Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Any tips on keeping spigots and hoses from leaking?

I have bought what I thought was all the necessary paraphernalia to keep watering the garden problem free but the problems keep popping up in one area or another. I've got the quick connect on the nozzles and the ends of the hoses and the soaker hoses. I've got the Y connector on the spigot. I bought multiple selector trigger hoses just about every year and none of them lasted longer than one season, so I got sick of it and I bought those simple brass twist nozzles. I bought a water powered hose reel that is a snap to reel in the hose. Now the spigot on the house is leaking and the hose that connects to the hose reel leaks and I'm not enjoying my twist nozzles because I am so used to having a shower setting. Am I the only one with these watering blues? [g]

Comments (13)

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Make sure that you replace the washers every year and don't over-tighten them.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

What cloud 9 said. It's a quick, cheap fix, and it is always what is the cause of hose leaks (Except when they've been run over by the lawnmower or are so old the entire thing blows apart!) I've never used the quick connect ones, but I'd bet that they have washers, too. The washers on my hose are pink to begin with, but are pretty hard to see by the time I get around to replacing them.

• newfiewoofie
    13 years ago

Prairiemoon you brought a smile to my face today-I feel your pain. I beat myself up every year over the hoses and sprinklers and nozzles. Yes change the rubber washers on both ends of the hose and the all nozzles. Have you tried Dramm nozzles and sprayers? I have had great success with them-everything else I consider disposable.

Newfie..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh great, a name of a sprayer to try. I'll be looking for that Dramm brand, thanks Newfie! Sorry you find yourself in the same boat at times. It's not like it's a huge problem, but it's sort of like, well....water torture, drip, drip, drip. :-)

I really don't change the washers every year, but with the quick connects, most of the time the leaking I am having is not where a washer will help, but I will get in the habit of replacing them because as soon as I solve the other problems, I'm sure they will be the next thing to start leaking. [g]

The hose reel has it's own hose to connect to the spigot and yes, the end that connects to the spigot could use a new washer, but it's the other end where it connects under the reel that leaks and that end won't take a washer.

Plus the spigot itself is leaking around the handle and I think it needs replacing. I'll bet it's original to the house which is about 60 years old. Has anyone ever replaced their spigots? Maybe with one of those nice decorative ones? I hate to call a plumber just for that.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Then there is the problem of cheap faucets, made in China now. The only solution to this would be to have plumbing skills to be able to install new faucets every few years. However neither of us have these skills and getting a plumber to come way out here in the styx (sticks?) is like pulling teeth. I have one faucet at present that leaks onto the cellar floor (with a bucket placed under it) so I cannot leave the outdoor garden hose on, but must turn the cellar faucet on and off every time I want to use the outdoor hose. Aggravating, but maybe good exercise running up and down those stairs several times a day.

Now don't get me started on cheaply made screen/storm door latches!

I agree though, that replacing the washers is the solution to most leaking garden hoses.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

spedigree, We are also turning off our spigot in the basement when we are through with the water. [g] I didn't realize there was a problem with cheap china faucets. When I read that, I started thinking maybe it would be better to try to fix ours. So I googled Outdoor Spigots and saw some video hits. YouTube has a Bob Villa video on how to repair them. It seems to be a case of changing a different washer inside the stem of the spigot. It shows how to take it apart. I called my hardware store and they do sell the parts. He said to turn the water off, and get the stem off and bring it with us to the hardware store and they can find the right washer for it. We are going to try it on Saturday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Repair a Dripping Outdoor Faucet

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Good luck, Prairiemoon. I hope the faucet repair works for you. I've had faucets repaired and replaced in the past and that always bought me 3 to 5 years of trouble-free plumbing. (Our out*door warm water hose is still functional after repairs a couple years ago.) I don't think the problem is with the quality of repair work, but rather with the cheesy plumbing parts that are on the market now. Now I'm waiting for more needed repairs to surface before trying to engage a plumber to fix the cold water out*door faucet, so it will be more worth his while and worth my effort to get a plumber to come out to perform multiple repairs.

(There is pretty much a problem with everything now, since it all is made in China. I remember plumb*ing parts from my childhood and young adult years that lasted forever it seemed. Very few plastic parts, mostly metal, which held up for decades. Now they're likely to need replacement or repair after 3-5 years.)

Again, best of luck. I know what a pain it is to deal with leaky faucets.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Newfie, thank you for that DRAMM recommendation. I saw one at a nursery this past weekend and bought it. It is working great!! I really missed the shower function. [g] I have retired the brass nozzle to the drawer as a backup. I also changed the w*ashers in the hose today and things are looking up. Thanks again!

Spedigrees, I have an update. We watched that video about fixing the spigot and tried working on it. We had both spigots, front and back leaking and the valve inside the basement that turns off the water to the spigot was dripping too. [g] DH took part of the front spigot to the Hardware store and they gave him new w*ashers that fit it. And a new w*asher for the valve in the basement. Both of those are fixed and have stopped leaking. The back spigot which is the worst, he didn't get off because the screw is stripped. So that is still dripping but barely. When we have a little more time, we are going to get that off and replace it. We found another video showing how to do that.

Now that the spigots are getting better and I have a new nozzle. I went out to water this morning, happy as a clam, I started to wash out the birdbath and I heard a rush of water behind me and looked over at the hose reel....would you believe it was gushing water?! I shut off the water and unraveled the entire hose. There are two on the reel and it looked like the second hose was no longer connected to the first hose. Because it broke off! I had to take the hoses off the reel and fool around with the hose and the quick connects and the washers and ended up having to ditch the first hose and connect the hose to the spigot to use it today. Another water related job for next weekend!

Brother! Is there such a thing as a water curse? lol.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Oh Prairiemoon, I feel your frustration! But I applaud yours and your hubby's efforts and ingenuity in doing the plumbing repairs yourselves. In light of the success you had repairing the faucets, you should be easily able to conquer the one remaining stripped faucet. It sounds like a new garden hose might be in your future though. I'm trying to get one more season out of ours, but ya never know when it will decide to go the way yours did.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

spedigrees, we had a plumber at the house for another issue last year and asked him to take a look at the spigot. He tightened it with a wrench and said it was good to go and it started leaking within a week. When I found the video that showed how to stop a leak in a spigot I couldn't believe what he should have done! So you might as well fix it yourself. [g]

Yes, that hose is a throw away but it was a cheap one. That will teach me. The other hose is a rubber hose from Sears that has lasted us probably 10 years already.

• newfiewoofie
    13 years ago

Glad you found the DRAMM. I have the DRAMM long wand for watering hanging baskets and other things and a lovely 6 pattern nozzle thing. Both are 3 years old and have not leaked-not even once. I just had my front and back yard hydroseeded and bought brand new impact sprinkers with new hoses to water and after 2 weeks every one is leaking, sprouting, and spitting grrrrr. But at least the grass is growing :)

Keeping the 2 Newfies off the areas is a challenge though-but that is a problem of my own making.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Prairiemoon, your plumber sounds like a loser! :-(

Our hose was one of those with a liner so they are safe for drinking water (which I need to fill the dogs' kiddie pool/big water dish) so it may have been made tougher. I've had it about 10 years but its time is coming I fear.

Newfie, are you sure your dogs aren't using your new hoses as chewy toys!? lol

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Newfie, I'm not experienced with those impact sprinklers, I am guessing that there is adjustments that take care of that, I hope! I'm glad you're grass is growing now that it's starting to get warmer. Perfect timing!

I can't imagine trying to keep not one but TWO Newfies from wreaking havoc in a garden! I am picturing this tag team effect when you are trying to deal with them. [g]

Spedigrees, I don't remember where we got his name, but it was just for a clogged drain, so I'm glad to know based on the spigot, not to call him back for anything else.

So glad to have gotten a good rain over the past couple of days and don't have to worry about watering at all. :-)