Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

What is this dainty and lovely 'weed'?

I love this thing. (I know what the dandelion is. It's the pretty lilac/white with yellow center I'm wondering about.) I see them growing in neglected places often. Please don't tell me it's a pest, and tell me how I can get seeds. I may not have any more flowers left to go to seed if I keep getting these sweet bouqets!

Comments (15)

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

I'm too lazy to look up the latin name, but it sure looks like a "bluet" or "quaker lady" to me. I like to think of it as a field wildflower, not a weed.
    marie/idaberan

• lschibley
    13 years ago

From April 30, 2010

Is the plant behind the daffodils the same? If it is, I am not sure what it is, but have plenty of it. I can bring a few chunks to the NH swap, if you would like.

Lisa

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

They're exactly what Marie said - bluets - native wildflowers which I mow around.

Bluets (Quaker Ladies)
    Houstonia caerulea (Hedyotis caerulea)
    Â Family: Madder (Rubiaceae)
    Â Habitat: fields
    Â Height: 2-8 inches
    Â Flower size: 1/2 inch across
    Â Flower color: pale blue to white, yellow center
    Â Flowering time: April to July
    Â Origin: native

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Lisa - Yup, it's the same. Grows just fine in full sun and poor soil (it's a volunteer around the edge of our volleyball court, but gets shaded out in the perennial bed.)

I'm not sure if it's a perennial, biennial or a self-seeding annual.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, you all are absolutely right. I suppose it's time to rescue the ones left in our yard and see if I can get them in the garden. lshibley, I'd love a clump at the swap. They look GREAT behind your daffodils!

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Oh, that's one of my favorites, though I like the white too. Never knew the name. I've got lots of them in the lawn this year (as well as violets and clover - everything but grass).

I don't know about the swap, and I don't really have anything to swap (3 yr old house). DH mentioned some river birch he needs to move but those may be too big to bring to a swap. Is anyone here from northern Hartford/southern Litchfield county?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

ajsmama, you can always come to the CT swap!

:)
    Dee
    who also has bluets and everything but grass in her "lawn"!

Here is a link that might be useful: CT spring swap

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Well, I should say I *had* lots of violets - DH mowed them all down. It was quite lovely in the backyard with the wide swath of purple. I found one white violet in the front that he missed. The bluets oddly enough seem to have been spared, as well as the dwarf cinquefoil (flowers are cute but the vines are invasive as far as I'm concerned).

We had a lot of the bluets in the old tomato patch (along with clover). I forgot to tell him to try to leave them when he cleared out the foot-tall clover so I could plant lilacs there. Don't know where he dumped everything - didn't see it in compost.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Those are really cute - I've never seen them! I'll have to be on the lookout for some; thanks for showing them to us and for all the info.

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

I'm glad you asked the question! I've always seen them, and admired them as "the little flowers little kids pick for mom on Mother's day" but never knew what they were.

And I'm probably the only person on the planet that thinks a large, open, unmowed lawn covered in dandelions is gorgeous.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

mmqc, I wish you lived next door to me, lol! I wouldn't feel so guilty about my so-called lawn. All my neighbors have beautiful lawns and I always feel guilty on their behalf.

My bluets aren't nearly as lovely as Lisa's. I have a patch that comes up every year, but they are spread out within this patch and not anywhere near as thick and eye-catching and blue. Maybe I should actually try to transplant some to an area with better soil.

Dee

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Dee - where are you? You can have some of mine (esp. if I find the ones DH dug out still surviving somewhere).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I would enjoy those Bluets in my lawn too! They're very cute! I have violets and dandelions and moss and clover in the lawn, but I really don't enjoy the dandelions, but they're ok. I might like the bluets better than the dandelions. [g]

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mmqchsdlfkjfk, I love a lawn of dandelions now, too. Last year they were the traditional weed, but the kids love them. This year my daughter, who loves those "stuck in the mountains and I survived" books is all into edible plants. Since the dandelion is an edible delicacy, loved by the kids, and looks just beautiful against the rich green lawns, I have decided dandelions are now garden tenants. No more digging them up!

My nasturtiums you gave me are growing well in a container. I can't wait to see them bloom after seeing that picture you posted on another thread, and now you've gotten me all interested in nasturtiums!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

ajsmama, thanks for the kind offer, but I just need to transplant what I have or amend the soil a bit where they are. Actually, they are at the edge of the lawn, near the driveway, and people actually park on top of them! The soil is awful and compacted, and I'm amazed that anything grows. I almost wonder if I move them if it might be TOO fertile for them!

Deanna, I just took a second look at your original photo, and realized that the yellow flowers are dandelions - they look great with the bluets, lol! They really bring out the yellow centers!

Dee