Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

What's Blooming in Your Garden - a Photo Thread - June 2014

pixie_lou
9 years ago

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the first thread for June 2014. All garden photos are welcome. Since Summer is almost here, our focus will be on flowers in this thread. However, all landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your New England garden or your yard in the month of June, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the June 2013 Part I thread; and the June 2013 Part II thread.

For previous 2014 threads:
May 2014 Part II

May 2014 Part I

April 2014

March 2014

February 2014

January 2014

For all other 2013 threads, please go to the December 2013 thread and follow the links for the relevant month.

To see all of the 2011 and 2012 threads, please visit the
photo gallery
. (I requested that the photos be moved there. I am still waiting for the GW editors to move the threads. I just emailed the editors for the 4th time.)

Comments (74)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

The bed at the top of the old barn foundation has a mix of blooms, many in the purple and yellow range now including azaleas 'Golden Lights' and an orange one, alium, lupines, Dicentra eximia, a Geranium that I think might be renardii, and false Solomon's seal.
    {{gwi:696269}}From early June 2014

This Leucosceptrum 'Gold Angel' is becoming a favorite. It looks somewhat like a coleus but is a perennial.
    {{gwi:243942}}From early June 2014

The native pagoda dogwoods (Cornus alternifolia) are blooming.

From early June 2014

The veggie garden is almost all planted for the season, though I still have melons, squash, and beans to add.

From early June 2014

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

This thread is enabling. I just emailed a local nursery inquiring about Leucosceptrum 'Gold Angel' thanks to nhbabs' picture. It is a new plant to me, but one that I now want for darker garden areas. Very neat and can grow to a 3' ball. Also, if I recall correctly, some people on this forum sometimes have had difficulty giving away surplus veggies come the end of August. If we can help in any way relieve the burden of those surpluses, be sure to let us know. Enabling thread.
    Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I find the photos and feedback on GW rather enabling as well. I have L. 'Gold Angel' courtesy of the thread on foliage started by Katie (runktrun) in 2010 (linked below) which included her Leucosceptrum. I got mine from Avante Gardens in MA and they have it listed on their website now.
    http://avantgardensne.com/leucosceptrum-japonicum-gold-angel
    (How's that for enabling . . .)

Luckily, I am far enough north that some plants won't grow here, otherwise I would fear for my bank account, since my space won't limit me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flaunting Foliage

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Plant Delights also has three leucosceptrums listed.

Space limits me severely.

Claire

• PankajT
    9 years ago

nhbabs, that's an impressive veggie garden :)

Does the Leucosceptrum grow to about 3 feet and around 3 feet wide? And do the deer leave it alone or do they go for it?

Pankaj

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Also impressed with that vegetable garden, Babs. Looks like you are off to a good start!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

The veggie garden is the size that pre-existed when we bought the house, and since we found a brass harness bell one year when cultivating, it has been a veggie garden since the plowing was done by horses. I prefer raised beds, but we didn't plan to stay in this house as long as we have, so it didn't seem worthwhile to build them. I don't plant the entire thing every year, but this year my time and the weather have made it possible to fill it. We produce all our edible-podded peas, parsley, garlic, leeks, hot peppers, and potatoes for the year, and and all our fresh summer veggies, plus the majority of our basil and onions and a good amount of frozen veggies. We are planning to cut down the old apple tree on the left side this year, after years of trying unsuccessfully to get it to produce edible fruit. It doesn't even bloom well every year. It shades a good chunk of the garden and sends roots into it, so it will be processed into wood.

Last year was the first my Leucosceptrum was in the ground (it got planted in the fall after a season in my pot ghetto) and the voles got to it over its first winter, so it didn't get quite that large, but I think it will this year, based on its growth rate now. I can't answer the deer question since in general I don't have issues with deer. They may occasionally take a nibble, but have only killed one or two plants. I think that there are enough alternatives for them elsewhere.
    Here it is with faded blooms and starting to turn color in mid-October in the upper left of the photo. I am assuming that it will be fuller this year based on relative size last spring vs. this spring.

From October, 2013

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

A recent article re: ladyslippers...

Here is a link that might be useful: NH State Wildflower Blooming Across State

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another iris has opened. This one was from a mixed bag I bought last fall.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Wow, this thread is indeed enabling. I just googled that leucoseptrum Gold Angel. I am a bit scared off by it's common name, though - shrub mint. Hmmm.....

Had my first rose bloom today! Zephrine Drouin, on my arch over the sidewalk to my patio. Other than that, I have irises, geraniums (biokovo) and columbines and really that's about it. Sarah Bernhardt peony about to pop - I think I lucked out with the timing this year as there is no rain in the forecast for a few days!

Dee

• PankajT
    9 years ago

The kousa dogwood is in full bloom.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Love the Kousa Dogwood. Here is our Snowball Bush (Sterile Viburnum) in full bloom:

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My "vision" was for a pond surrounded by Siberian iris. Since the pond measure 100x50, it was a multi year project to get rid of the existing weeds, but even longer to find that many irises (for free). Now that the project is complete, I have realized the fatal flaw in my vision. Sun patterns. The northeast side of the pond gets more sun than the southeast side. Which means that my blossoms move across the perimeter of the pond, kinda like The Wave at major sporting events. Short of deforestation, my vision will never come to fruition, but I'm learning to enjoy the phased blooms.

Northeast side of the pond

• Tina_n_Sam
    9 years ago

Exciting stuff happening here and the flora is impressive as always!

Michelia alba, which smells like Juicyfruit gum:

More flowers to come:

Lonicera sempervirens with new trellis since it outgrew the last one:

Columbines like my yard...yay..:

-Tina

• PankajT
    9 years ago

The pond looks lovely, pixie_lou. And think of it this way ... you have a longer period of bloom thanks to the sun pattern :)

• PankajT
    9 years ago

The first poppy opened up today

• PankajT
    9 years ago

The pink peonies are blooming ... I feel like such a fool for not knowing the variety names:(

• PankajT
    9 years ago

... and a blood-red peony.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

pankajt, I'm not a huge fan of kousa dogwoods, but your's is beautiful! What a lovely form, and so big too! Just curious, how old is that?

Dee

• PankajT
    9 years ago

Dee, the tree was probably 3 feet tall when we planted it in 1996, so it's probably around 20-25 years old. I gotta turn you on to kousas ... this isn't even the best time for them (at least in my book). I love them when they load up with their "strawberries" in the fall. The pic is a close-up from last year.

I looked up my records to find the variety ... all I have is cornus kousa hybrid (Japanese dogwood).

homegrowninthe603, I really like your snowball bush. Is it fragrant? I'm looking for ideas for a fragrant viburnum (or alternative) to plant on the north side of the house ... any ideas? Preferably one that the deer won't be drawn to.

Pankaj

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Pankaj - the snowball bush is very pretty but, alas, it has no fragrance.

I had a kousa when I lived in MD for a couple of years. Forgot about the Fall "fruit"!

Your flowers are so colorful and gorgeous.

Susan

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Pankaj - I have Viburnum x burkwoodii because its wafting perfume led me to it at the Denver Botanic Garden, my introduction to this beautifully scented plant. It is a cross between V. carlesii (lovely scent also) and V. utile (don't know about scent). There are a variety of selections of both V. carlesii and V. x burkwoodii.

Right now the Kousa dogwood just outside the kitchen window is starting to bloom in a lovely creamy pale green that I have been total unable to capture in a photo. As the petals expand they become white, but I almost like this color better.

• PankajT
    9 years ago

Thanks, Babs. As I have read more, I discover that viburnums like full sun or part sun ... I thought they were a shade-loving plant. The spot I am thinking about is on the north wall of the house and there are trees around, so it's pretty shady. Looks like viburnums are not the shrub of choice.

What sort of sun does your burkwoodii get? I can think of another spot to put a bush, but that's pretty shady too, just not as shady as the north side of the house.

And any other ideas for a fragrant shrub that could go in a shady spot?

• PankajT
    9 years ago

Oh, and Babs, I know what you mean about the light green first blush on the kousa blossoms (actually bracts) ... they are gorgeous!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Babs, looks like you are going to get a lot of produce out of your vegetable garden this year! I think I see corn growing too. ThatâÂÂs one of the crops I never have room for. IâÂÂm wondering which vegetables you will put in the freezer? And do you grow zucchini and if so, which variety?

IâÂÂm still waiting for our first rose to bloom, Dee. Irises are done and in need of deadheading. Columbine are still hanging in there, with Weigela and Nepeta âÂÂWalkerâÂÂs Lowâ that both just started blooming. Baptisia is still blooming with Geraniums [Biokovo and Karmina] Not a lot left to bloom for the summer, since I ripped out a lot of summer blooming perennials in the fall. So itâÂÂs lilies, roses and butterfly bush that are still to come. IâÂÂm going to be adding some annuals soon too.

That really is a very pretty Kousa Dogwood, PankajT! I love the shape of the crown. Poppy season still going, pretty!

And Snowball Viburnums are really cheerful, Homegrown.

Your iris are filling in, Pixielou.

Tina, IâÂÂm not familiar with that Michelia and had to look it up. It reminded me of a citrus or a jasmine, so surprised itâÂÂs of the Magnolia family. The fragrance sounds very different. I keep Agastache Honey Bee Blue around because when you harvest the seeds, you get a root beer scent that I love.

Babs, IâÂÂve had trouble with Viburnum carlesii. Every spring after it blooms the leaves have become distorted. I have two and one is worse than the other, to the point where I am going to remove it in the Fall. Maybe I should try the burkwoodii in itâÂÂs place?

My favorite hosta is bigger and better this yearâ¦.âÂÂJuneâÂÂ.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

PM2 - 'June' is gorgeous! Does it keep those colors all season? No corn - too many critters like it, from beavers to raccoons to bears and the few times I grew it, it was critter-harvested the day before I planned to harvest it. Near view is garlic, mid view is onions, far end is leeks. We like Alliums! I freeze tomatoes and hot peppers mostly along with some herbs (lots of basil & parsley in the form of pesto), shredded squash for baking and stews, rhubarb, and eggplant. I don't grow zukes, I grow a firmer textured and more flavorful heirloom squash, Zucchetta Tromboncino, that if left unchecked grows to baseball bat-sized and has long vines.

PankajT - I have one Burkwoodii in western sun from late morning to sunset and the other grows more sparsely in only 4 or 5 hours of morning sun. They both bloom and perfume the air, but the one in more sun is denser.

I tried again this morning to capture the color of the Kousa's bracts and got a lot closer to what I see than yesterday's attempts.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Babs, I do love the tricolor markings on âÂÂJuneâÂÂ, and what makes it even better, is that the leaves are thick and it stays good looking all season. I am knocking on wood as I say that, [g] so I donâÂÂt jinx myself. ItâÂÂs three feet across this year. I planted it in 2008, so thatâÂÂs a six year old plant that has never been disturbed. I thought it might have been just a lucky placement but on the Hosta forum, a lot of people are very happy with âÂÂJuneâÂÂ. Does it keep those colors all season? I havenâÂÂt really been paying attention IâÂÂm afraid. If I run across some late in the season photos, IâÂÂll check.

ThatâÂÂs too bad about the corn, but not that surprising. ItâÂÂs been a long time since IâÂÂve tried to grow it. I was looking at the garlic and onions in your garden I guess. We used to use a lot of garlic but weâÂÂve slowed down for some reason. I have not had any surplus from our small vegetable garden in the past to put up any in the freezer. I hope to have some extra this year, I planted one SanMarzano paste tomato plant that I have high hopes for. I think I tried that Tromboncino one year and I forget how that worked out. The neck is curved and the skin is pale, right? We are trying Costata Romanesca squash as a non traditional summer squash, this year.

I can see the bracts on your Kousa and it is a really nice effect. IâÂÂve always found the process of watching the plants change and transform another interesting part of gardening. Like Hosta leaves in the time between when they emerge and when they unfurl. Very pretty, Kousa!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My first poppy about to open. This plant hasn't bloomed the past 2 years. But I transplanted the overgrown irises fit hat were blocking it's sun, and finally got another lovely blossom!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

PM2,

June is one of the top 3 most popular Hostas according to the AHS popularity poll. It does keep it's color all year long, but it looks different in different light situations. In full shade the middle will stay more green/chartreuse and in more sun June will be gold in the middle.

Steve

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Steve, wow, I didn't even know what I was buying at the time. It was an impulse buy and I knew nothing about it. I bought it at a local plant sale and I was just happy I didn't get a virus. The top three most popular, well no wonder I like it so much!

Mine is planted on the South side of my property between two trees and about 4ft away from a fence. So it gets a little sun and then it's bright the rest of the day, with nothing overhead.

Thanks, Steve and yours is so healthy looking too. Not every hosta in my garden is looking as good as June. Some that were under trees, have damage from winter moths dropping down and chewing them. Guacamole for one.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I've been having computer issues, but here's a few photos that have been collecting on my phone's camera in June.

Here's a shot of the full plant of Peony 'Singing in the Rain'. You can see that the flowers have different amounts of peach and yellow in them and they change over time.

This is Clematis Bourbon opening in front of Hosta Neat and Tidy

Clematis 'Omoshiro'

Full Moon Maple (Acer Shirishiwanum) with Hostas 'Beckoning' and 'Brother Stefan'

First bloom of Carefree Wonder. I bought this one after seeing Claire's.

Peony Krinkled White, no staking needed.

Intersectional Peony 'Cora Louise'

Clematis 'Hyde Hall'

Geranium macrorhyzum 'Ingwerson's Variety' used as an edging plant and "shoes and socks" for the Arborvitae.

Sunny Knockout Rose, this bloom only lasts a few days, but it produces lots of them

Rosa 'Can Can' this one is climber from Bill Radler (inventer of the Knockout Rose). In a few days it will be full of open blooms. Mine is about 6 feet tall.

Part of the white garden.

An unusual allium, Nectoscordum bulgaricum

Steve

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Steve, you have a really nice garden from photos youâÂÂve posted over the years. IâÂÂm sure you work hard at it and I hope you are happy with it. I always enjoy your photos. I love that Clematis âÂÂBourbonâÂÂ. Just love it! That is calling my name and I hope you donâÂÂt mind if I try to add it to my garden? And if you donâÂÂt mind again, do you have any special nursery you buy your Clematis from? IâÂÂve not been all that happy with the last purchases I made and want to try somewhere else. All of your Clematis look very good and are not the usual varieties I have seen either.

Your Rosa âÂÂCanCanâ is very cute. I like the mossy stems and buds. I hope you will post more photos as it blooms more.

• PankajT
    9 years ago

Wow, Steve, fabulous flowers ... I liked every one of them, plus the nice view of the white garden. Beautiful color choices on your part.

• nekobus
    9 years ago

Lots of nice variety in peonies, roses, and clematis here. I'm jealous!

My only surviving lupine bloomed last week. I've killed a lot, but this one seems happy in its pot:

My first clematis of the year, "Bonanza":

First peony:

This rhododendron came with the house. We moved it last fall, and I'm very happy to see it doing well so far this spring:

I feel like there are far more iris plants blooming than I ever planted, but I have no complaints:

Wisteria frutescens:

This rose is a volunteer that I first noticed last summer. It just started blooming, but it's got a ton of tiny buds on it. It's shockingly aggressive, so I may end up ripping it out, but I'm enjoying it for now:

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Thanks, PM2, Pankaj and Neko. I usually buy Clematis from Brushwood Nursery (link below). Like Hosta, Clems take a few years to fully develop, but once they do they can be beautiful. I've started to grow them on shrubs as well as fences and trellises. Right now Brushwood's inventory is low, but the are having a sale where everything is 33% off on orders over $50. Just paste "summervines" into the Discount Coupon box and click Update.

The funny thing is that Bourbon is one I picked up at a local nursery. Clematis that are blooming now are ones that need very little pruning (group 2). You just trim them. But if you can't remember which one's to prune how, you can always cut them all back in the Spring. It won't hurt them, it'll just delay the flowering of the group 2 plants. Bourbon is growing on a low shrub called Pinus strobus 'Soft Touch'.

I really like that Lupine pic, Neko. It reminds me of Prince Edward Island where the lupines self seed and grow wild along the roadside.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nekobus - that "volunteer" looks like it could be multiflora Rose - an invasive species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive multi flora rose fact sheet

• PankajT
    9 years ago

As someone who took up gardening seriously just last year, I have a lot to learn and am starting this thread so the more experienced gardeners out there (if you are willing!) could share their expertise. It would be great to hear what needs to be done at any given time and to hear about time-saving tips. I have a big yard and the work feels overwhelming at times. I know I'm not doing things as efficiently as I should. So what are YOU doing in your garden nowadays?

I'm still trying to finish weeding the perennial beds and putting down a nice leaf mulch. Of course some weeds come through the mulch anyway and I'd like to know how best to deal with those.

I am still planting as well as the beds have lots of gaps and empty spaces. This past weekend, I went to a plant swap in Billerica and came away with some Cranesbill geraniums, a hosta, a mukdenia, a spiderwort, a little lemon balm seedling, some campanulas, and seedlings of foxglove (mixed colors), rose campion, malva zebrina and nicandra. All have been planted and I am eagerly waiting to see how they turn out.

• PankajT
    9 years ago

Hmm ... that was supposed to be a new discussion thread. How does one get a new discussion thread started? I obviously haven't been able to figure it out!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Go to the main NE Gardening page and look at the very top for "Post a message."

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 22:04

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have several areas with similar colors on adjoining plants, none of which were specifically planned.
    Salvia, Penstemon, and Nepeta

From June 9-10, 2014

Nova Zembla rhododendron and Wine and Roses weigela plus just out of sight a primula with the same color I got at Annie's swap a year ago from Debra_Boston.
    {{gwi:244971}}From June 9-10, 2014

Shade garden

From June 9-10, 2014

HF Young clematis (which is really a lighter, less purple shade, but needs just the right light to photograph the way I see it) with Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls

From June 9-10, 2014

• nekobus
    9 years ago

Pixie_lou, I fear you may be right. I planted a bare root Rosa carolina a couple feet away from it this spring, so worst case I just rip the white guy out and hope the native rose expands.

Steve, I ordered some Lonicera from Brushwood this spring, but never checked out their clematis selection. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to take a look...

Re: PEI lupines, I started a couple dozen of the native ones from seed this year, hoping to recreate some of that look. They're doing great so far in the greenhouse, but like I said, I seem to have a black thumb with them.

Nhbabs, I like your Penstemon/Salvia combo, and that clematis. Your Penstemons are so far ahead of mine.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babs - I take it your allium don't mid the shade?

Another iris opened. It looks more pinkish in real life.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i just uploaded all the photos I took on Monday morning.

Alliums in the white garden

Peonies in full bloom. I've gotten lucky this year - no rain!

The lawn is a sea of clover blossoms

I think this is Japanese Iris. Or maybe dutch?

Another iris

Gaillardia. I call this one Wellfleet Gaillardia. I Borrowed some seeds from a garden near Uncle Toms Bridge in Wellfleet.

Another view of the iris lined pond. You can see the far side isn't in bloom yet.

Clematis Barnaby

And lastly Devils Trumpet

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

PankajT: So where's your new thread? I think it would be very useful for a lot of people who may hesitate to post, and there's always something new to learn for the more experienced gardeners.

As Steve said, you can go to the main New England Gardening page and look at the very top for a link to post a message. Or you can go to the same page and scroll all the way to the bottom past a lot of white space and get to a box that works the same.

You don't even have to retype your message since you've already posted. You can use the edit post feature and copy what you wrote here, and then paste that in the new thread.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the blooming thread - I'm getting dizzy with all the beautiful pictures and the succession of new flowers appearing every day!

Each garden seems to be on a different schedule, and so is mine.

My first daylilies!

Hemerocallis 'Orangeman' I just bought a bunch of these on sale this spring from Old House Gardens, and wasn't expecting anything this year (little bitty plants). One of them is blooming already, to my amazement. I love spider-type daylilies.

Another daylily, 'Black Eyed Stella', just started also:

The first foxgloves/digitalis have started. These planted themselves a few years ago by the rugosa roses and peonies and they match them perfectly, so I've encouraged them to stay.

Pink:

And white:

Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake" is taking off now, while the doublefile viburnum is fading away.

The doublefile blossoms are decorating the ground now.

The little Calamintha grandiflora is quietly blooming.

Along with the little Sedum kamtschaticum sitting next to the cotoneasters and a yucca.

Two of my favorite irises:

'Rustler'

and 'Beverly Sills'

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Very pretty Iris on this thread. I've decided they're too much trouble for me and took most of mine out, but I do miss them. I have a heavier soil and I think that might be part of it. I still have a couple that seem to work out better than others I had.

Pixie Lou, are your Iris blooming longer this year? You still have a lot of bloom.

Babs, I have those two shrubs, Nova Zembla and Weigela 'Wine and Roses' but not next to each other. Mine are still very small and I'm trying to prune them this year for a more dense structure.

WAY too much cloudy weather this year. I thought last year was bad when the whole month of May was like this but here it is the 13th of June and we're still stuck in this. I always appreciate the rain, but right now the vegetable garden needs more sun!

Our Kolkwitzia is in full bloom and adding it's scent to the whole front yard. It normally is in bloom by the 1st of June, so it's late this year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

A close up of the blossoms...

• Tina_n_Sam
    9 years ago

Beautiful peonies and clematises!

Steve, the color of the Bourbon is so dramatic. Love it.

My foxgloves didn't make it through the winter this time.

pairiemoon2, very nice blossoms. And, they smell good too? Awesome!

-Tina

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tina - digitalis is biennial. So if you deadheaded, or if you have heavy mulch, you could have lost them.

My first coreopsis opened this morning.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

So many lovely plants!!!! Here are some of mine! :)

Hyacinth bean vine

First gladiolus of 2014

First zinnia!!
    {{gwi:6240}}

African daisy hiding underneath my wallflowers

Wallflowers

Dianthus!!

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

June Part II is officially open!

Here is a link that might be useful: June Part II