Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

CT Swap Part II

ctlady_gw
10 years ago

Continuing our saga...

Hedy's right -- too long to scroll! Here's a link to the earlier thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/neweng/msg031128589557.html?122

Has anyone called Wolfe Park to make sure we can descend on them? (I'm never quite sure why we have to ask although I guess maybe because it's a town, not a state, park? ...) Weather should be nice so we probably ought to make sure no one has reserved the Grove?

Here is a link that might be useful: CT Plant Swap Part I

Comments (40)

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Marty di you bring the leopard's bane last year? If so, could you spare a piece this spring?

I can bring campanula Elizabeth. It's similar to cherry bells but a little less rambunctious.

I would love any of the spreading ferns. I need to fill in the woodland.

Hedy

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

OK, I just called and spoke to a gal in the parks and rec dept. and explained how we do this 2 hour plant swap in the spring and fall, on the pool side of Wolfe Park, use only a couple of picnic tables, no fires,etc.,only there about 2 hours and we leave nothing behind. She said it should be fine for this Sunday, the 19th, 11a.m. If there is a problem, she'll call me back.

I have to swap:
    Genista, Bangle Dyers Greenwood - 2 each in 1 qt.size pots
    Lespedeza (Bush Clover) - 3 gal. size pot
    Spirea - Neon (blooms pink) pale green/yellow leaves (not gold) 1, maybe 2 plants to offer, each in 1 qt. size pots
    Shasta Daisy - 2 each, in 1 qt. pots

Am interested in creeping sedums (Yes, to John Creech, Marty, if no one has requested it)

Jane

This post was edited by corunum on Thu, May 16, 13 at 12:21

• siennact
    10 years ago

I still have available (if you already asked for it I dug one for you already, but feel free to remind me):

Lamb's Ear
    Goat's beard
    Variegated Solomon's seal
    A perennial sunflower that the name escapes me, not Maximillian, shorter
    Shasta daisies
    Obedient plant (pink)
    Vinca, regular or variegated

Marty, did you say you need variegated hosta?
    Keep posting requests, I have others that I haven't thought of, I'm sure.

tina

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Jane, could I have one of the genistas? I had to leave one at my other house. I can bring some sedum cuttings in baggies and you can just stick them in the ground. Any other requests while I'm digging?

Hedy

• moliep
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jane, for confirming Wolfe Park. See you there!

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you, Jane.

Hedy, I can bring a few sprouts of the fern for you.

-Tina

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Yes Jane, thank you!

This is what I've got for folks. Please let me know if I missed anyone!

Richie - echinacea, perennial foxgloves, daisy

Tina (Tina n Sam) - echinacea, perennial foxgloves, dwarf purple iris, leptodermis oblonga

Molie - perennial foxglove, dwarf purple iris

Marty - geranium Claridge Druce.

I still have up for grabs: lily of the valley, cimicifuga racemosa, Blue Muffin viburnum, native goldenrod.

Now I need to think about food....

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hedy, I can bring some leopard's bane as well as ferns -- do you have a preference (i.e., NO hayscented, or don't you care? I know I have those, plus Christmas ferns. Could dig you some woodland ferns (look like NY ferns or Lady Ferns) if you like).

I would love to try the campanula -- anything "less rambunctious" than "Cherry Bells" would be welcome... it is SO beautiful when in bloom but oh my, does it ever "travel"...

Jane, I never even heard of genista?! -- if no one else speaks up (since I've already asked for a lot of stuff), I'll take one. Otherwise, I'll let one of the newcomers have a shot at it. And you are welcome to the John Creech. (Thanks for checking with Wolfe ... good info to have. I think where we meet is technically called the "Oak Grove" or some such?)

I would love variegated hostas and solomon seal.

I have a small spirea 'Goldmound' I can bring (small plant, BIG root ball) if anyone wants it. I also have a small pot of Creeping Jenny and another small one of another creeping sedum whose name escapes me at the moment (will label for Jane and if she doesn't want it, she can put it on the "freebie" table).

Going out to dig some more... too gorgeous to stay in!

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did anyone say they had eupatorium? I am looking at my butterfly garden and not seeing much of my patch from previous years ... I know it's late out of the chute, but shouldn't it be up and filling in by now? (No sign of the baptisia yet, either... I'm feeling cursed!)

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Jane, thank you for calling. I always thought you had to live in Monroe to reserve time at the park.
    Marty, I will be bringing chocolate eupatorium. a couple of people asked for it but I'll add more. I also have a euphorbia that you may like.
    The camp. Elizabeth does spread but for some reason it's in one area with some leaps and bounds each year.
    I'll take any ferns. You don't have to pot them just put them in a bag. I have stairs going through the woodland and now that all the leaves are gone, I have some hostas and a lot of open spaces

I can bring small shrublets of kerria 'golden guinea'. Google it to see a pic. I think it's gorgeous in the spring.

Hedy

• molie
    10 years ago

Please let me know if I've forgotten anyone:

Hedy, I've marked a Hellebore for you.

Marty, I have a Cornus alba 'Bailhalo' (red twig dogwood) and a Hellebore for you.

Emma, I've marked a Pennisetum "Hameln' for you.

Tina, you'll get a Dianthus 'Heart Attack', a Hellebore, an Oenothera 'Siskyou' and a baby Lady's Mantle.

I still have several Hellebores, 2 of Dianthus 'Heart Attack', 2 Gallium odoratum (Jane, there's more where that came from if you want it!), more red twig dogwoods, several Oenothera 'Siskyou' plants, I more Hameln grass and 1 (small) Panicum Shennadoah switch grass (this is a beauty when mature with red ends to the stems ---- a standout against the setting sun) and 1 Veronica 'Waterperry Blue'.

Molie

There may be more but I'm not counting pots in the dark!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Hedy, I'd love a kerria if you still have one. Always wanted to try this and just never got around to it.

Molie I can always use more sweet woodruff, so if no other takers please put one aside for me.

Thanks!
    Dee

• molie
    10 years ago

Dee, it's yours!

Molie

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Molie -- if you have an extra oenothora, I would like one :) If no one else wants the Shenandoah, put my name on it ... but let someone else have it if anyone else is interested (but DON'T let it go to waste -- it would look great in my ornamental grass bed... sounds like a beautiful fall splash!)

Here's my "For" list (pls. correct me if I've left you or something you asked for out!)

Dee: mystery hydrangeas (I have 3 that may or may not be: Limelight, 'Quickfire' and Blue Billow ... who knows)

Molie: Campanula 'Cherry Bells', Pulmonaria

Carl: Pulmonaria, Stella d'Oro daylilies, Coreopsis 'Zagreb'

Emma: Bleeding hearts (pink and white - the white is bigger)

Richie: Stella d'Oros for your neighbor

Hedy: ferns (Christmas, Lady, hayscented), leopard's bane

Jane: Sedum 'John Creech' and (1 small pot) Sedum kamschaticum (groundcover)

Any interest in the small Spirea 'Goldmound'? I have plenty of sweet woodruff, too -- I don't know if any is still needed but I can dig some. It seems to grow wild in my woods which is lovely...

Decided the tres leches cake was going to be too messy for this affair, so I'll do a different cake -- probably chocolate. No time this weekend for much in the way of creative baking :) I think people usually bring their own drinks but I can bring Arizona iced teas and waters in a cooler - I have a bunch. I'll bring name tags as well... those help!

• molie
    10 years ago

Marty, I'm glad you're taking the 'Shenandoah' even though it's a baby. In no time at all she'll be glorious like the one we still have. Here are two Sept. 2011 photos of the remaining 'Shenandoah' down by the river. The first pic, taken from kind of above, shows its golden seed heads and general shape.

In the next photo the red shades at the tips show better.

And, yes, I'll have an extra Onoethera for you.

Molie

• molie
    10 years ago

Emma, here's the only pic I have of 'Hameln'. It's taken from a distance; 'Hameln' is the low grass in front of the pink clematis behind the arbor post on the right. It was always one of my DH's favorites but outgrew that spot. For anyone else interested, I have one more left.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Molie, I'm very intrigued by your "shed". Is that just chain link fencing camouflaged with lattice and with a roof? It looks great, and must have been a lot cheaper than buying/building a shed.

Dee

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

Hedy - Genista for you
    Marty - Genista for you - it's nearly ready to bloom (yellow)

Jane

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Was out digging and see that I have a bigger clump of Claridge Druce (geranium) than I thought, so I have a second one to share if anyone wants one.

Dee

• molie
    10 years ago

Dee--- yes, that's exactly what we have there! When we bought the house, the owners had a cement-bottomed and chain-linked covered dog pen in the back. Our neighbors love the metal roof because it rattles in the stormy winds--- their son said, "Never take that down. I love the sound of it in the winter."

My DH covered all the sides and the door with lattice. Kind of made lemonade out of lemons. We grow clematis up 3 sides.

Molie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Well, Molie, that was a great idea. It really looks rather charming. I might try the same thing - have always yearned for a nice shed but it's just low on the list of priorities!

RIchie, did you want any of the dwarf purple iris? Can't remember...

I don't suppose anyone wants any lily of the valley? I saw it offered above but haven't see any takers so far.

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Well, I'm starting to feel downright piggy, but Marty, I am interested in the spirea goldmound. I have a friend who has a few of these (I think) in her garden and (I think)she wants to add a few more. If you are getting rid of one I will take it for her, if no one else wants it.

Thanks!
    Dee

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee -- I have two small ones (small leaf out, large root mass) and you are welcome to both if you want them. I also just spent this morning working in one of the town gardens and we pulled a HUGE one out. I thought to myself that "someone" could cut it back and replant it and it might be just fine. (They seem indestrucible.). It's enormous, so if I have time, I will cut it back and bring you the truncated plant and roots. It was in a terrible location so did poorly but has new leaves this spring so it's alive. I bet anything it would leaf back out into a quite large shrub in short order.

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hedy -- just dug another half dozen ferns from the woods down by the brook so I have about a dozen with the ones in pots. Three kinds (Christmas, Lady, Hayscented) Do you want any of the "sensitive" fern (Onoclea sensibilis)? I have plenty of those, too but didn't dig any ... Not everyone likes them. Let me know if you want any -- I can dig some tomorrow.

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

Marty, thank you for all that work but I don't think I'll be able to plant too much more. I actually didn't want to come home with anything. I guess best laid plans......

I think I'm done digging now I just have to label everything.

Hedy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

"... I actually didn't want to come home with anything..."

Heh, heh, yeah... that's what I always say, lol. But actually, this swap, I'm looking forward to a few things for a change.... a FEW things....

Thank you Marty. But don't go to too much trouble (or time) with the giant spirea - at least for my sake. Like I said I'm not even sure if my friend wants to add any, or how many. I'm thinking one, maaaaaybe two, will more than do it for her garden. Certainly if someone else is interested that's another story, but don't put yourself out for me.

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spirea's actually done -- but it's BIG!! I will bring the two smaller ones if you aren't sure about it (as it will take a lot of room in the car). It came out rather nicely shaped if I say so myself :)

Hedy -- the good things about the dozen or so ferns I am bringing are (1) you don't have to take them all, and (2) if you do, and you're like me and leave them somewhere unattended for several months, it is nice to know they will be JUST fine. They take abuse wonderfully. You could actually (I have done this, too) just plunk them on the ground, toss some leaves or compost over them, and they will settle right in and be happy as clams. I'll bring them and you can take them or leave them... but I won't dig the sensitives.

• siennact
    10 years ago

Molie, you said above-
    "Tina, you'll get a Dianthus 'Heart Attack', a Hellebore, an Oenothera 'Siskyou' and a baby Lady's Mantle."
    I think I am the first three plants and the baby Lady's Mantle is the other Tina. I think.

I am bringing soda. No gourmet cooking around here, I'm lucky if I have time to shower.

tina

• hunt4carl
    10 years ago

Marty -

You can dump the "GIANT" spirea in my car. . .I've
    really become a fan of all the gold leaved spireas,
    especially that beauty "Magic Carpet" that George
    gave me a couple of years ago.

Sorry, folks, that there hasn't been an actual plant list from down south, but my Spring season has been
    particularly intense, for a multitude of reasons. But I
    am intending to show up, probably with odd things
    like Celadine poppies, a Kumson forsythia, hopefully
    some more Hydrangea 'Nikko Blue', a few Viola labrador. . .and, of course, variegated hostas for
    Marty!

Carl

• Richard Dollard
    10 years ago

Dee, I'll take some of that dwarf iris too. Thanks

• molie
    10 years ago

Ooops, sorry --- I did not know that there were two Tinas.

Molie

• Richard Dollard
    10 years ago

Bring your rain slickers and umbrellas with you, scattered showers happening now but the weather guy says don't cancel your plans.

• molie
    10 years ago

Just checked Weather Channel --- cloudy in Monroe until about 2 pm when showers will begin again. Should be okay, just cloudy and colder, typical Springtime weather for this this year in CT.

• casey1gw
    10 years ago

There's a covered picnic area by the lake that we've used in the rain. Since no one else will be there we should set up there.

• Richard Dollard
    10 years ago

Sounds good

• moliep
    10 years ago

Was the swap cancelled?? We're at Wolfe Park but there's no one else?

Molie

• ctlady_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Despite gloomy, drippy weather (which as gardeners, of course, we WELCOME!), the diehard and dedicated CT Plant Swappers gathered at Wolfe Park's Oak Grove for a great spring swap! Great food, plants and friends -- both old and new -- were plentiful and a great time was had by all (a few had to leave early and missed the photo op!)

See you all in the fall!

Thanks to everyone (and to Jane for the photo) ...

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the picture. And, a big thank you to everyone for the plants!

Since the sun came out, I went outside to put some in the ground.

Nestled among the pots of plants and laying on top of a bag of cone flowers, was a momma possum and babies.

She was hit by a car late Saturday or early Sunday morning. We tried to rescue her but she went into the neighbor's yard. Since it was 1AM, we let her go.

She has now found her way into my back yard. Her left eyeball is hanging out on her face. I called the wildlife rehabilitator and left a message. I'm on pins and needles wishing there is more I can do for her. I put out some towels and a cardboard box. She did crawl inside but came back out when I put canned dog food and milk out for her.

I am leaving her alone until someone professional get back to me.

Wish her and her babies luck!
    -Tina

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

I really hope the momma possum and babies get professional care, Tina. It's good of you to try to help them; the wildlife rehabilitator was the right person to contact.

Claire

• molie
    10 years ago

Keep us posted on momma possum and her little ones. Hopefully you'll get some help and advice.

Molie