Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Does anyone grow Golden Privet in New England?

I found a pretty little shrublet in my garden that I couldn't identify (not unusual for me, I have many mystery volunteers) and I posted photos on the Name That Plant forum.

Foundling shrub - Euonymus seedling?

Several people said it looked like a Golden Privet, one of the Ligustrum varieties. That seems very reasonable to me, but my problem is what to do with it. I'd like to put it in a sunnier spot so the foliage gets more golden, but it sounds like it could become a monster. I also wonder whether it would be wholly deciduous here in Zone 6b or whether the leaves would persist in most or at least some winters.

I'm a sucker for interesting volunteers and I'd hate to compost the plant. I also don't want to devote a lot of garden space to a shrub that isn't all that attractive.

Does anyone have experience with, or opinions for or against the Golden Privet?

Thanks,

Claire

Comments (4)

• runktrun
    12 years ago

Claire,
    That is one sweet looking privet. That said I am sorry to report that privet as an invasive introduction is very quickly becoming a problem for me. What is most troublesome is removal is not a simple yank the roots really know how to hold stead fast to the earth.
    The Invasive Plant Atlas of New England has few new bells and whistles that you might find interesting.
    Good luck I know I would be tempted to hold on to such a sweet looking gold plant but would likely regret it in the not too distant future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Plant Atlas of New England

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, kt. Luckily I still have time to think about this - the shrublet is small and should be easy to remove/transplant this year. If it was mostly evergreen it would be a great addition to my winter landscape, but from what I've read that would only happen in mild winters in my zone (6b more or less).

I'm now in the stages of having to pull out volunteer wild cherries and maples. I really like the wild cherries but not everywhere. And then there are the volunteer red cedars and pines and the dogwoods..... all are trees that are eminently suitable for this area. I don't like having to make these choices.

Claire

• roxanna
    12 years ago

not to negate the info that privet can be/is invasive, i'd hazard the opinion that applies to regular privets, not the 'Vicaryi' so much. i have one that i've grown as a small tree (about 10 feet high) in a very moist bed, and it behaves well for me. i have not seen any seedlings here for the 5 years i've had it. lovely color, tho deciduous here in Central Mass.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that's information I'd like to believe, Roxanna, although it makes me nervous that this seedling appeared out of nowhere. Right now it's in a bed that stays pretty moist, but most of my yard runs really dry (well-drained sandy loam) in the summer. I don't know if the dryness would just restrain the growth or would affect the appearance and health of the shrub. I mulch everything well all year and water when necessary but I won't go to extremes for a plant that doesn't like these conditions.

Some of the references say the flowers have an unpleasant smell. Do you notice this? I have a neighbor who is supersensitive to odors and would definitely complain if downwind.

Claire