Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

My tomatoes are in! Yours?

carol6ma_7ari
10 years ago

May 1 is the usual date I aim for, to get the tomato plants into the ground. This year I was 2 days late, but they (30 of them, 4 varieties) are now in, fertilized, mulched. Tomorrow I make them cutworm protectors out of little paper cups. Are yours in?

Carol

Comments (12)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Nope - at least another 2 or 3 weeks for mine. We are still getting night-time frosts.

• girlcat36
    10 years ago

I'm still shuffling mine inside at night. It just seems so cold at night right now.....I'm going to wait another week.

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Ooh, goodness no, lol. I don't usually put my tomatoes in till almost June. They ARE outside, but still small and cozy in their milk jugs (I winter-sow mine).

One year I did put them out a bit earlier than usual (for me) in about mid-May, and I used the tops of soda botles with the caps off for cloches. Worked quite well.

But now my garlic is where my tomatoes go. The last few years I have grown an early-harvest garlic (harvested in late May/earlyJune) so I don't have much choice but to wait anyway. :)

Dee

• tree_oracle
    10 years ago

I've tried the tomatoes in early May experiment several times and got burned every time. Either frost kills them or the cold air/soil stunts their growth. Planting warm weather crops around Memorial Day is the way to go at least along the coast where I live.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I haven't gotten mine in but plan to next week. I've put plants out in May lots of times, but I always use Wall of Waters around them until it gets hot. That has worked out fine for me.

• defrost49
    10 years ago

Still too cold at night for us, same zone as nhbabs. We have a nigh tunnel that I had hoped would help with early tomatoes but I'm still learning the knack of growing in it. Have the door open and one side rolled up because I have sugar snap peas planted inside plus over-wintered spinach and beets and newly seeded cold hardy plants. It still gets extremely warm during the day but down to 30 inside at night, just as cold as outside. I can't experiment this year because I'm leaving my husband to garden sit while I'm away for almost 2 weeks but am tempted with one overgrown tomato seedling that fell over yesterday. Still needs to be hardened off, though.

It seems to be an extra cold spring.

• cris
    10 years ago

Not mine...I wait until evening temps are consistently 55 degrees to put out my tomatoes and basil.

I have planted tomatoes early and they always get beat up with cool temps and they never seem to be further ahead because I get them in earlier.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Still haven't put my warm weather veggie plants in and happy that I didn't. By the time I do, I may not need wall of waters. Every time I hear a forecast for low temps at night, I hold off a few more days, turning into weeks now. I'm hoping to plant out after this latest cold front moves through without using wall of waters. Maybe.

• siennact
    10 years ago

I haven't put any annuals or vegetables in either, mostly just due to lack of time, but after seeing the forecast for tonight and tomorrow night I am glad!

With tomatoes I have always felt like it didn't matter when I put them in because until it warms up they don't do much. I often buy a single, larger plant and put it alongside tiny volunteers and they end up the same size by August.

• aloha10
    10 years ago

No sensible gardener in New England puts their tomatoes in before Memorial Day weekend. Peppers do well a week or so later. This is my 68 th year of planting tomatoes and other warm wx crops.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I planted my tomato and pepper plants last weekend. I looked at the weather for this week and since it was supposed to be rainy and not get below 50 at night, it seemed a good time to plant. I also planted my potatoes (quite a bit later than usual.)

I still haven't planted my squash and other really warm weather crops that I grow from seed.

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Roberta Clark of the CC County Extension is putting her tomatoes in this week, a bit early, also because of the weather forecast.

I don't grow tomatoes, but the basil I put in early - around the time Carol planted her tomatoes - is not doing very well. I bought replacement plants (it was only a six-pack) and I'll see if they do better than the originals. It won't be a very scientific test, but they'll be in the same raised bed, replacing some arugula that's going by.