Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Has anyone seen any really nice hanging plants around?

I don't usually buy hangers but think I'll try one this year. Since so many of you get around to local nurseries in Eastern Mass, I thought I'd ask if you saw anything special at any of them.

Comments (22)

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Claire,

I haven't really been looking for hangers. But I think most places would make up something nice for you if you didn't see what you wanted.

Bill

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a thought, Bill. Thanks, I'll ask. I'm not even sure what I want, I guess. I saw a photo in an ad at one of our local nurseries that I really liked and my husband went to get one and they said that photo was 3 years old, so they had 'similar'. I didn't realize they did that. I'm sure as soon as I get to a nursery, I'll see something I like.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Back from the nursery already. There was no one there, I wonder why. [g] I was so surprised at how awful their hangers were, when the photo was so gorgeous. I was going home without one, when I spotted something I wanted better. A standard Hibiscus plant. I've been going to start one and train it myself, but the price was right and it was better than a hanger. :-)

• Penelope
    14 years ago

My neighbor went out looking and was appalled at the prices, but then found a lovely mixed planter in pastel shades for $20 at Mahoney's in Winchester. She was quite happy with it.

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Claire,
    You are talented enough to make your own. Not only more economical but you can make exactly what you want!
    Give it a go!
    Bill

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks lovesummer, I'll check them out. $20 is a reasonable price.

Bill, aren't you nice! DH usually brings home cut flowers for Mother's Day and I thought this year instead of that, I'd rather have a hanger. I would enjoy making my own too. I would have to start with a nice moss lined hanger. If I can find the time and get to the store for supplies soon, I might just do that, since I didn't get the hanger. :-)

• ginny12
    14 years ago

A company I love is Kinsman for (empty) hangers and containers and other garden stuff of all kinds. I have bought from them for years and the quality is great. I then buy hanging or potted plants in cheap plastic pots, pop them out, and put them in my attractive heavy-duty, moss-lined iron hangers.

I think Kinsman is in Pennsylvania. You will drool over their container plantings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kinsman garden hangers etc.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ginny, thanks. I took a look at their site this morning. They have a nice selection of baskets and liners. I also like their birdhouses. Do you use moss or coir lining?

• ginny12
    14 years ago

Hi pm2--I use both, depending on the container. The coir is a lot easier and lasts for years--about five years if I am careful when removing the old plant in the fall. But I have some containers that have very irregular shapes and for those I have to use moss. Messy to install--wet it for an hour or so before patting it against the sides of the container--but great-looking when done.

Of course, as the plants grow, you can't see the lining anyway!

• masshydrangea
    13 years ago

I like the hangers and planters at Green Thumb on Route 9 in Westboro. I've been getting mine from there for the past five years and they always do well. There are tons of Wave/Supertunia Petunia mixtures, plus some nice large Lobelias. They go for anywhere between $30 to $50, but I think they are worth it - very large and showy.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Over the years I've been disappointed with how huge and over-fertilized the standard hangers are. They get rootbound (water daily+) and worn out way too fast. I used to be able to find 8" hangers and re-plant them into 10", but that's harder and harder to find.

Now I like to make my own. Just 3 of those 4" Proven Winner pots can make a fine hanger. I forget if I use 8" or 10" pots. I think either will do. I use nice potting soil and time release fertilizer. (My fave potting soil is Fafard All-Purpose Potting Soil). I usually add a handful of something rich like Coast of Maine Potting soil or Seafood Compost.

Yes, it takes a few weeks for it to fill out fully, but well worth the wait IMO. I don't have to water as much. I could stuff it tighter for quicker thrill, but I try to restrain myself.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's what I've been thinking of doing too Wendy. I'm hoping this weekend to get a shopping trip in that finishes up my loose ends for the season. We make our own potting soil mix with peat, perlite and some home made compost or Coast of Maine too. I haven't tried time release fertilizer though.

Masshydrangea, thanks for that tip. Westboro is about an hour from me, not too bad, if it were near somewhere that I needed to go to, but nothing over that way for me. Maybe someone else on the forum closer to there will find that info helpful. Maybe you'll post a photo when you have yours in place? They sound nice! :-)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

...finishes up my loose ends for the season.

!!! OMG I'm not even starting my loose ends. I only recently got the cleanup done and now am working on some edits and mulching. I have some lawn repair to do too. Annuals and loose ends will be awhile. waaaaahhhhhh I want a smaller yard... badly.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wendy, normally I'm racing to get the yard ready for Memorial Day and almost always way behind. I always have a large project going on and making a mess somewhere, but this year I haven't started a big project yet so I am trying to get my containers done before I do. I have cut back on containers too. It became such a chore dragging them in and out. Now I have about 5 that I make up and the rest are just for vegetables.

I have a small yard and I would like a larger one, want to switch? [g]

• nucci60
    13 years ago

Cider Hill farm in Amesbury, Ma. Monster size baskets, best I have seen.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Okay, so after I said I don't buy pre-made overfertilized rootbound (now if not soon) baskets, I just saw one at Market Basket that I couldn't pass up. It was a nice 10" pot of a combination of white and pink diasca, purple verbena and scaveola for $16.98. And even when I do buy a basket, I never buy combos. But this one just appealed to me today for some reason.

Just one problem with buying hanging plants at Market Basket... not much room in the shopping cart for groceries - LOL! But several people stopped me to comment on how pretty it was. Hey, I can go buy more groceries anytime!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nucci, thanks for posting that. Amesbury is a little out of my area, but I'm sure someone will be able to use that info. I didn't know there was a farm in that area, nice to know.

Hmmm.....I'll have to check out the Market Basket, Wendy. I haven't gotten around to making up any of my containers yet. Maybe this weekend. What no photo? [g] It sounds pretty!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

here ya go... the picture really doesn't do it justice. The dainty airy look isn't coming thru with my crack photography skills. A little snipping of spent flowers needed too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wendy, that is very airy and pretty and that is before you've snipped and given it attention. I bet you will enjoy it and I think those annuals will go the distance too. Nice price. Thanks for posting the photo!

So does this mean you won't be making any containers of your own this year?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Oh no. I already made one this week. I put 3 million bells (Tequila Sunrise) 4" ($4.49ea) pots in a 10" hanger. Not picture worthy quite yet (but not bad).

Thanks to you, this thread spurred me to action, despite still mulching and doing early spring stuff. It sure feels like summer already!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wendy, I think you have zipped ahead of me now. I'll still be doing loose ends in July at this rate. [g] Your basket sounds pretty. I think I've seen that Tequila Sunrise million bells...pretty color.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Don't everyone groan at once because of another post about the plant sale to benefit the Childrens Hospital but - Michelle got some very nice hanging planters donated today from the nursery in Brockton. She is asking for a donation of $12.00 for the planters.