Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayc_cactus

Ct cactus garden off to early start.

rayc-cactus
13 years ago

With the first warm spell we had a lot of the plants started getting buds early (slowed down when cooler). Past couple days a few of them have really taken off (even though its early).

Also have been thinking about slug control and tilted a few large rocks up against the raised beds leaving large openings for thing to get in and out. I think it may be working as I found this when looking for slugs today,,,,,,,,

There was actually two, but the other was camera shy ;)

Comments (6)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Ah, you have a nicely landscaped snake garden.... sure doesn't look like CT though.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Wait a minute... are you serious? Do slugs really bother cacti? And they have to slime over all those rocks to do it?

Gee, that doesn't leave much hope for slug control around hostas, does it, lol?

I've found some similar looking fellows in my garden at times - much to my surprise - and theirs, lol! I honestly don't like finding those snakes, although after my vole problem started I didn't mind so much. Now, though, when I find a snake, instead of jumping back in surprise, I yell at it and tell it that it's not doing a very good job with the voles and to get to work!

Thanks for sharing your cactus garden! Cool!
    :)
    Dee

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Nice start on the season! And you have a helper.

Have you grown any of the hardy living stones (Aloinopsis, Nanathus, Rabia etc.?)

My Opuntia humifusa is off and running. Just got O. phaeacantha - orange type, O. englemanii var. sanguinicola, O. cyclodes and Corypantha vivpara. Also got some more sempervivums, sedums and a Lewisia. I also have some nicely established ice plants (Delosperma). I plan on creating a cactus and succulent rock garden centered around my thirteen-year-old Yucca recurvifolia. But I am having some stone work done soon (new stairs and walls) so it will have to wait a little longer.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Very nice cactus garden! I will look forward to more photos when they start blooming. You too, Bill. :-) Not so fond of the snake though? I suppose they are attracted to rock gardens because of the heat.

• rayc-cactus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bill, no I haven't tried the living stones. I did have a Delosperma but it appears to have croaked over the winter. Did you obtain the vivpara locally? I heard some places used to sell them but never found any last year close by.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

I bought the C. vivipara at the Farmer's Daughter in Wakefield, RI. They had quite a few, and also some Opuntias. Also had a great selection of sempervivums that were the healthiest plants I've ever seen for sale! Same goes for a lot of sedums and lewisia, as well as many rock and alpine plants.

They also have a fantastic collection of other plants, virtually everything and all healthy and well labeled. Add to that lots of garden items (pots and so much more) and some great display areas, and this is now my favorite nursery, hands down.