Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farewell to a tree

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 20:35

We had tree work done this week. We had to remove the silver maple in the front yard due to our solar panels. While we had the tree guy here, we also removed 6 whitepine and 2 invasive ailanthus. It was quite a site to watch. Especially the removal of the ailanthus in the backyard.

We had a cherry picked and a crane. Most of the trees were taken down in 2 cuts - first the tree top and then the trunk.
 photo IMG_5990_zps58bf795f.jpg

Scoping out the ailanthus down by the pond.
 photo IMG_6000_zps12794fa0.jpg

The red thing is the hoist of the crane - the climber uses the cable and hoist to get to the tree top if he can't use the bucket truck.
 photo IMG_6002_zpsb52f540c.jpg

Here he is getting up to the second ailanthus.
 photo IMG_6035_zps1811ed8c.jpg

The top of the ailanthus is secured, the climber is cutting off the top.
 photo IMG_6013_zps5913f733.jpg

Up comes the tree top.
 photo IMG_6015_zpsdccf2de6.jpg

photo IMG_6017_zpsddf6aae4.jpg

Over the roof of the house
 photo IMG_6019_zps23b1f623.jpg

And down in the side yard to be limbed and chipped. You can see the pile of pine trunks in the background - from the 6 pines that were removed.
 photo IMG_6021_zps692504c8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farewell to a tree

Wow. I don't know what made my stomach flip more - the worker hanging in mid-air, or half a tree hanging in mid-air over your roof!

What a beautiful pond you have in back! What is the triple-trunked tree that is there? Hopefully it still IS there? LOL. It's quite lovely.

Dee

o

Great photos. It never would have occurred to me that the tree guys would use a crane to "fly" the trees out.

It will be interesting to see how this effects your solar gain also.

o

Cool photos - thanks for posting them.

o

dee - that's our old apple tree. We get a few apples every year. the tree good use a good pruning - lots of dead limbs on it.

yes - it was pretty freaking watching these huge trees fly over my house!

o

I hope he painted the trunk of that Ailanthus with herbicide after cutting it. When you cut down Ailanthus altisima it sends signals throughout its rhizomes that stimulate growth along the nodes on the rhizome. As a result you end up with lots of little Ailanthus trees sprouting all over the place. The rhizomes I dug out when I cut mine down went all the way across my lawn, at least 40 feet. It takes a while but you can kill it. It took me 3 years.

Steve

o

Wow! I haven't seen anything so scary as the photo of the tree top being lifted by the crane over your rooftop, Pixie! (Not since seeing our house raised up to put in the new foundation, that is!) It looks like they accomplished a big job professionally and quickly.

I was surprised to see that your home is in a suburban setting. From your garden photos around the pond, I had envisoned a rural landscape. Your back yard is a bucolic oasis in any case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here