Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a weed?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 21:41

OK - another one of these "Is this a weed". I have a couple of these growing in the garden. The seem to be evenly spaced, which makes me think it could be something I planted? But I don't recognize it. Any ideas?

Weed 1

Weed 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a weed?

Maybe it's time for me to try the name this plant forum. I was out looking at the gardens this morning and there is very little change in appearance from last week. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but each of these plants in the garden has 2 stems.

o

I have this plant also, and almost yanked it as a weed, but as I had my hand on it, I stopped, just in case....

So now I'm watching it to see what it will do. My gut says weed, but since I have no confidence in my weed-identifying abilities, I'm waiting.

I really should get organized. I should take photos of theses things and ID them as I find out what they are, and keep a file for reference. I really should...

Dee

o

No idea --- it doesn't really look like a weed. Could it be the seedling of something you planted a season or so ago, like an annual or biennial?

Molie

o

Lysimachia punctata/Loosestrife~can be invasive.

o

Jaynine - you were right. I just noticed a few flowers on the stalks this morning and it definitely is the yellow loosestrife. From my reading, it appears to be "invasive" in full sun conditions. But since it's growing in partial shade, in an area that I am trying to fill in, I will definitely let it stay. I *think* I dug it up at my moms house. Which would explain the even spacing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here