Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedum37

Favorite Garden Centers and Nurseries (2006)

sedum37
17 years ago

Last year we had a fun thread on people's favorite nurseries and garden centers in New England. A lot of people contributed opinions and ideas! So I didn't want to lose all this great information. So this winter and spring I have been compiling all the comments into a PDF document. I have just finished it - at last!!!

So I have posted it here in PDF form. Let me know what you guys think. Any additions or corrections in the document? Any that have gone out of business? We have few postings from Maine may be because they have their own forum. Any ones for Maine to include? If you have other ones to include please email me (put Gardenweb Favorites in subj) or post them in this thread. Note in a few cases where incomplete info was provided or for informal roadside stands I excluded this from the document. To protect privacy, no user names were put in the document. Some of the sites have no comments since people didn't elaborate. If you see one with an empty comment, please post here with your experiences at that nursery.

Here's the orginal thread that started this project:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg041109264319.html (Please do not post in this thread. Post here instead).

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Nurseries PDF Document

Comments (52)

• mskee
    17 years ago

Sue,
    What a wonderful gift you have given us!! Thank you so much.
    Emily

• ginny12
    17 years ago

What a job, Sue! Bravo and thank you. I am going to print it and keep it in the car.

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Wow! This is excellent!! Thank you Sue for your hard work and great way of organizing the information!! Kudos and many thanks!!!
    Judye

• sedum37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments! I actually had a very selfish reason to put this document together -- I wanted it for myself! I hope sharing it here we can make it better. Already I've gotten another nursery to add to the list. I enjoyed this thread last season and it was a shame if it eventually went away. All the good comments people wrote are invaluable. I think the lists provided by People, Places and Plants Magazine is good but here we have real gardeners comments which makes it more valuable.
    So I hope to update it further with the complete addresses and telephone numbers but wanted to get it to this group in the prime shopping season (which is now!)

Sue

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Thanks Sue-this is a great resource!

Sue

• Spy_RI
    17 years ago

Thank you so much! That is wonderful, it must have taken you so much time! Thank you!
    Lexi

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

To the VT list, add Mr. Twitters Nursery in Rutland. I haven't been there since we sold our house in VT over three years ago but always made a point to stop in when I was up there in the summer. It's a fun, quirky place with a decent plant selection and small, but nice display gardens.

Sue

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Haven't been to Mr. Twitters in over a year, so I don't know if this is still true, but check this out just in case:

Mondays are "deal and dicker" day!! Makes plant shopping even more fun, and less expensive!

Mr. Twitters is on Rte 7 south in N. Rutland, VT. You know it when you see the purple picket fence! Enjoy!!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Goodness, Sue! Thanks so much! This is wonderful - and appreciated!

:)
    Dee

• Marie of Roumania
    17 years ago

thanks, sedum!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lahtay
    17 years ago

Sedum--

WOW!!!

Thanks SO much for doing this!(:

L.

• sedum37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've gotten a few more by email to add to the list. Probably will upload a new document in early July (Hope to be done with the first round of gardening chores by then). So the Mr Twitters Garden Center looks to be interesting...

Sue

Any Maine garden centers out there? Has to be some up there worth visiting. Keep all your ideas coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Twitters Web Site

• doxiechon
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for doing this list. I was hoping someone would do an updated 2006 thread, because I think nursery quality can change over time. My current favorite is Brigg's Nursery in North Attleboro. I haven't checked if they are on this list by each year they keep getting better and better. This year they have been great with their selections. This year they have had the largest selection of hens and chicks varieties that I had ever seen. I have another family run favorite nursery in Carlisle that opens July 15th. I'll do another posting and give details.

• Waitforspring
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all your work on this. What a great tool for all of us. I'm so impressed by your talent.

• siennact
    17 years ago

What a great resource!!!!!! Thank you for putting it together!

• doxiechon
    17 years ago

I printed the document and saw that you have already included Phillippo's Greenhouses in Carlisle. Thank you! That's the one I was going to give you the info on. You might want to add that they take cash or check only. If you forget, there's an ATM machine down the street. when other nurseries stock is dwindling or looking tired, his stuff is just reaching it's peak. Very reasonable prices too. He's including hostas this year. I'll let you know when he gets his website up and running. Thanks again for putting together that document.

• sedum37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all your compliments, comments, emails and updates! Keep them coming, people have sent me a lot of ideas to improve the document. If we keep getting all this rain I'll have plenty of time to make updates.

Cdperon I will add the info about cash/check payment at Rainbow Mums. I definitely agree with you about their stock! MIL's favorite place is Briggs too and (lucky me) she usually gets me plants from there for my birthday each year.

Don't forget if you have new comments about any place listed (such as cdperon suggested), submit them here.

• paigect
    17 years ago

I'm a relative newbie to gardening and I suspect most people already know this, but Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT, is amazing. I got the name from the list but didn't know exactly what I was in for. Having only been to places like Gledhill and Moscarillo's in West Hartford, I was completely floored. Their selection of trees and shrubs is fabulous, especially hard-to-find varieties. Same for perennials. They seem to have the latest and greatest of everything. I've been there twice in 2 weeks - - once for perennials, once for shrubs - - and plan on going again soon to purchase a Magnolia, of which they have an excellent selection. Highly recommended!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Hi Sue...

We certainly all can use this list you have constructed. Thanks for spending the time to do it. I can imagine it is tedious work.

I also have been to Broken Arrow once a few years ago and loved it. They also have a tendency to have native plants. I only wish they were closer to me.

You had McCues in Woburn on your list. Just wanted to mention they also carry casual wooden outdoor furniture, bird baths, small collection of containers and a limited amount of shrubs. In the winter, they have a small collection of houseplants, but very healthy looking. They also had some of those tall wooden windmills? Their layout is compact and you don't have to walk a mile to find everything you need.

Did I notice that Lexington Gardens in MA was not on the list? I have gone there regularly and I like their selection of shrubs/trees/shade plants/perennials and their prices are fairly reasonable. They do have annuals/herbs/veggies. They have some of the newest varieties that I am looking for, but not a lot. Their greenhouse/houseplants have usually left me cold. Great place for picking up a tool or supplies that you need, but they usually charge top dollar for them. Fair selection of containers, and gardening gifts. They usually have monthly specials that they post on site, but for some reason do not post them on their website. I think they sometimes do saturday seminars and now that I think of it, tomorrow they are having what they call Family Day. Not sure what that is all about, but I did see a llama on their poster. [g]

:-)

• sedum37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Prairiemoon2 - You are so right about Lexington Gardens! I will definitely add it to the list. This place has recently become my favorite over Russells to go to when I want to get something out of the ordinary. I got a lot of interesting types of geraniums and coleus there 2 weeks back and was so happy with the quality and price (if buying multiples). I also got some perennial geraniums in the smaller containers which are usually hard to find in less than 1 gallon size. They do have some hard to find garden supplies. In fact I bought some of the perma-nest trays there. These are the heavy duty seed starting trays I used this winter. I had ordered these online from Park Seed but also found them at Lexington Gardens and found I was short one. And they are convenient right off Rt 128 too and open late until 8PM during the week. Check them out if you're in the area.

I will add to the McCue's comments too.

Thanks,
    Sue!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Gardens in Lexington, MA

• crnaskater
    17 years ago

I learned about Whitham nursery about 4 years ago from another CT poster on this list. It is on Rt.6 in Bolton. I just take 384 to the end, turn right onto Rt.6 (Hop River Road)and it is 1/2 mile on the right. They don't have a web site, but a devoted clientel.

Was there today (and dropped $$$$.) Karen has retired, but Steve is the owner and there. He is 4th generation of this nursery and knows a lot. They also have things that you don't find in many big nurseries. It is a small place, but I have always found their plants, especially shrubs, to be a good quality. Steve is a little 'strange' and likes to tell stories.....just go with the flow. Sadly a kid named Brad that used to work there has now got his degree in forestery from Univ. VT and is working for Pride Farm (closer to where he lives)and Steve is trying to find someone like Brad - who loves his career path. He was really great working with me for plants for my wetlands.

I never would have found this place had it not been for a poster here. And when Hartford Magazine last year listed family business 100-150 yrs. old, Whitham was noted.

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

I can not believe you missed Stillman's Farm. this place is supurb. it has a huge selection of heirloom plants. and all kinds of plants.

http://www.stillmansfarm.com/

• WendyB 5A/MA
    17 years ago

vtskiers mentioned Demers in Manchester NH in some other related thread and I recently went there. It was very good! I didn't get a chance to fully examine it... I was there with a friend helping her choose annuals, but I will go back to look closely. It was very good sized!

Great job on the document!!! Thanks

• jackz411
    17 years ago

Mr. Twitters is still there just as you remembered it. Picked up some aluminum sulfate there a few weeks ago. Yeah, quirky but very nice people. Just up the road is Garden Time, which is fairly large, 50 times larger than Twitters. They were all eclipsed this year by the local HD which had 20 times more plants than ever, I was amazed at the volume and quality and diversity. Staggering. I wondered if Martha Stewart was running the place now?

But,my favorite New England Nursery is Lexington Gardens in Lexington, MA. A must go if you are ever in the area. If you are in Nantucket go to Nantucket Hydrangea Farm for incredible hydrangea varieties, some quite rare, look for Frank. Cheerio, Jk

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

yesterday I shot down rt 20 and hit Mahoney's first and then Russells. first time in a Russells and it was like one huge greenhouse. high prices. they had tomato plants for $4 that I got at stillmans for $1.50 and $2.00 with a much much better selection of heirlooms at Stillmans.

also at russells for $4 the tomato plants were in tiny containers and big plant above. this means the root ball is too small so the plant will not grow for awhile until it makes new roots hopefully along the stem. but they will definitely take time to get the roots set.

But all the yuppies were buying like crazy. wow what a money machine.

I did pick up a few things. but I passed up something at Mahoney's and will be back there Monday to pick it up.

• judyefd
    17 years ago

On Saturday I visited Blanchette Nursery in Carlisle that I learned about on this list. Wow!! Had a hard, yet fun, time selecting only two hostas (I'm a new convert to the wonderful and extensive world of hostas).

Then drove over to Winchester to visit the Cotton-Arbo retum. Just FABulous!!

What an inspiring day!! Need to make a new garden bed....!
    Judye

• hostalavista55
    17 years ago

I heard Martha talking about one of my favorite Garden Centers on her radio show the other day. She was talking about Garden Town USA in Davenport Iowa. They've got everything and nice to work with....and you don't even have to go to Iowa. Check them out....I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Town USA

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I'd add a comment to Broken Arrow Nursery. It is owned and operated by Dr. Dick Jaynes, who is responsible for many new Kalmia introductions. They have extensive plantings, and it's a good place see mature specimens of many different plants. They will give you a guided tour if they're not busy or if you call ahead.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Under CT I don't see Twombly's in Monroe. Although I generally find it pricy, they do have a large selection of woody plants, perennials, annuals and garden pottery and structures as well as an impressive display garden. On Sunday I stopped in for a visit and nabbed a couple of plants I haven't been able to locate anywhere else. All the tropicals and annuals were 50% off so a few of those jumped into my wagon as well.

Worth a look if you're in the area.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Twombly's

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

Just to let everyone know the Flower Outlet on Rt 3A in Billerica is also owned by Mcues that is in Woburn. Tons of the same plants and many times the prices are far less then at the main store in Woburn.

Also in Billerica is the Saltbox Nursery. Beautiful trees and shrubs, sale on plants and the only place I know of that lets you bring your own containers to fill with their bark mulch.

In Tewksbury is a wonderful place I found a year ago called Tewksbury Florist and Greenery. Thought it was only a florist for many years and accidentally found out that they have tons of greenhouses full of beautiful annuals and perennials that they grow from seed and start from cuttings themselves. They use the larger size 6 pack cells so the roots are large and really healthy. Some of the best plants I've bought are from here and the prices are really excellent, even in early spring. The perennials are some of the healthiest I've ever bought.

Here is a link that might be useful: tewksbury florist and greenery

• doxiechon
    17 years ago

Rainbow Mums in Carlisle has their website up. It's www.rainbowmums.com. They are opening July 15th.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Hi,

Before I forget, I called McCue's the other day and after answering a question, they told me that they are closing the end of July. I must have been in a hurry because I didn't ask why or for how long. I seem to remember them being closed last year at the end of the season. I will try to call them back and get more specifics. I'm sure it's not a permanent closing.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

That's GREAT! Thanks so much. I'm definitely putting a copy in my car.

When you have a minute, could you plese add Flower Garden Nursery to the MA list? It's on Sandwich Rd, Falmouth (Cape Cod) and the comment would be ... um ... small, full-service nursery that specializes in unusual annuals and tender perennials. They also carry interesting perennials, shrubs, trees, and vines.

It's a great source for salvias, daturas, and that sort of thing, but I've gotten Franklinias, clematis, ginger, etc there.

• judyefd
    17 years ago

I had a wonderful experience while on vacation in the Lake Champlain Islands of Vermont visiting Keeler Bay Lilies in So. Hero (~1/2 hour north of Burlington). They specialize in daylilies and hostas (why do so many nurseries specialize in this combination??), as well as other lilies and plants. Everything is grown on their own property, so you know it's hardy in New England. I had so much fun with the owner as he spent a good amount of time showing me plants that fit my garden needs and desires. Their prices are VERY reasonable. Worth the trip if you're traveling in that area (which is very worth visiting)!

We made room in the car for some plants among the bikes.

Judye

here's the info:
    Keeler Bay Lilies
    5 Keelers Bay Rd
    South Hero, VT 05486
    (802) 372-8319

(Keelers Bay Rd. is right off of Rte 2, soon after you get on the island)

• barbarawilliams
    17 years ago

Sue -- You are a candidate for sainthood in my book!! Thank you for your Herculen effort on the behalf of all of us tuned into the NE Gardening Forum. For those of you that may not know of it, there is a wonderful book called The Adventurous Gardener by Ruah Donnelly who lives out in the Berkshires. It gives a state-by-state listing with detailed descriptions of nurseries in NE. Ruah is a very knowledgeable gardener and each page is a total delight as she is also a gifted writer. This is a great resource for planning foraging trips.. I guarantee you that you will be introduced to wonderful small and specialty nurseries that you would otherwise not learn about. The book's first edition is now sold out, so it is hard to find at book stores, but you can be successful online - especially with etailers that sell used copies of books. Ruah is at work on an update, though I don't have any idea when that will become avilable. She has also written a 2nd book on the same topic but with the locale being the Atlantic states. So, if you've got gardening friends/relatives south of us, let them know about it -- or keep it in mind if you go to that area.

Sue, is there a way for people to keep adding to the list that you've put together? Should we post information here
    ? -- Barbara

• sedum37
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Barbara and anyone else, please add any additions or corrections here for garden centers you've visited. Alas the summer has gotten away from me and I haven't had time to update the document. I do have all the emails people sent and the comments are still here in this link so I plan to update the document this fall. I'll post again when there is a new update.

I did read The Adventurous Gardener! It is a great resource that I wish could be updated and reprinted by the author. It is a little out of date as some of the nurseries have now been sold, closed or moved. So that is my only caution to check before driving a great distance.

REMINDER: Any comments should be posted here and that this document is not part of the New England FAQ and cannot for various reasons be added to the FAQ.

Sue

• hunt4carl
    17 years ago

Sue, all I can say is 'Wow!' Now you can see why I lurk on the NE Gardening Forum (although I garden in New Jersey,
    I was born and raised a Yankee!). . .we have some extraordinary nurseries in New Jersey, but everyone pretty
    much likes to stay on their own turf.....

Me, I'm all over the map - too many nurseries, not enough time! So: I actually spend a fair amount of time in NE
    nurseries.....here's a second vote for Twombley, in Monroe,
    which didn't make your list. And would it be appropriate
    to include Bloomingfields Farm Daylilies, in Gaylordsville,
    CT (northwest corner) - Visitors ARE encouraged to visit
    on Fri/Sat/Sun during summer to both see and select from
    their incredible collection, but your orders are dug and
    shipped later. I have been buying from them for years, and
    their Web Site is simply one of the best.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomingfields Farm Daylilies

• susieoc
    17 years ago

Sue- I downloaded your guide during the summer and thought you did a fantastic job! It's a labor of love. These are local nurseries that deserve places in your guide also:
    Van Wilgen's, 51 Valley Rd., North Branford, CT 203-488-2110, healthy annuals & perennials, trees and shrubs of all sizes. A great place to stock up on necessities
    Wilber & King, 350 Goose Lane, Guilford, CT 06437, 203-458-8733, Beautiful stock, beautiful setting, Knowledgeable staff, design services, etc.
    Fonicello's Garden Center, 800 Boston Post Rd., Guilford, CT 06437 203-453-2072, great variety of annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, etc. Value for your money and very helpful, knowledgeable staff.
    I don't think any gardener can go wrong with these 3 nurseries. They are part of my regular rotation of places to shop. Thanks again, Sue, for a job well done.
    Susie

• pondlily
    16 years ago

Wow, what a nice surprise to see this list all organized! It's too cold out today (so far!) to work outside so I decided to plan my shopping trip. Thanks so much Sue!

• sedum37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got an email from someone asking if there is an updated version of the Garden Centers and Nursery document. So I definitely need to update it since some nurseries and garden centers have closed (i.e. Arena Farms) or been bought by others (i.e. Laughtons is now a Mahoney's branch). So hopefully can get to this task this spring. If you have any corrections or additions that aren't listed in this thread then please email or post here.

Thanks -- Happy garden center visiting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Garden Centers PDF link...

• Linda G (zone 5b)
    15 years ago

This is an EXCELLENT post - thank you so much!

(I just love the foraging trips and here are more places to check out!)

• lilysgarden
    15 years ago

Being a rare plant collector, and a member of NARGS (North American Rock Garden Society) for many years, I must say that I am drawn to nurseries that carry the out-of-the-ordinary plus the time tested backbone plants... all that to say...

Perennials from Susan (listed in Ruah Donelly's book... and soon 2nd edition) is still my all time favorite. Her place is located in Amherst, NH

Others that I visit often are:
    (some for plant rarity, others for all around needs)

Bedford Fields in Bedford, NH
    Blanchette's in Carlisle, MA
    Central Mass Garden Center in Lunenburg, MA
    Depot Farm Stand in Merrimack, NH
    Emma's Perennials in Hill, NH
    Fernwood Nursery in Swanville, ME
    Garden in the Woods in Framingham, MA
    Mason Hollow Nursery in Mason, NH
    Mixed Border Nursery in Hollis, NH
    Russell's in Wayland, MA

Here is a link that might be useful: The Adventurous Gardener

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Thought I would put this back on the front page, since I've gone looking or it twice already..

:-)

• sedum37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Could someone in the Kittery, Maine area comment on Green Art (a Nursery, Landscape Design and Art business). It looks like they no longer carry general perennials and annuals but now focus on high impact perennials and dwarf shrubs. Just curious about its new focus and if it is recommended. Looked like a cool place when written up in the original document.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Art Web site

• sedum37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops a few more for comments:
    1) Haskell Nursery New Bedford, MA. They now have a web site. I don't think in the original document there was a web site. It lists hours 8 - 5pm Mon - Sun. Any reports?

2) Comstock Ferre in Wethersfield, CT. I visited there last fall and it looked in terrible shape. Any reports this spring?

3) Weston Nurseries in MA - any changes after sale of some of the land?

Thanks!

FYI - corrections to note:

-Arena Farms Concord, Mass - closed and land sold to a private school (remove from document).
    -Laughton's Nursery Chelmsford, MA - bought by Mahoney's. Now a Mahoneys division. Will need to visit to update. Wasn't impressed when I visited it a month's time after it changed hands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haskell Nursery

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

bump to add to the collection.

Claire

• ct_susan
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to compile this list. In the mid to north western part of CT there is a wonderful place called Shakespeare's Garden. Unfortunately their web site doesn't do them justice. They are reasonably priced, very helpful, and they know their plants. Another plus, in my book, is that they are very community minded.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shakespeare's Garden

• pondlily
    13 years ago

I'm so happy to still find this still here! there are some places I haven"t been yet. Any new suggestions for CT or RI?

• kathyannd
    13 years ago

Hi, I just found this thread and with it, some great ideas for some new places to try.

We live on the North Shore (MA) on the seacoast just south of the the MA/NH line. Here are our favorites:

Our Favorite:
    NunanÂs Florist and Greenhouse
    269 Central Street, Georgetown, MA 01833
    www.nunans.com (978) 352-2927â

Great variety of annuals, perennials, herbs, shrubs, trees, vines, ferns, native plants, fruit trees, and unusual plants as well. They also have mulch, lots of gorgeous statuary, garden furniture, and a large and airy shop with every doo dad and tool you can imagine, and a full service florist shop. Prices are excellent and at the end of the season, you can get some amazing bargains.

First Runner Up:
    Corliss Brothers Nursery
    31 Essex Rd. Ipswich , MA 01938
    http://www.corlissbros.com (978) 356-5422
    Long time family owned nursery  they have great sales, an email "club", and you can find some wonderful things here. ItÂs a hike for us but we make the trip at least a couple of times a year.

Second Runner Up:
    Wolf Hill
    60 Turnpike Road, Ipswich, MA 01938
    www.wolfhillgardencenter.com (978) 356-6342

Lots of perennials that you donÂt see in some of the larger nurseries. All kinds of "different" and unusual garden knick knacks and furbelows. Staff is vert knowledgeable and helpful. Their "first" store was in Gloucester but the Ipswich site is closer to us. CanÂt compare them, as we have never gone to Gloucester, but weÂve gotten some great plants at the Ipswich store plus some fabulous statuary.

First Choice for Water Garden Suppliers and Guidance
    Country Gardens
    157 Central Street, Rowley, MA 01969
    http://www.countrygardens-rowley.com
    (800)628-0565 (978) 948-2124

Water garden specialists and our only place to shop for things for our pond. They are the expertÂs experts and both Bill and Lisa are always there, always ready to offer guidance and advice, and answer questions. They sponsor a large regional two day pond tour each year in June.

First Choice for herbs, heirloom tomatoes, and herbal products.
    The Herb Farmacy
    30 Elmwood Street, Salisbury, Massachusetts 01952
    http://www.theherbfarmacy.com (978)834-7879

Best local source for herbs, vegetable plants, heirloom tomatoes, all organically grown. One thing to remember, they accept cash and checks but no credit cards. They give lectures on various topics throughout the area. I attended one sponsored by our local garden club and it was fabulous.

• cat_delgado
    13 years ago

I know that the list is done but I just have to add in that Twombly Nursery in Monroe CT is great, very good prices a decent variety of all types of plants, and the staff is very helpful, the website is never current but they have alot of tried and true perrenials and seasonal sales too!