Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_99

Information - 2010 CT Spring Swap & Meet, Greet, Eat

cloud_9
13 years ago

Please donÂt post to this thread so it can (hopefully) stay at the top.

On Sunday, May 16th at 11:00AM will be the CT swap at Great Hollow Lake at Wolfe Park in Monroe, CT. All are welcome.

If you are a new gardener or experienced with new gardens and little or nothing to swap, come and join the fun anyway and we will send you home with plants. You donÂt have to feel "funny" about it. Gardeners love to share and you can pass it along in the future! You can also come for the conversation and to match faces with screen names. (We will still send you home with plants) If you are a lurker we would love to meet you!

If you would like to join in the food, bring along a dish to share. Check the linked swap thread to get an idea of what others are bringing.

For those who have never been to one of our swaps before, they are casual and unstructured. There is no need to swap one for one unless you want to. Generally we just put the plants we have brought out on tables and people pick what they want. Some swaps are arranged ahead of time (follow the link below). This is not necessary, but if you post what you are looking for, you have a greater chance of getting it.

Please TRY to remember to label your plants. People are hesitant to take plants that canÂt be identified. Pre-arranged swaps should have peopleÂs names on them. Please be mindful of the nametags. i.e. donÂt take something that says DeeÂs white lilac if you are not Dee. :-)

If you want to Online Map or GPS (etc.) directions, use 454 Purdy Hill Rd. as your destination.

Here are DIRECTIONS from the Merritt Parkway:

From the Merritt Parkway (Rt. 15) N or S take exit 49 which is Rt. 25. Follow 25 until the divided highway part of it ends at a traffic light. Continue along 25 a little more than a mile and come to another light. Turn right onto Old Newtown Rd. Turn right shortly onto Purdy Hill Rd. You will pass BenedictÂs Agway on the left. The entrance to Great Hollow Lake at Wolfe Park is just past BenedictÂs on the left. The driveway to the lake is long. Go through all the parking lots to the far side. That is where the picnic grove is. I will try to put up signs.

Hope to see you there!

Here is a link that might be useful: swap thread

Comments (9)

• cloud_9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The sun has set on a wonderful swap with garden friends. It is now time for this thread to sink below the horizon...

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

Not yet ! A lot of us will be signing on to thank one and all for a super day. . .
    I keep trying to figure out just WHY I enjoy these brief gatherings so much -
    the best I can come up with is that, twice a year, it makes REAL something that
    might otherwise just be a cyber-fantasy. Oh, well, that makes sense to me, but
    probably no one else. . .those seniors in New Joisey, you know, are a bit flakey !

Carl

• cat_delgado
    13 years ago

I have to thank you all for such a wonderful time, it was really great not only to put faces with the screen names, but the socializing, food and free advice was just so great! And of course so were all the FREE plants I came home with!! The funny thing is I went with the intent on bringing home a few plants and after planting everything I got, I have too many plants and will have to give some of my own away to make room for the new ones!! LOL and I LOVE the giant dicentra spectabilis that I got who ever contributed that monster THANK YOU!!! It's the crowning glory in my shady front yard!! I know it's early but I can't wait for the fall swap!!

• denal
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the fabulous and interesting plants. One of the great things about these swaps, besides seeing old friends and making new ones, is the chance to try new plants, with nothing to lose, except maybe some more lawn! :)

Glad WildBill and I could make it!

Hope to see you in the Fall- or maybe sooner.

• noticklish
    13 years ago

Could not have asked for better weather for the swap. Does someone have the recipe for the tortilla roll-ups? The kids were so eager to get to the beach there that I did not get to ask! Turns out the water was like ice so they were most interested in sliding down the giant sand pile.

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

This thread WANTS to live! :)

I brought the tortilla rollups. They couldn't be easier (though they are better with a spicier and less "chunky" sauce; I tried a new salsa and it was both too mild and too chunky for the recipe). Here's the recipe (not kidding when I say it's easy -- the key is to plan ahead because they really do need at least 24 hours to chill, preferably a couple of days) ...

TORTILLA ROLLUPS

6-8 large flour tortillas
    1 large tub soft cream cheese
    One 4 oz. can diced green chilies
    One 4 oz. can chopped black olives
    2 tb. chopped green onions

Mix all ingredients and spread on tortillas (don't spread right up to edge). Roll neatly and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several days. Slice and serve with salsa or picquante sauce.

-----------------------------

Today's rain is perfect for all my new additions -- thanks again to everyone!

• Linda Ricketts
    13 years ago

I want to thank everyone we met at the swap for your hospitality. I'm still trying to fill my gardens and all the plants you so generously shared are amazing! I'm really tickled to be part of this forum.

Linda

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

In case some of you didn't notice this earlier post from Abi (which has now dropped way down in the list -- this forum gets SO busy come spring!), here are photos from the CT swap!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos from swap

• ctlady_gw
    13 years ago

In case some of you didn't notice this earlier post from Abi (which has now dropped way down in the list -- this forum gets SO busy come spring!), here are photos from the CT swap!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos from swap