Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Edging for patio

Posted by mamasalvo Z6 Centr Mass (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 20:55

I used mulch last year when the patio was new but the edging is a little pitched in some places so got a bit of run off into the stone. I was thinking of an edger that would be neat. Leaning toward ground phlox which I love hanging over my walls but not sure it would stay neat in a 6 to 8 inch depth. I also like the edge paver and phlox would likely cover it eventually. Any other ideas? I think I would like something that blooms.
Thanx in advance for your ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Edging for patio

What a lovely area!

How much sun does that area tucked under the tall perennials get?

If you don't want the plants spilling out onto the stone edging and patio, you probably don't want a spreader like phlox or thyme. How about coral bells/Heuchera? Or one of the low-growing clumping Campanulas/bluebells?

o

Very welcoming sitting area. What are the purple flowers? Baptisia? Heucheras are nice and I've enjoyed Veronica as a ground cover, but it always does better where it can get some sun. Not sure if that is the case at the base of those shrubs. But, it is a very well behaved ground cover and will not creep out of control. Heucheras on the other hand would not mind shade and they clump and don't creep. Thyme also likes sun and needs great drainage.

o

Hardy/perennial geranium 'Biokovo' forms a tidy mound and in my experience is reasonably long blooming & well behaved. I have it planted beside a concrete walkway and have observed it growing for several seasons. It's also maintenance free + apparently untroubled by pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here