Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipscarolan_gw

Asarum Europaeum/Ginger

tulipscarolan
13 years ago

Hi there!

There are two purposes to this post. First, I want to let everyone know how easy it is to propagate European Ginger, and second, I have a question.

When I first bought ginger from White Flower Farm, I received a tiny two-leafed plantling, all for $12.95 plus shipping. When I see it in nurseries, it is always on the expensive side (although less than WFF). I truly don't understand why it is expensive, as it is very easy to propagate through division. My first tiny plant grew very healthy, and each year I have divided it over & over again. I now have batches everywhere --if I could sell it for $12.95 per tiny division, we could retire and live off the proceeds! It doesn't travel, just forming beautiful clumps, but in the spring, dig it up and separate little sections and replant. See below--3 years of photos in a row. Anyway, I encourage anyone who has this and wants more to just divide it.

My question is this: I have seen some seedlings sprout up around my plants. When they survive, they seem to grow teensy little miniature leaves. See the bottom picture. Will these be normal sized leaves next year, or remain miniature? It's just funny because when you divide, the leaves are all full sized, so I've never seen these itty bitty leaves. Cute.

I also included a picture from my parterre garden. I edged the 4 quadrants in divisions of ginger. I haven't yet planted out my annuals that go behind the ginger, but just wanted to show how many plants I've gotten, all from 2 tiny original leaves. I have about 50 more clumps elsewhere. It's my favorite plant!

Comments (3)