Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Japanese iris

ginny12
13 years ago

Does anyone know of a local nursery with a good selection of these? Or a good mail-order catalog that specializes in them?

Do you grow these? Any particular cultivars you'd recommend? Easy, beautiful, not too expensive. I have one cultivar--a big clump--and would like more in this area. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• ego45
    13 years ago

How did you make it to grow in a CLUMP?
    Mine don't want to behave and trying to spread all over the place.
    BTW, I could send you 'Electric Rays' (as many as you wish to) and 'Good Omen' (some) if you tell me when is the right time to dig them out.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what to tell you, George. Maybe mine have formed a clump because they have been regularly root-pruned by voles and chipmunks. Or maybe it's just that particular cultivar.

I checked my records. It is Iris ensata 'Kumazumi-no-Uta'. Bought four at a local nursery, nothing fancy, in 1982. As I have so little sun, I planted them in great soil but with only a few hours of sun. They sulked until 1996 when I moved them to one of my few full-sun spots which is also quite moist as it is at the bottom of my sloping driveway.

Miraculous! They thrived and grew into a gorgeous clump of gorgeous flowers. But in 2003, only a few shreds came up. It was during my great vole-chipmunk attack. I tried everything--no doubt in the GW archives--and finally succeeded by hiring an exterminator who uses rat traps. We knocked down the critter population (they had destroyed peonies, baptisia, Siberian iris and more) and the Jap. iris began to expand again.

But the clump expands slowly--no running. I think a Jap. iris expert would have to address that question.

And BTW, Ensata Gardens in Michigan comes well recommended by several people.

I would love to have some of your irises--thank you very much for the offer. Looked at them online and they are beautiful. Don't know what treasure I have to share that you would like in your garden but will try to come up with something. Thank you, George.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Ginny, please post a photo! I googled Iris ensata Kumazumi-no-Uta and got one link back - to this thread!

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

I just got back from Tranquil Lake Nursery in Rehoboth, MA just off Rt. 44 has a huge selection. But call to see if they are digging all the varieties now. Most all are in bloom now.

45 River Street
    Rehoboth, MA 02769-1395
    (508) 252-4002

Bill

• ginny12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You won't believe it but I don't have a digital camera, dtd. But I do have a great scanner so when they open, I will try to remember to take a photo--film--and scan--and then try to figure out how to post. This cultivar is beautiful but no more so than many other Japanese irises, a truly spectacular flower if you can provide its conditions.

And I too googled the name--no Google when I first bought them! Couldn't find it but found an Iris kumazumi. I have a friend who is Japanese. She's in Japan visiting family now but when she returns, I'll ask her what it means, if anything--maybe someone's name?? Or one of those evocative names--Flight of Butterflies?? Maybe it's been re-listed in the US under an English-language name. Or maybe no longer in commerce. Cultivars come and go fast.

Thanks for the reminder about Tranquil Lake, Bill. Alas, that is too much of a hike for me, tho I have been wanting to go for years. They get rave reviews on all their plants.

And George, thank you! I will be in touch but for everyone, here's the dividing info. I have always gone by the rule an old gardener told me, "You can do what you want in your own garden"--ie, move or divide any time--and I have always done so. But I haven't mailed anything.

I looked it up and it said Jap. iris are best divided from early spring to right after bloom so they have the summer and early fall to grow new roots and settle in. Makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant Iris ensata 'kumazumi'--mentioned on Google.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

bill, tell everyone how fabulous Tr Lake is!!what was your experience there today?
    best,
    mindy

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

I was at Katsura Gardens in Plymouth yesterday and there were a fair number of Iris ensata cultivars in pots for sale. I don't know if Plymouth is within your convenient range, but if it is you could call them (508) 746-9559 for information.

Claire

• whitelotusatlusignan
    13 years ago

I truly cannot remember if what I have is Japanese Iris??
    It had grown in a clump in my garden creating a circular pattern. Purplish leaves becoming green as it stretches out. Then a profusion of small purple flowers.
    If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
    I transplanted them because it seemed to be choking itself out and now when I am ready to pass along a few I potted for friends I do not know what to tell them it is.
    I can post a photo if necessary. Thanks for any and all help.

• asarum
    13 years ago

Posting a picture would be good. If you start a new post more people will see it to help you with identification.