Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Momma Possum and Babies

Posted by Tina_n_Sam CT-Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:15

Yesterday I posted a little blurb about an injured momma possum and her babies under CT Swap Part II. I did not see her today. However, the dollop of yogurt I left for her was gone. I am hoping she ate it and not the neighborhood cat, skunk, or raccoon.

Sad to say that the wildlife rehabilatators never returned my voicemails nor email.

I once again reached out to the Ansonia Nature Center for help. I was told to continue giving her the yogurt and included chopped boiled egg and water. Also, if she dies, then, collect her babies and the center will take them. Otherwise, she is on her own.

If the food I leave out tonight doesn't get eaten, I will look through the wooded area behind my yard. This will at least give her babies a chance.

-Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Momma Possum and Babies

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:34

That's upsetting, Tina, that the wildlife rehabilitators didn't return your calls and emails. I could see them saying they couldn't take the possums and tell you why, but to ignore your contact is unprofessional (and unkind). At least the Ansonia Nature Center is responsive and will take the babies. I suppose it would make a good educational exhibit for visitors.

Good luck.

Claire

o

So sad - I love possums. I've read that they are excellent neighbors, in that they don't really do any damage to anything and don't carry any communicable diseases. Good luck with her, I hope she recovers.

o

I'm also surprised that you received no response from wildlife rehabilitators. I should think this kind of situation, an injured mother and her babies, would be the typical kind of call they get.

I did some online checking about what to do when a baby possum is found. The first thing you did --- contact a wildlife rehabilitator --- is exactly what was suggested because it's difficult to provide for the kind of environmental and bodily functions conditions that they need. Here's the link. Good luck.

Molie

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do if you find orphaned possums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here