Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

What is Blooming in Your Garden - June 2011 - Photos Part 1

pixie_lou
12 years ago

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is blooming in your garden. This is the first thread for June 2011.

During the heavily blooming summer months, I will post multiple threads each month. When we hit about 50 posts, I will try to start a new thread. The number of threads per month will depend on how many people post photos.

To view previous months

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

Comments (47)

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Yay June!

iris and salvia
    {{gwi:688825}}

peonies
    {{gwi:688827}}

dianthus and salvia
    {{gwi:688829}}

blushing knockout and iceberg roses
    {{gwi:688830}}

love that path
    {{gwi:688823}}

spiderwort
    {{gwi:688832}}

• Moz Tn
    12 years ago

irises

and peony (just one flower, planted this one last fall as bare root, so I am counting this as success :) )

And these are not blooming, but they are not mobile either .. heard some angry bird when I was pruning the yew and noticed the nest .. Last year the robins had their nest in the juniper, which I noticed when I was pruning it.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

The bed right in back of the house. Aruncus, peony Festiva Maxima, and rose Frontenac

The same bed from the other side. Dianthus and white siberian iris in front. Rose Quadra in the back.

Rose Stanwell Perpetual in with geraniums and siberian iris

Siberian iris 'Shall We Dance'.

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Woo New England -- we're finally getting lush!

That robin's egg pic is my favorite of the bunch so far... now, what flowers can I grow that will turn out that color?? ;)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Peonies just getting started, bleeding heart on its way out, columbine & globe flower along with lupine & Siberian iris just hitting their stride...

{{gwi:385272}}

{{gwi:212041}}

{{gwi:385275}}

{{gwi:385276}}

{{gwi:199160}}

{{gwi:230476}}

{{gwi:385280}}

{{gwi:200603}}

{{gwi:235919}}

{{gwi:385281}}

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The blue flags and white flags down by the pond are starting to bloom.

{{gwi:359023}}

{{gwi:359022}}

A beautiful peonie, who happens to be the wrong color in the wrong location. Though I will be nice and wait until the fall to give it the shovel.

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, everyone!

I've got to get my camera out.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Pretty flowers everybody! Tinkrer, if you can, I would refrain from pruning or disturbing the Yew while the Robin is nesting. This can make the nest vulnerable to predators; also any disturbance of the shrub/tree can cause older nestlings to jump out of the nest (fledge) prematurely.

Here's a couple bloomers. These were take before the storm the other night, and they look a little beaten up after that. My Miss Kim Lilac has outdone herself this year! I planted her 6 years ago, and this is by far her most floriferous year.

Iris 'Pinnacle' an heirloom Iris, that is growing great along the sidewalk.

• deenoel
    12 years ago

Love the photos, thanks for sharing!

Question about peonies -- mine flop over immediately after they open. How do I keep them upright? Is staking the only way to go?

Weigela my grandfather gave me (yes, he STILL gardens) grown from a cutting which is now blooming for the first time

one of the former owners of my house evidently loved the color purple, found these on the north side of the house and got them to bloom by moving them to a bit of sun

more purple, this one tradescantia

Nepeta 'walker's low'

Columbine 'Songbird Cardinal' because I needed a little red to play off the red mudroom door. Climbing hydrangea on the trellis in the background.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

terrene - that lilac is absolutely gorgeous!

deenoel - My husband cut my tomato cages into 3 individual loops, which I then spray painted dark green. I place those around my peonies and it helps a lot. But even then, if we have a heavy rain, the blossoms get so heavy and still flop over.

I'm so jealoous of all those columbine. I have 4 different varieties, for a total of 10 plants in 2 separate garden beds. Lots of lush foliage, but nary a bloom on any of them. What gives?

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Irises!

I. Beverly Sills in front of a rug of cotoneaster hanging over a wall:

And one peony. Iris Wabash (I think) and P. Silver Dawn Mix behind the iris. The irises were inherited and are foolproof.

Siberian irises, also inherited - they keep seeding around. Luckily I love them so I don't mind them everywhere.

Not in my garden, but just up the street are these rhododendron mountains. They're blooming all over the neighborhood now. I think they're Rhododendron Roseum.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Pixie lou, that peony is awfully nice, I hope you're planning to transplant it and not shovel prune it. I also have one that is in the wrong place at the wrong time (:

From Spring2011

however I think this unusual spring (Juneuary, we're calling it) meant that unusual flower combinations occurred this year - plants are flowering at different times this year than normal.

Also above are Walkers Low nepeta and a poppy - whose name I've forgotten (but I love the color).

This is my latest-blooming tree peony, which overlaps with the herbaceous peonies:

From Spring2011

Clematis Montana is still going strong:

From Spring2011

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

I meant to say that the top pic shows the offending pink peony in a sea of peachy-colored poppies. I don't think they normally bloom at the same time, because the color has never bothered me before. (Clicking on the small photos takes you to a bigger version on Picasa Web).

• terrene
    12 years ago

Deenole, that red Songbird Columbine does look nice with your door! The Songbird series looks a lot like the Origami Columbine I'm starting from seed.

DTD those poppies look nice along with the blue stuff - is that Russian sage? I need something like that that has a little more umph than Nepeta 'Walker's Low' which is nice but hardly thriving in my xeric garden.

Claire, those rhododendrons are fabulous, but it looks like there's some kind of invasive vine taking over them?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

What a beautiful color those robin eggs are. Nice shot!

mad gallica, love your roses, that Quadra is huge.

Pretty peonies, gardenweed and pixie lou and white dicentra, one of my favorites.

Your 'Miss Kim' is just covered with blossoms, terrene.

deenoel, that is a very pretty weigela, do you know what variety it is? I have a 'Midnight Wine' that looks similar. Wonderful that your grandfather still gardens! The iris and Rhododendron are so pretty.

claire, I love your neighbor's rhododendrons. I'd love to drive by those every day.

dtd, could your pretty poppy be 'Princess Victoria Louise' or 'Coral Reef'?
    I planted a clematis montana 'Mayleen' and has yet to bloom. I think it is too cold here. So I am enjoying seeing yours!

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Terrene, that's Walkers Low. It doesn't get watered, but the soil's pretty rich there. I think I'm going to have to divide them this year, though, they're starting to flop already. For me, Russian Sage blooms much later, too late to set off poppies. How about a campanula - maybe peach-leaf bellflower? That's just starting, and I can't remember if it's always in sync with the poppies, or usually later. It's really drought-tolerant, too, although maybe not more than nepeta...

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

diggingthedirt - my mom has genereously offered to take that wrong colored peonie off my hands. Now if she would just buy me a white one in return!

Speaking of peonies - I finally have white ones open.

My white garden is looking lovely with white siberian iris.

My heliotrope is a bit small this year (and I lost my 2nds heliotrope plant). It's next to the ornithogalum magnum - which I have decided is an ugly plant and will be relocated soon.

Clematis Miss Bateman is still putting on a show.

A lone day lilly has bloomed. The rest of my day lillies are just starting to bud - not sure why this one was so anxious to bloom!

Still have blooms on the dicentra and cordyalis down in the shade garden.

Field Daisies - not sure where they came from, but I'm very happy to have them

And lastly - a Gerbera Daisy. I let my daughter pick out this this "tender annual" back in 2009 to go in a patio planter. I rip out the foliage and leave the planter in the unheated garage all winter, and amazingly, these gerebera daisies have come back for the 3rd year in a row. If I had known they would keep coming back, I would have put more effort into picking colors I like!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Irises are my favorite flower. I think I'm most excited about our garage addition because I plan on making a larger iris bed after the construction. They are in full bloom right now!

12 years ago

Like pixie_lou I also have a very early daylily (H. flava?) that's just opening in two different spots in my yard. This is an inherited daylily that I dug out from under an overgrown forsythia. I planted it in the first location, but I'm not sure how it got into the second location with the irises (I'm not complaining). It may have traveled with a clump of Siberian irises I transplanted.

Prunus serotina, AKA wild cherry, black cherry, rum cherry is blooming everywhere. What's that you say? This isn't a plant in a garden! Well then, obviously you've never gardened near a bunch of wild cherries. They seed all over the place and I keep digging them out of the garden. Inevitably I miss a few (or twenty) and suddenly there's a little tree smiling at me amid the roses. or peonies. or whatever. I just saw a cardinal checking out this tree to see if the fruit are ripe yet. Whoopee. My mother used to make jelly out of them.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

claire - that day lilly looks gorgeous in amongst the siberian irises.

12 years ago

I was shocked and delighted yesterday when I saw that daylily by the irises. There's also a doublefile viburnum blooming next to it so the yellow and purple and white are great.

I had just closed down the computer when I glanced up and saw a spot of orange on the cherry. Grabbed the camera and shot this butterfly:

Looked in my butterfly guide and maybe it's a crescent butterfly or a checkerspot. I'm pretty ignorant about butterflies but I guess I have a whole lot of butterfly magnets blooming around me.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Love that butterfly - now I feel bad about all the wild cherries I just cut down...

Foxglove is really going wild! Here it is with Nepeta Six Hills Giant:

From Spring2011

and with a volunteer Kousa:

From Spring2011

Rodgersai with Six Hills Giant:

From Spring2011

Clematis scrambling along the bottom of the fence it was intended to climb:

From Spring2011

Here is a link that might be useful: My spring 2011 album

12 years ago

I particularly enjoy seeing pictures of DTD's garden. She gardens in a similar climate with a similar timing of bloom, and shows what maybe I can achieve some day.

My Zepherine Drouhin roses are starting to bloom now. I have these in three different locations climbing up on the deck and porch (97% thornless with nice fragrance so they're good near railings).

Peony Festiva Maxima got slapped by the rains but I could prop them up and they're still beautiful. I like them with roses and grasses.

More R. Zepherine Drouhin behind the peonies.

I also have foxgloves although mine like to surprise me. They seem to self seed near compatible colors.

I'm sure some of you know what this unassuming little perennial is. I bought it at a good nursery without a tag and thought I knew what it was. I was wrong. It starts blooming early and keeps going all season without deadheading. ID?

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Wow, Claire, those roses (and peonies, etc) are really stunning. Does ZD bloom for a fairly long period of time, or is it one of those that just does a super spring show? I'm asking because I've wanted that rose for years, and never found a spot for it, but also because I have a foundling (left here by a previous owner, and never even seen until a couple of years ago) that looks very similar, has almost no thorns, and smells divine. It's bloom period is painfully short, otherwise it'd be the Ideal Rose.

You should come visit sometime, you might not really want your garden to be anything like mine! Thanks for the compliment, anyway - you made my day.

12 years ago

DTD: Zepherine Drouhin is a mostly spring wonder, although the older vines will sporadically send out blossoms all season. Just a few here and there to give unexpected pleasure. I just checked my files and I have a photo of a blossom looking lovely on November 12, 2008. I do get blackspot on the vines by the porch - probably a part shade/air circulation issue. I cut out a lot of deadwood this spring so I'll see if that helps.

At the end of winter/beginning of spring when nothing's blooming here, you always post that you have witchhazels and dawn viburnum and winter jasmine and who knows what else blooming. I always marvel that you have really managed to eke out something lovely at the extremes of the growing season. As you know, late winter/early spring can be really dismal here by the coast. I salute you for that. Roses and peonies are easy.

Claire

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rain over the weekend seeemed to knock many blossoms off my plants. But others have survived.

Digitalis and perennial geranium. I just transplanted the digitalis this year - even though it is small, I'm happy it bloomed!

Campanula and Salvia being crowded out by the Irises.

The coreopsis by my mailbox is looking bright and pretty. I had to tie it up since it got all floppy in the rain. I should probably loosen the string - it looks awfully rigid!

And lastly, the white flags down by the pond. It seems like the blue flags bloomed for about a week. But the white flags are putting on a long show. Wish I had more white flags down there.

{{gwi:359024}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

First year vines giving a hint of things to come....

Honeysuckle 'Mandarin Orange', just moved out of the shade where it never bloomed. Hoping it will fill out more next year

Lamium 'Purple Dragon' that is lighting up a dark corner and the color in the photo looks pink, but it is a real purple.

A David Austin rose, 'Golden Celebration' just starting to open blooms.

First year bloom on a Clematis that is supposed to be Ville de Lyon, but the color doesn't look right to me....

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Pixie lou, most digitalis are biennials, and only bloom one year. It's good to transplant them early in the first year, if you're going to, but this one may have been a 2nd year plant this spring, in which case you may not see it again. They do tend to be smaller when they're moved the 2nd spring, at least that's how they behave in my garden.

PM2, that's a beautiful rose - what is the interesting plant with the small orange and red flowers next to it (in the same photo) ?

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

diggingthedirt - when I transplanted the digitalis - I tried to take both first year and second year plants. With the hopes that the 2nd year plants would still bloom this year, and then they would self seed and I will have digitalis forever. I have 3 blooming now - small blooms. But enough to make seeds.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone!

My fringe tree is finally putting on a little bit of a show this year. I purposely planted it between a red japanese maple and a sincalycalycanthus 'Hartlage Wine' so the burgundy and whites play off one another. Too bad when I planned this I forgot the little detail that the septic tank is RIGHT next to where I planted the fringe tree. Uh Oh! Well, hopefully it will be many years before there may be a problem. For now I'll just enjoy it. Didn't realize it has such a sweet smell.
    {{gwi:275119}}

I would never be without Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko' in the garden.

{{gwi:682216}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

DTD, that small plant is a volunteer from Penstemon 'Iron Maiden' in the other end of the bed. I moved my penstemon around this year and it is shorter and later because of that. Last year, it was much taller and bright orange. It usually blooms with Nepeta Walker's Low and the yellow rose with the Penstemon is a combination I don't enjoy. I'm still working that out. Orange is not easy to use in the garden. I was expecting more red than orange when I started them from seed. I keep it because it is known to attract hummingbirds, it's very easy going, and I cut it back to basal foliage later in the season. Here is what it should look like, from last year's garden....

• rayc-cactus
    12 years ago

Cactus
    {{gwi:1073941}}

{{gwi:1073942}}

{{gwi:1073943}}

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are spectacular, rayc-cactus.

• lschibley
    12 years ago

Finally got my camera working so am going to try to post some pictures. Wish me luck!

Mt. Laurel I think Carousel, though am not certain on the cultivar

From 2011-06-18 (by Eye-Fi)

Iris and Fringe Tree (Mt. Laurel is in the background)

Campanula, Veronica, and Daisies with Purple-leaf Sand-cherry in the background

Penstemon, Artemisia, and Thyme

Start of a raised foliage garden. This wall faces north-west and gets too hot in the afternoon for some of the foliage plants I envisioned here. Might have to rethink the whole space.

Annual pots by the front door

• lschibley
    12 years ago

One more! Up close of the pots.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This thread is now closed.

Here is a link that might be useful: June Part 2 Thread is here

• ILoveLily
    12 years ago

hi everyone , i am new to this website but so happy to be with gardening friends :) im here in vermont , here's some photos of whats in bloom for me ..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ILoveLily
    12 years ago

beautiful

• ILoveLily
    12 years ago

taking over my garden , but beautiful

• SwampCatNana
    12 years ago

Is there anyone from the New England area who is planting veggies?
    I starting up gardening again and would like some input. I will be getting a community garden plot either later in the season or next summer.
    Lee

• ILoveLily
    11 years ago

clematis

• ILoveLily
    11 years ago

• ILoveLily
    11 years ago

• ILoveLily
    11 years ago

• Jane Doe
    8 years ago

There is a picture of a blue clematis on here that says "my husbands clematis". I am searching like crazy to find this plant. I had this and loved it. It got pulled out by someone accidentally. Not happy! Does anyone know the name of it?????? Please and thank you!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

It looks like HF Young, but there are a bunch of clematis that have similar color and bloom time that it could be, including Fujimusume, Silmakivi, Lasurstern, Zara, Cezanne, and Diana's Delight.

There are also some with similar color that bloom a bit later, including Prince Charles.