and if you have any tips.

The Iron HEDTA is doing pretty well on a lot of other lawn weeds, excepting crab grass, though I'll admit that once the swallow-wort poked up its head, all other lawn weeds seemed to pale in comparison. If I can eradicate the swallow-wort, I'll return my attention to those.

Comments (5)