Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedum37

Lyman Estates Heirloom Plant Sale (Fri 6/1 - Sun 6/3)

sedum37
16 years ago

Here some info on the sale at the Lyman Estates Greenhouse in Waltham MA this Fri, Sat and Sunday. Hey an excuse to see the Greenhouses too!

Heirloom and Vintage Perennial Sale - Lyman Estate

Friday, June 01, 2007 - Sunday, June 03, 2007

This sale offers thousands of perennial plants with an emphasis on old time favorites and hard-to-find vintage and heirloom varieties.

Let our gardening experts help you choose the right plants for your garden, whether in sun or shade, downpour or drought.

Lyman Estate Greenhouses

185 Lyman Street

Waltham , MA 02452

Sponsor: Historic New England

Time(s): 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Cost: Free admission

Phone: 781-891-4882, ext. 244

info@historicnewengland.org

http://www.historicnewengland.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyman Estate Web Link (Bostongardens.com)

Comments (9)

• sedum37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went to the heirloom perennial plant sale held at the Lyman Estate in Waltham, Massachusetts today. In addition to buying some neat herbs and perennials, I was pleasantly surprised to see the gardens in wonderful bloom full of peonies, siberian irises, bearded irises, rhododendrens, columbines, etc. One thing I was amazed at how large the peonies were and how hidden the support systems were. I couldn't detect any hoops, stakes, etc. holding the peonies upright. Truly amazing!

To see the Lyman Estate Gardens, exit out the front of the greenhouse. You will see the expansive lawn and back of the Lyman Estate. To the left you can follow the crushed stone path that runs along the back of the estate where the tall brick wall makes a beautiful back drop to the perennial border. The perennial border seems to go on for awhile. You will notice how they successively repeat plantings and draw you further down the path. Nice garden plantings!

Of course couldn't leave without some photos, see link below....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyman Estate Perennial Border Photos

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful photos, Sue. Looks like you hit it at peak bloom. I've been to the Lyman Estate many times but never knew this border was there. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question. How was the selection of perennials for sale? Were there any unusual plants? or heirloom plants? I notice that some public gardens are "importing" regular nursery material for their sales these days so there's no difference from Mahoney's or anywhere else.

• joy_blackthumb
    16 years ago

Maybe I got there late, but I didn't see too many unusual things, much less heirloom plants. I was a bit annoyed that they wanted 3.99 for 4" herbs that cost 2.99 over at Home Depot.

Ditto on the photos. Thanks Sue!

Go into the Greenhouse while you are there, take a look at the Grape arbors. Neato!

• sedum37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny, there was much more unusual stuff the previous week at Gore Place Plant sale. In both sales they did import plants from outside growers. Gore Place definitely had the better prices than Lyman Estates but Lyman Estates had a discount for members so may be this was why the prices were higher. The Gore Plant sale had a list of the plants on their website they offered at the sale so this was a nice feature to see if there was anything you wanted.

To give you an idea, here is what I got at Gore Place:

Albutilon 'melon sorbet'
    Sage 'Pineapple'
    Begonia 'Baby Wing Pink'
    Begonia hiemalis 'Solenia'
    Begonia tuberhybrida 'Illumination Apricot'
    Coleus saber
    Cuphea ignea 'Firecracker plant'
    Ipomea batatas (light green shade of potato vine)
    Dahlia Variabilis 'Redskin'
    Craspedia globosa 'Drumstick'
    And 2 other plants.

All for $40. The plants were all healthy and most in 3 or 4" round pots.

At the Lyman Estates I bought a Stars and Strips Penta, an unusual heuchera (1 Gallon) and a mint herb for $18. I was happy with these prices since I had been looking for that variety of Penta and haven't seen any of these except through mail order.

In both cases the plant sales support the non profit causes that I am happy to support and the plants I got were healthy and well cared for.

Sue

• sedum37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops I forgot... Ginny and Joy thanks for looking at my photos!

Yes Joy the grape arbors were neat to see but on Friday the green houses were very hot to tour but I went in Feb and they were very interesting. Joy I do think if you went today you may have not had the best plant selection. When I was there on Friday a lady came in to the Lyman sale and bought all of one kind of plant completely selling them out of this one thing. So later in the sale may be some of the choice things were sold out.

One thing I thought was strange was that the people at the Lyman Estates sale didn't mention to take a look at the gardens on your way out. There was no sign or anything directing you there. I would think most people would have missed these beautiful gardens.

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

Great photos, Sue, thanks. I still haven't been there, but it's on my list of things to do. It really looks wonderful. Don't you think you get so much more out of visiting a garden than you do just looking at then in books?

• sedum37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi DTD,
    Thanks for looking! Definitely agree seeing gardens in person is the way to go. Whoever designed the gardens at the Lyman Estates did a nice job of repeating the design and also the size and width of the border was impressive.

DTD since you are in Cape Cod it would be a drive to go there so definitely come when something is in bloom to avoid disappointment for the long ride.

Sue

• judyefd
    16 years ago

Sue, thanks for sharing your beautiful photos!

I used to live around the corner from the Lyman Estate, and have enjoyed visiting the grounds many times...but I don't think I've ever been there during such an incredible peak bloom! Just gorgeous! I've got to get back over there soon...and hope this rain isn't knocking too much over.

Judye

• debrapaula
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great information about the sale. Do you still want more plants? Are you looking for gorgeous native plants? Select from thousands of plants like ladyslippers, blue eyed grass, cardinal flowers, fringe trees, native smoke trees, and hundreds more perennials, shrubs, vines, ferns, and more on June 9 at the New England Wild Flower Society Plant Sale at Garden in the Woods from 10-3. The sale is FREE and the Garden walks afterwards are general admission-$7 adults. The holding area will watch your special purchases while you walk and enjoy the ART GOES WILD exhibit. Society experts like Bill Cullina are on hand to answer plant questions and help with the choice. All purchases support plant conservation, and if you become a member of the Society you also get 10% off purchases. See you there!

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Wild Flower Society website