Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Another Identify that plant thread

pixie_lou
12 years ago

In the spirit of thkrer, I've got a couple more things in my garden that I have no idea what it is.

Is this Golden Rod? Last year I nursed a mystery plant - until I found out it was golden rod. This is going to crowd out my holly hocks - so I need to decided what to do with this plant.

Anyone know what this plant it?

And lastly - I found these mystery bulbs last year. So I relocated them. And lo and behold, I'm getting blossoms.

{{gwi:1074715}}

Comments (6)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I don't usually venture into plant ID threads - at least not with much confidence! - but I do think the first plant is goldenrod. I absolutely love this plant and am so happy that I have a big swath of native plants in my yard.

The last one might be some kind of bluebells -Spanish bluebells maybe? It's bugging me because I'm thinking its some other kind of bluebell - not Virginia - but only Spanish comes to mind.

The middle one I'm not sure enough to even venture a guess in writing, lol.

:)
    Dee

• roxanna
    12 years ago

middle one is corydalis 'lutea', i think.
    General Culture:

Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in part shade to full shade. Prefers rich, moist soils that never dry out in part shade, however drainage must be good and incorporating gravel into the soil may benefit a planting. Wet soils in winter can be fatal. Generally intolerant of hot and humid summer conditions and does not grow well in the deep South. May aggressively self-seed in the garden in optimum growing conditions. If foliage significantly depreciates in hot summers, plants may be cut back to basal leaves.

Noteworthy Characteristics:

This species of Corydalis (commonly called yellow fumitory or yellow corydalis) is a woodland perennial which typically forms a mound of ferny, medium green foliage to 15" tall and 18" wide and produces bright yellow, short-spurred flowers (3/4" long) in axillary racemes over a long May to September bloom period. Leaves are 2 or 3 pinnate with distinctive 3-lobed leaflets and resemble those of bleeding heart (Dicentra) to which it is related. This plant is much more vigorous in the British Isles (a cooler climate with low humidity) where it apparently grows like a weed.

Problems:

No serious insect or disease problems.

Uses:

Shaded rock gardens or border fronts. Forms a nice ground cover in shady woodland areas. Considered a classic cottage garden plant. Naturalized areas. A good plant for wall pockets in cool summer climates.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I agree with Dee, the first is a Goldenrod, which I enjoy too, but it really depends on the species. Yours might be Solidago canadensis which spreads by rhizomes aggressively and I usually pull those. I prefer the clumping Goldenrods.

The 3rd plant looks like Spanish Bluebells, Hyacinthus hispanica. Clumps get thicker over time - can easily be divided.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Roxanna - thanks for the corydalis identification. I looked thru my paperwork, and I did buy it 2 years ago!

I think terrene and diggerdee are right with the Spanish Bluebells ID.

I think I'm going to try to transplant the goldenrod. The bees like it. But I don't want it to crowd out my hollyhocks.

Now I have 2 more plants I need ID's. (I tend to be the flower disposal in my neighborhood. On a regular basis I come home to garbage bags full of plants sitting in my driveway - neighbors thinning their gardens and giving the extras to me since they know I will plant the stuff. I am trying to border my whole plot with flowers - so far I'm about 25% of the way there.)

This bright pink flower has foliage like a strawberry plant, but has a bright pink flower and has NEVER produced a fruit.

This next plant came with a bunch of rhubarb from my god mothers house. I don't think it's a weed, since it has not spread. It makes these little white ballish type flowers along the stem later in the summer.

{{gwi:211446}}

{{gwi:211447}}

• dfaustclancy
    12 years ago

Hi PL:

I think your third plant is camassia. It is a bulb that flowers in the spring, otherwise known as Wild Hyacinth. The flowers look a lot like your photo. Here is a URL from Bluestone....

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/BCAES.html

Good luck on id-ing the rest!

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

First photo here is a strawberry. Possibly "Pink Panda" or another named variety. These are used as decorative plants, primarily as groundcovers. They don't produce fruit.