Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zahzeen

Childrens Hospital Plant Sale

zahzeen
13 years ago

This afternoon I drove over to Avon to drop off a couple of pots and some soil and meet Michelle, who has being doing her "grassroots" plant sale for the benefit of the Children's Hospital. Next Saturday, I'll be volunteering at the plant tent - you all know I'm not an expert (I told her "I know the difference between an annual and a perennial")and if anyone else feels like volunteering with me, please come by or if you can volunteer some other time, please contact Michelle. She was fortunate enough to get some colorful annuals from a nursery in Brockton and there were Trudi's seeds sprung to life - planted by Michelle in cold frames over the winter. She has also received some other plants, pots and book donations.

Since I'm still very much still a beginner, I don't have much in the way of plants to donate. The previous owner of my house planted some hostas and I may be able to dig up one or two. If anyone in the Boston area has anything to donate to Michelle and her worthwhile cause, you can drop them off at my house in the Newton/Brookline area or if you have several things you may be able to give, I can pick them up in the afternoon on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. Since this Sunday is Mothers' Day, maybe someone has some plant or basket arrangement that they made or no longer want and we could market them as Mother Day gifts. Maybe you (and you are all very creative)have other ideas for Mother Day gifts you can donate. Michelle mentioned she was already out of hostas and again, I'll be willing to come get them if you live in the Boston area.

You have been such a generous group of people with your time, patience and expertise with me in helping me with my gardening questions. If you'd like to extend that generosity with a donation of plants or pots (or potted plants), please send me an email or contact Michelle. She has done a tremendous job so far and I hope more of us can help her to help the Children's Hospital.

Thank you for your interest just by reading this.

Comments (9)

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I could give you at least 2 dozen plants. I live in Lexington and if anyone else reading this wants to leave plants with me we could minimize travel for the organizer. Michelle should be aware, though that things dug up now might not look so great a day after. If I dig up things tomorrow maybe by Thursday they'll have gotten over the worst of their transplant shock.
    I have some good stuff that she can price high: European ginger. I'll see what else will travel well.

You are a good person to do this! Our youngest (now graduating from college) was at children's as a newborn. What a wonderful place.

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

speechless by the amazing gift you have given me of your time and effort and now THIS? You rock.

FTR: WELL on our way to the $10,000 goal. AND your act of selfless volunteering has inspired the whole STORE to make this work!
    I am so glad you stopped by and sad.. you missed my brute squad.. The family I have mercilessly driven for the past year showed up to lend a hand.
    DH at one time was a used car sales man.... These people did not stand a CHANCE lol. And the CUTE factor was high.. my lil 2 came and the twins towers were there to provide muscle. and let me introduce them to everyone as "my baby" and did not kill me..

AND..OMG>.. DH went to pacakrd Farms for " a few flats" and came back WITH ANOTHER WHOLE VAN full.. Off to bed more fun for tomorrow.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle,

After I left Avon, I went to Dollar Tree in Norwood where I had previously purchased these wire hanging planters and that straw kind of stuff. The planters and straw were of course $1.00 each but they were all out. They called around for me when I mentioned the Children's Hospital and the Alston store had 10 left. I drove over there and scooped them up. I'll bring some potting mix on Saturday and maybe we can do something along the lines of buy the basket with "straw" for say $5.00 along with the plants and we'll plant it for you. Try to catch Dads with kids and get them to buy them as Mothers' Day gifts. The kids could do the planting themselves if they want - I have some of those disposable gloves. This way they can customize what they want and tell their Moms "I made it myself". Could try the same concept (gimmick?) with the pots. Maybe you could ask your husband if based on his experience this would work!

It was great to meet you and the so, so nice people at Cosco. I'm looking forward to next Saturday.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Marie (aka idabean),

Thank you so much for your email. We'll coordinate the pick up and delivery. As I mentioned in my response, I had a friend whose daughter was in Children's for over a week and was so impressed with the quality of the care she received and very importantly, the real affection of the staff for their small patients during which much be a very, very tumultous time for not only the children, but the parents as well. Thank you so very much again.

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

From Aaron (Michelle's husband) since I happened to see this post on the monitor:

@zahzeen - I like the "I made it myself" Mom's Day gift idea. It will just require an extra table and a nice sign to help grab someone's attention... and a smiling face ready to lend a hand.

@idabean - I like the idea of pricing some items high to get better donations. However, many of the shoppers were viewing us as a garage sale and looking for the bargain.

Michelle's comment about my car sales experience immediately made me think of a shyster. :( But it just helped me learn how to engage a prospect and approach a sale. When we're selling just plants we get the bargain hunter looking to scrimp us. When we sell Children's Hospital and provide plants as a thank you... that's when we get the $$$. We sometimes need to remind the customer what we're selling so they feel good about the 'transaction'.

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle/Aaron,

Used car salesman a shyster????? I just bought a used car and the salesman was wonderful - I got a great deal (or so I want to believe!)

Being a novice, I looked up European Ginger on Google and it has great selling points - shade plant, shinny leaves, spreads but not invasive. Aaron, haven't met you yet but we should be able to get a premium if you put on the right "spin" - I'm sure! You can put me down for the first sale.

• tomakers
    13 years ago

Michelle, it was nice meeting you. I want to encourage any one in the area to go and meet Michelle at the plant tent. I got some wonderful plants and I will be back for more next week. Remember it's all for Children's Hospital.
    Happy Gardening,
    Tom

• tulipsmiles
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    Where abouts in Avon is the sale? Also, what are the times?

Thanks!

• zahzeen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Tulipsmiles (love the moniker!). It's REALLY EASY to find (if I can find it, anyone can!). The sale is at the Cosco in Avon right next door to IKEA (the address is 120 Stockwell Drive). Take 128/95 to Rt. 24(exit 4 off 128/95) and go about 5 miles to exit 19B off Rt. 24. At the end of the ramp take a right and about .2 miles take another right on Stockwell Road. Go down about .5 miles past Christmas Tree Shops, Home Depot, etc. and you come to a small rotary that points you to take the first right off the rotary to COSCO. The tent is at the front of store. I'm pretty sure the hours are 10 to 5 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during May. The best way to get directions is to Google COSCO and enter "Avon" for the location - there's a button for directions you can get door to door. Good luck - hope you can make it. Thanks.