Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Ken Druse Real Dirt

runktrun
17 years ago

For Ken Druse fans and those who still donÂt have their fill of gardening chit chat after visiting this forum you might enjoy listening to Ken Druse and Vickie Johnson once a week on Sirius Radio or if like me you donÂt subscribe you can catch their show for free podcasted from their web site. I just listened to their show on MonroviaÂs new introductions while I did dishes. I would be curious to know what you think. kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Druse Real Dirt

Comments (3)

• mayalena
    17 years ago

Hi KT.
    I was so excited and curious when I saw your post, so I popped over to the site and listened -- but I couldn't tell you what the show was about. KD was moaning about his garden after the storm, and Vicki talked briefly about some daffodils on Nantucket. But mostly, it seemed like I was overhearing a private conversation between 2 people -- one of whom has smoked too much pot. Very little content, I thought. Not a great learning resource. I will probably try another podcast, in hopes of more info. I was also surprised by the Wayside Gardens affiliation. A source for rare plants? Huh?
    What did you think?

• runktrun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mayalena,
    I participated in a Ken Druse work shop and thought he was brilliant as well as a good lecturer, I love his books as well as his photography...if only I had his vision. That said my reaction to his radio show was identical to yours, I couldn't believe it the show seemed to be the worst example of the new annoying trend of the friendship (genuine or not) of hosts take president to all else (The Today Show is a good example of this trend). These two individuals have sooo much combined horticulture knowledge that the potential for something great is apparent but I found their stilted attempts at being lite and funny annoying. It is almost as if Sirus requested they do no pre show prep work!! In Ken Druse's defense he did speak frankly on one of the shows about the extreme lack of quality plants coming from Wayside, the current change in leadership, his surprise when he received a good sized plant in good shape, but Wayside had a long way to go to convince the buying public that things had turned around. To sum up I hope they are able to turn this show around and if it is still on the air six months from now I would be willing to give it a try again. kt

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

I think I admire Ken Druse enough that I'd enjoy listening to him brush his teeth.

Now that my old clunker of a PC at home has *finally* crashed, and I'm moving to something with a sound card that will actually talk to the speakers, I'll have to check out the site.

This might also be a good time to admit that I've got a lot of old plants from Wayside. Although I lost a lot of plants and wasted a lot of money way back when I was ordering from them, they were, at one point, just about the only place to mail order anything interesting and out of the ordinary. Maybe their sponsorship of the Druse show indicates ... something good?