Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Connecticut 2009 Spring Swap/Part 2

ego45
14 years ago

Since we reached a limit of 150 posts on old thread I take a liberty to start extention on it.

Richie,

I have some volunteer seedling of Acer palmatum of unknown origin because I have nothing like it in my garden. Doesn't look like it might be anything dwarf, but if you are interested I could bring it for you. Also have loopsided small Pieris 'Rosea' if you want to baby and train it.

Comments (129)

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    14 years ago

Carl would love the - Hydrangea serrata "Blue Billow"
    and Geranium "Claridge Druse" (lavender/pink)
    Hydrangea of any species would be great!
    Monique: please tag a Hydrangea 'Mariesii Variegata' for me , if still available. Thanks in advance.

And I also have room for plenty of herbs veggies, peppers and green squash etc!
    Mad Gallica would love a Blue Fescues
    Laughter would love melon and pepers

Anybody bringing any books for some of us less educated on species and such? Just so we have a little something to reference?

Does anybody know if the last post was deleted? Can't seem to find it? I need some forgotten notes??
    Offering:
    Leek and yellow crooked neck seeds
    thyme plant
    Euonymus shrubs
    a few native garlics also
    And some chives
    PS Next Meeting, lets find a Park that allows spiked beverages!

• noticklish
    14 years ago

Hedy- would also like to try the tanacetum niveum 'jackpot' if you have one. Thanks.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

I am bringing quite a few maiden grass and lots and lots of pumpkin seedlings. I also have 4 very small blue princess holly bushes that I started last year. One is about 3" and they other are about 1" tall. If anyone wants any, I will be happy to bring them along. Richie

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Hrumph! No alcohol. So, I guess I'll just be parked at the entrance from
    10:30am onward offering everyone a quick flute of champagne BEFORE they
    enter the Park. . .

Sorry, Bertman, but the sole Hydrangea 'Blue Billow' that I have was snapped
    up about 89 posts ago. . .if you'd like one badly enough, I'll layer another branch this summer and bring you one at the Fall Swap.

Monique, I see that your Weston's 'Lemon Drop' evaporated almost immediately (people must actually check this site every ten minutes during
    "Swap Season" !). . .if you just "happen" to have another one, of course, I'd be more than happy to give it a home. . .

Carl

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

bertman - it has just gotten pushed to the next page. Here is the link, but as a reference it is always available through the first link on the Info: Meet, Greet, Eat thread

Here is a link that might be useful: first swap thread

• noticklish
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a stewartia tree sapling or seeds?
    Or maybe pulmonaria, bergenia, or tradescantia?
    I'm usually on the lookout for flowering plants (and mini hostas)that like a moist spot in part sun.
    I have a piece of blue seibold elegans hosta up for grabs.

• kanani
    14 years ago

i'm planning to join you guys for the first time and am really looking forward to it. i'll plan to bring: raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, extra veggie seedlings (if they're looking decent), as well as herb divisions - the ubiquitous lemon balm, bronze fennel, marjoram, valerian, and silver king artemisia. i'll pot up some rose of sharon, too, for any takers.

i'd be interested in any of the following that were offered before (if there's still one to spare): hens and chicks, anise hyssop, jacob kline monarda, hollyhock, cardoon, pumpkin, and perennial sunflower.

can't wait.
    kanani

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Kanani -- I have a large pot of anise hyssop for you. I'd like to try the Valerian if there's enough.

I still have several small rooted Spiraea x billiardii from last fall. And plenty of campanula "Cherry Bells" and purple monarda plus ribbon grass.

Richie -- I'll take one of your baby Princesses if no one else speaks up. (That Korean lilac "baby" you gave me a few swaps back is a sturdy three feet tall now!)

Noticklish -- if the blue siebold hosta goes unclaimed, I'd love it, but since I'm already getting a hosta from you (albomarginata), I'll let someone else have a shot at it first... Also, I am going to try to get you a piece of the lobelia cardinalis; it's coming up slowly, but it's there. I'll have to see what happens when I try to divide it.

Lucia -- "dorky" nametags sound great, thanks for bringing them!

/ Marty

• noticklish
    14 years ago

It looks like rain for Sunday morning- will that alter the plans at all?
    Marty- I have two of the blue hosta to bring-I'll tag one.

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Noticklish -- thanks!

As for rain, I would say off-and-on showers (or a steady LIGHT rain) and we go anyway. Heavy downpour, I don't know... but the forecast looks like it's in the shower category (40 percent?) Don't know when else we would do it since the next weekend is Memorial Day and after that the park charges a rental fee.

Anyone have other thoughts? We could consider shifting the time a bit if the forecast looks like it will get better by noon (say) or something, but I think we've usually said rain or shine (excluding torrential rain or dangerous storms). Actually preferable (in my book) to those 90 degree plus days we had a few weeks back!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

This is at the lake, right? There's a big pavilion there we could shelter under.

So long as we have a roof, and the weather isn't dangerous, I don't see a problem.

• aeiger
    14 years ago

Wouldn't be the first time we swapped under the pavilion. Keeps the plants moist. /Abi

• suebot
    14 years ago

Monique-

I would be interested in the Hemerocallis 'Hyperion'.

Thanks,
    suebot

• greenbug
    14 years ago

noticklish- Will you please tag the other blue hosta for me?

ctlady- I will take one of each of the Spiraea x billiardii, campanula "Cherry Bells", purple monarda , ribbon grass.

kanani - I will take one of each of what you have to offer.

Thanks guys, can't wait till Sunday.

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

Hey, Sunday is three days away - anything can happen! We ordered nice weather didn't we?

The first swap I went to was on a cold and rainy day. It was switched from the upper park of the park to the lower lake part - much more of a logistical dilemma. I forget whose husband was stationed at the upper park to redirect traffic, but I hope he milked those brownie points for a while!

Nowadays we are in the same vicinity so it will not be a big deal to have people set up at the lake pavilion if it seems appropriate at 11:00. If it is raining we will have the place to ourselves. So dress warmly and wear your sunniest smile or tree_oracle may get wind of it!

: D

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

LOL, Deb, on your last sentence!

Yes, the very first swap I went to was at Wolfe Park in the rain. Had a great time!

I don't think it will rain as hard on Sunday as it did that swap a few years ago.

:)
    Dee

• noticklish
    14 years ago

Ok big blue elegans hosta for greenbug and marty.
    I'm bringing some other unnamed ones as well.
    If anyone has pink/purple or red flowered astilbe please keep me in mind.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Marty,
    I will bring a few hollies for you to look at. BY the way, did the cranberry make it through the winter? I am also bringing the pyracantha seeds. I potted some up about a 3-4 weeks ago and still no sign of them poppong threw yet. I have another batch of hollies coming up for the fall or for next years swap. Richie

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks, Richie! And yes, the cranberry came through just fine. I'd mulched it heavily with pine needles and when I uncovered it, there were lots of new leaves (WEE little leaves!) My hillside is a natural spring "weep" (there's a spring up above us somewhere) -- it's wet all the time, and after it rains, it's REALLY wet. So wet that if you try to pull out a dandelion, not only does the WHOLE root come right out without any effort, it does so with a quite discernible sucking sound (sort of "schlurrppp"). Cranberry should be happy as a clam! ;)

• uhry
    14 years ago

Hi All,

I guess I am a little late in posting but my Dad and I will be coming to the swap this Sunday.

We will bring the following:
    Lilly of the valley
    Bleeding Heart
    Some assorted ferns and hostas
    Mayapple

Would like if still avaialable:
    Mad gallica: If you have any virginia bluebells my father would love some.

ctlady: Those "Cherry bells" look nice if you have any I love to give them a try. I will try to see if I can find any triliums in my backyard. Not sure if I can find any among all of the weeds in my backyard but I will try to find one.

carl18: The Chasmanthium latifolium would be nice for my Dad not sure if they have all been spoken for.

javaandjazz: My kids would gt a kick out of growing their own pumpkins and the maiden grass would look nice next to my other grasses.

Hedy: if you have any daylilies left over I would love one.

Monique: If you have any Molinia "Skyracer" that would be nice.

noticklish and Kendra5 : My Dad and I love hostas and any you may have left would be great we will bring some from our collection for you and Greenbug.

katie gardener: you mentioned you like hostas as well so I will have some for you. If you have any tomtatoes or beans left over that would be great. My Dad started some vegtables but I think he started them too soon and they are not doing so well.

cat2: I am a sucker for daylillies if you have any left I would love some especially red. I think I may be able to find a jack-in-the-pulpit for you in my woods. They really are a cool plant.

Aeiger: If you have any Poppies left my Mom would love one.

I hope the weather holds out. My Dad and I are looking forward to seeing all of you again.

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Uhry -- I have PLENTY of Cherry Bells and will bring you some. I'd love one of your Mayapples for my little woodland glen.

Just on the off chance (little late to be asking but I didn't know I wanted these until this week!) ... does anyone happen to have any Spring Beauty (it's a native wildflower - Claytonia virginica)?

/ Marty

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

uhry,
    Got you down for pumpkins and maiden grass. Richie

• kanani
    14 years ago

ok, i have valerian for marty and one each of the plants for greenbug.

is anyone interested in a small trumpet vine? (small, but not for long ... it can get away from you if you don't control it).

• cansley
    14 years ago

Hi All (sorry incorrectly posted this to Part I earlier today...),

My name is Camille and I am part of a Green Space Group in New Haven who was referred to you to possibly donate any plants left over after the swap. This year we lost our funding due to budget cuts and are looking for donations for our community gardens and wine barrels (9) in the East Rock area in New Haven, CT. I was referred to you guys from a co-worker who said you guys may be a good resource. I can be reached at ansleyce@yahoo.com and can come down 5/17 if this is ok with your plant swap team.

Sincerely,
    Camille Ansley

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Wow, is echinacea really that prolific? I went outside today to dig up a *few* and realized they are *everywhere*! Either that or, knowing my terrible ID skills, I will be bringing weeds from my garden to share with everyone, lol.

Same with my digitalis grandiflora. There is a weed in my yard that is very similar, so hopefully I will be bringing the digitalis, and not the weed.

So, now that no one wants to risk taking anything from me...

Dee

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Camille -- I'll let others weigh in but I for one have no problem with letting you have leftover plants at the end of the swap (we usually end around 12:30-1). I sure don't want to bring anything back home that I brought and wasn't taken! It's a great cause (and I can well believe funding has been cut!)

Others?

Here is a link that might be useful: About the Greenspace and Community Gardens Program in NH

• greenbug
    14 years ago

uhry - Thank you for marking me down for the hostas. I am looking for some shade plants so would love the ferns, bleeding hearts too.
    Let me know if you would like anything from my tradelist.

• casey1gw
    14 years ago

Does anyone have any sage? I'm not sure about the colors of the daylilies. I knoe they're both tetraploids so they're very robust.

Hedy

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Hedy - I have several sage plants in the garden (think I got them from last year's swap) -- I can bring you one. It's plain garden (culinary) sage; is that what you're looking for?

/ Marty

• cat2
    14 years ago

Why is it that we come with our cars loaded and leave with them loaded, and yet there are always still unclaimed plants? Do they multiply at the swap when we aren't looking?
    Camille, I would think considering the way many of us end the swap wandering around offering the last of our plants like in the movie Oliver when the orphan is offered up at large- "anyone? anyone? please give this little plant a home- it needs a home and it will be a good little plant for you" we would be more than happy to give extras to you.

So, I have added to my list Kanani- hens n chics and Kuhri- daylily (red if I can get them out).

I would also like to add that I would love some dill, Marty, and is it fernleaf or regular?

Hedy, If you also have some geranium confetti to spare- I'm afraid I may have weeded mine out early this spring since I don't see it. I'll have to mark it this time.

Kanani- I think that if the trumpet vine is a red or salmon color I would be interested, I'm not so keen on yellow or orange.

Katie, I'm not certain I will have space for more tomatoes, but if there is a lucky leprechaun left at the end I may just change my mind. Right now the dependable early for me is Silvery Fir Tree. All my seedlings for everything are very small this year though, due to time issues. It seemed every time I wanted to work on starting seeds or caring for them something came up.

Uhry - may apple, which I just was shown by a neighbor with a couple, would do well I think under the trees, so if you have one or two, in addition to the jack in the pulpit-I'd appreciate it.

All right- I'm off to pot up stuff. I just want to warn the hens-n-chicks recipients that I've noticed less spreading, even fewer of them this year- I think they are getting choked out a bit by the spreading mums, but I'll do what I can.

Hedy, I brought the sage last year- about a dozen large plants. I don't have any more to give away since I only kept one small one, but maybe someone with extra or a larger one from that swap could split one for you.

I'll check again later or tomorrow.

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

If anyone has empty pots that they would like to get rid of I would appreciate it. Thanks!

• crabgrass_central
    14 years ago

Well, I had decided a long time ago I couldn't squeeze this in and probably wouldn't have anything to donate. I'm new to this, and still trying to "beef up" my garden. I also thought I'd have enough plants from winter sowing so I'd be good for the season.

Ha. I've admitted to myself this morning that winter sowing has been a bust and all I've got is empty beds and a lot of junked water jugs.

So, here I am thinking I should come, even though I don't have anything to swap, to learn and look. My husband will be with me, he loves plants (he's a fern freak!), and I guess we'll just grab something food-wise to bring and throw ourselves on the mercies of the good gardeners of Connecticut! My hope is to actually have gardens someday from which I can bring actual real plants, brown-thumb though I am.

I've browsed this thread as best as I can, and I don't even know if anyone will see this before tomorrow, me being late as usual. But if any of the following are leftover/available, I'd love:

ctlady's purple monarda

Carl18's Aster "Wood's Pink", Aster "Purple Dome", Solidago "Fireworks", and Geranium "Claridge Druse"

casey1's jacob cline bee balm, perennial sunflower (microcephalus, variegated geranium (ger. yoshinoi 'confetti'), and campanula latifolia

monique's Hemerocallis 'Hyperion' and Hemerocallis 'Woodside Amethyst'

Looking forward to learning and eating!

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

So here's my final (ha!) list of "from and for" requests. I may quite well have overlooked something you asked for -- if so, let me know.

FOR:

Lucie (silvergirl): Geranium Rozanne, dicentra spectabalis, cherry bells, pink unnamed lily
    Richie: purple monarda, geranium Rozanne
    Kendra: purple monarda, walking onions
    Suebot: monarda, rudbeckia, walking onions, obedient plant, DartÂs Ninebark
    Katie-gardener cherry bells, sedum AJ, Stella dÂOro, walking onions
    Anna (Greenbug): purple monarda, rudbeckia, lambs ear, Cherry Bells, ribbon grass, spirea x billardii
    Abi: purple monarda, rudbeckia, cherry bells, walking onions
    Janice: cherry bells
    Noticklish: cherry bells, obedient plant, Tovara, lobelia cardinalis, Blue Billow
    Bertman: purple monarda
    Bebe: dicentra spectabilis
    Laughter: cherry bells, monarda
    Leah: cherry bells, dill/fennel
    Uhry: cherry bells
    Hedy: sage
    Crabgrass_central: monarda
    Cat2: dill/fennel (no idea which)
    Kanani: anise hyssop

Abi: poppy
    George: liguralia
    Kendra: hosta Krossa Regal
    Notticklish: albomarginata hosta, trillium (if possible), blue seibold hosta
    Carl: Chasmanthium latifolium (oat grass), boltonia
    Monique: Molinia Skyracer (grass)
    Richie: Princess(es)
    Kanani: Valerian
    Uhry: Mayapple
    Tina: purple sage

Let me know if I've missed anyone. Cat2 -- no idea what kind of dill (or fennel) I have, but I'll bring a small pot for you.

Camille -- are the Community Gardens in New Haven food gardens or flower gardens or both?

• greenbug
    14 years ago

Leah & ctlady,

I read about the walking onions and I am intrigued. Do you by any chance have an extra that I may try?
    Thanks!

greenbug

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Anna -- Lots of walking onions. I'll walk down to the veggie garden and yank you a handful in the morning... if I forget, the pots I'm bringing for the others can easily be divided as there are multiple onions in each.

Camille -- if I'm pulling onions anyway, do you want any for the New Haven gardens? I could easily pull a whole row and have plenty left in my garden!

• katie_gardener
    14 years ago

good evening everyone!

so... last post before I get to meet you all! I am certainly looking forward to it.

Tart is in the refrigerator -- due for carmelization prior to my departure.

Chocolate - check

plants - although they may be few that I may have to offer (especailly after reading through and seeing all of the great plants that ya'll are bringing!!!) -- potted and planned for those that have requested... plus a couple extras.

My beds are ready for planting upon my return home... and I am just so excited to see how this all works out! :)

I will also bring a few plant books for reference. I think someone suggested that a while back but not sure who.

See you soon!

~ K

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

looks like a nice day out there this morning...ya right! meeting under the pavilion I guess?

• cat2
    14 years ago

I should hope so! BTW, I asked my neighbors if they still wanted to clear out some of the yellow iris- I'd love to take a couple to the swap. They dug up two buckets worth of them immediately! I must admit I took a few out and planted them in my yard, but there are still plenty to go around. I will just bring plastic bags for them since I'm not potting all those up!

Well, I'm off to get ready. See ya soon.

• cansley
    14 years ago

Good Morning All:

We do have a small veggie garden but most flowers gardens and nine large wine barrels. Thank you so much for your generosity and I will be around 12:30pm Sunday.

Camille

• kendra5
    14 years ago

what a delicious food swap, i'm so full i could die.......i mean what an exciting plant swap....i have enough new plants to keep me high!!!........enjoyed meeting you all it was great fun and i appreciate being able to try new and interesting things i havent tried before ...like petasites, white bleeding hearts, walking onions etc etc....thanks, kendra

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

If any of you want the recipe for the ginger spice sandwich cookies with lemon cream filling here it is. Just click on the link below. Glad you all liked the recipe! Richie

Here is a link that might be useful: ginger spice sandwich cookies with lemon cream filling

• crabgrass_central
    14 years ago

Bwahahaha, java, I came back to the thread to look something up about the plants I brought home, saw your link, and mentioned it out loud to my DH. "Forget the trillium, get the recipe."

So I did. :-)

Thank you everyone for the wonderful plants, especially the people whose contributions I know -- ctlady, carl18 and monique. What a great time! This newcomer is so glad to have ventured out to it!

• laughter
    14 years ago

Wow, what a great time!

To whomever it was who gave my daughter and her girlfriend the carnivorous plants- Thank you! She's so excited and intrigued by it... And this from the girl who says she doesn't like gardening! *happydance*

I brought home so much more than I thought I would. =) The food and company were wonderful!

I'll be back again for fall!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

"...I brought home so much more than I thought I would..."

Heh, heh, heh. Join the club! I was actually doing pretty good till I went over to George's car, lol. But I only came home with about 6 pots, so Deb, your pot ghetto is safe from me for awhile!

I had a great time as usual, but had to leave earlier than I had hoped. I feel like I barely got to talk to many of you - I think I literally just pretty much said hi and bye to Dena! So I hope to see you all again in the fall and talk some more.

And who knows? Maybe it will be warmer in October than it was today!

Dee

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

WOW - what a great turnout! Really yummy food too! A special thank you to our distant gardening pals for making the long drive! How wonderful, too, to see so many new faces!

Richie - thanks for posting the recipe link! They were top notch!

Dee - I thought I was giving you a sporting chance by only taking 4 pots (3 more than I planned for, but irresistible!) But, then I went and filled up all the pots that were brought for me. So now you are even further behind! ;-)

Deb

• cansley
    14 years ago

To All:

What a wonderful bunch...THANK YOU for all your plants I did start taking pictures ( to follow )and I just could not believe how many plants there were. All nine barrels are done, and both Rock gardens. Because of the weather the veggies and others are going to be planted at a later time.
    From everyone at East Rock Community Green Space Group
    Thank you!
    Camille

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Darn, I missed it! :(

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

...by 2 years.

;-)

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Yeah that's me. I always use the "search" and reply to really old stuff. LOL

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Sharbear, keep an eye out for our fall swap later this year!

Dee