Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

transplanting jack-in-the-pulpit

My friend has some gorgeous jack-n-the-pulpits this year - some are almost three feet tall! She usually has them, but this year seems to be a banner year. I even found one in one of my beds this year, for the first time ever.

However, they are not in convenient spots. Can these be moved easily? Is there a "right" time to do it?

Thanks!

Dee

Comments (10)

• cloud_9
    12 years ago

Dee - In my experience JitP, at least the native ones, are pretty hardy. Three winters in my pot ghetto speaks to that. If you transplant them now, and then they look like crap for the rest of the season, perhaps even disappearing eventually, don't fret, they usually will show up again next year. If I had to pick a time, I would guess that the Fall would be the best time to move them just like the rest of the Spring flowering bulbs. Just move them before they go dormant and you forget where they are (unless they fruit). If they are in more sun than optimal, that dormancy will be sooner rather than later. I guess you could always mark them really well, but what is the fun in that?
    : D

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hah! Me? Mark things really well? What, are you being sarcastic, lol?

I guess I'll wait. Yes, some are in quite a bit of sun, which surprised me. I'll keep an eye on them and when they start to go I'll move them.

I'll have to do a bit of research to find the optimal conditions for them. I don't want to lose these - especially the one in my garden!

Thanks Deb!
    Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

When I need to mark a plant (after many years of losing plants that go dormant) I've started using a triangle of short bamboo sticks around the plant as they mostly blend in but I can find them in August or September when I need to move the plant.

• ginny12
    12 years ago

I have moved a few from the woods next to my garden into my garden. No problems and I moved them about this time, when I could see them.

If you are moving them some distance--depends on how far away your friend is--I'd dig the hole, run over to your friend's house, dig up with a good clump of soil, race home and plant. Then go back with a gift of soil to fill the hole at your friend's. Then as you know, water, water. And do all this on a cloudy cool day like this morning.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ginny, I am just moving them within her yard, so no need to race, lol - although, now that you mention it, perhaps a plant or two for myself would be a nice thank-you gift for my work, lol.

I'm a bit concerned because we are forecast to have some hot days next week (94 degrees! I knew we wouldn't have a spring this year!) so I may wait till at least after next week to move them.

I do have some bamboo stakes in the garage, so if things get put off or I procrastinate (an extremely likely scenario!) I'll stick them in the ground to mark the spot and move them later.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!
    Dee

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

My bamboo stakes always seem to fall over and get lost for me. I had DH cut down some tomato cages for me - so I have just circles on 3 legs. Then I took a can of forest green spray paint and sprayed them. The dark green blends into the garden really well, and the cages really can't fall down and get lost. (I also spray paint the whole tomato cages, and use those to support my lillies and other tall perennials.)

• Nancy Radloff
    4 years ago

IT IS LATE AUGUST HERE. I AM WONDERING ABOUT DIGGING MY JACK IN THE PULPITS. DO THEY NEED TO BE TRANSPLANTED RIGHT AWAY OR CAN THEY BE BAGGED FOR PLANTING AT A DIFFERENT DATE AND STATE. LIKE SAY EARLY OCTOBER IN TENN.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

These aren’t bulbs and won’t respond well to being bagged for a long period, and the summer and early fall temperatures will make it worse. If you must dig them now instead of later, pot them up, put them in the shade, and keep them evenly moist, not dry and not soggy. When planting in the fall, mulch them to help keep the soil temperature warmer as the air cools as well as keeping moisture even.

• Nancy Radloff
    4 years ago

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.