Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunt4carl

Two Special CT Gardens on View: Open Days

hunt4carl
14 years ago

Two more talented GW folks from New England are being honored by having their gardens included in the Garden conservancy's Open Days program this summer:

On Sunday, June 7th, we get to visit George's (ego 45) garden in

Westport, CT. . .

On Sunday, July 12th, we can drop in on Monique's "The Anthony

Garden" in Wallingford, CT. . .

Let's all turn out to show our fellow gardeners how pleased we are that they're getting national recognition. . .and I'll bet we could "lift" a few ideas!

Here's a link with more detailed information. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program

Comments (38)

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Do we just show up? Richie

• hunt4carl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is a nominal $5 admission fee to visit any garden on the Open Days program - unless you're a member of The Garden Conservancy and use their
    half-price tickets. The hours that each garden is open, and complete
    directions to find them, can be found on the website link in my original post
    above.

Carl

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

I'm planning to get to both!! What a great opportunity, especially for those of us fortunate enough to have "babies" from these fabulous two gardeners, both contributors to the CT Plant Swap, in our own gardens (not that there will be ANY comparison, but still... fame by association! :)

(Also, note that the discounted tickets you can order through the Conservancy -- whether you are a member or not -- "do not expire" and can be used in other years. 6 tickets for $25 ($15 if you are a Conservancy member) -- pretty good deal, especially if you can use them for more than one season of garden viewing pleasure!)

• ego45
    14 years ago

Special bonus features for GW-visitors:
    -If you like something, just say so and I'll try to propagate or divide it for you for the fall swap,
    -Taking cuttings from my hydrangea collection will be permitted :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: June 7th

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

This sounds like fun. I've never done anything like this before. Richie

• the_shady_lady
    14 years ago

George,

Do you need help collecting tickets and registering guests? Let me know. I could probably help for a while.

Virginia

• ego45
    14 years ago

Virginia, that would be great!
    Carl and Dee already offered their help and just in case there will be no visitors at least we will have a nice company to chat :-)))
    BTW, it seems like my yellow ITOH peony, Garden Treasure, will bloom right on time for the show. I'm praying for no rain ... :-))

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

George,
    I'm planning on being one of your visitors! Richie

• ego45
    14 years ago

Richie, probably in your honor PINK cornus kousa 'Satomi' decided to bloom first time ever in my garden :-)
    Can't say it's very impressive, but at least a departure from a traditional white.

With a little bid of luck both of mine rarely seen satsuki azaleas, 'Shugetsu' and 'Getsutoku' might start blooming on a weekend.

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

I'll be there for a visit George!

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful variety!

• ego45
    14 years ago

Monique, it will be a great pleasure to see you and Les again.
    I know it's impossible to surprise you by anything... but Abelia mosanensis is blooming and smell is heavenly :-)
    Problem is, it had been almost entirely swamped by Heptacodium and is hard to find :-(

BTW, if anyone is interested, Oliver will be running its traditional perennial and alpine sale (30% off) on June 7th and they are only 5 minutes away from me.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Thanks George for a great garden tour and lunch!!! You are a great host! We have never done anything like that before. I learned a few new things and saw many new plants as well. Richie

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Just wanted to add my thanks, too! (Along with a heartfelt "WOW!!") Both George's garden and his gracious hospitality to his fellow swappers were beyond compare (never expected LUNCH, complete with wine!) Thanks again, George!!!

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

My husband and I had a great time at George's yesterday. We got a personal tour that allowed us to hear all about the plants and their attributes and his "experiments". I've never been to a garden conservancy tour and come away with parting gifts-we appreciate the plants. We had fun talking to Dee, Carl and Richie, but missed seeing everyone else. George certainly has a beautiful garden!

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Monique,
    Was it you at the swap that told me you had a dogwood from my house and it was about 4-5 feet tall. I thought it was a Monique that told me but now I am not sure? Richie

• ego45
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words and I take them at 100%, not just as a standard politeness :-)))

I would like publicly express my unmeasurable gratitude to our mutual friends, Dee, Virginia and Carl.
    Without their indispensable help I wouldn't be able to carry all the load of questions and overall pressure to be a host.
    But that's what friends are for, right?

It was an interesting experience to show my garden to more than a 100 visitors just in one day and to answer all the questions ranging from, "Is this a pachysandra?" (several times Carl had to show his expertise in a subject) to "How big that Leucosceptrum stellipilum (or Acanthopanax sieboldianus) of yours eventualy will be?" :-))))

Over all I'm happy and probably will do it next year, only in July for hydrangeas primes, though at the end of the day I hardly was able to drug my feet to the bed and was swearing not even think about to do it ever again. :-)

Monique+Les's GARDEN is next.
    Don't miss it!!!!!!!

• ego45
    14 years ago

Oh, Monique, small tip:
    -arrange day off for yourself on Monday after the Open Day.
    You will need it :-))

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

What a handsome group! LOL! I think George's beautiful garden made us all look great!

It was such a gorgeous day and, as usual, the garden was glorious. Everybody who left that day had wonderful things to say about the garden.

A big thanks to George and his wife for their hospitality. Boy, I wish my day job was as enjoyable as yesterday, lol!

:)
    Dee

• ego45
    14 years ago

Have you marked your calendars?
    Monique's garden will be open on Sunday July 12.
    THE Garden you can't afford to miss!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Day

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Thanks George! I'm open from 10am-4pm. I hope some of you can make it. I posted a link below to some of my photos. Here are a few of them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Monique's garden photos

• hunt4carl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy Toledo !!!

I can't wait to actually SEE this garden. . .

• ego45
    14 years ago

That's funny.
    Picture #3 is almost identical to what I have as a screensaver :-)

And here is another my favorite

Have you filled your gas tanks already?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I'm ready!

Just making some last minute arrangements with my cousin and possibly a friend, but I will be there in the morning, and I cannot wait!

Hope to see many of you on Sunday!
    Dee

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

We will be there too! See ya!

• the_shady_lady
    14 years ago

This is a FABULOUS garden. If you have never been there - donÂt miss it!

It's killing me that I will not be able to attend. I am helping my friend in Easton who is also on Open Days Tour. If you are in the area (lower Ffld county), it too, is an excellent garden to visit. The address is 95 Wilson Road. It's listed as Blooming Hill on the Conservancy website.

I'll be thinking of you Monique and Les!!

Virginia

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Virginia, is your friend's garden open all day? I'm going to Monique's with my cousin, who lives in Newtown. Maybe she will want to take a swing by Easton in the afternoon....

Dee

• the_shady_lady
    14 years ago

Open from 10 to 3. Of course special arrangements could be made...

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Well, my garden is as ready as it is going to be. I'm exhausted! I just hope the thunderstorms tonight do not cause any damage. I'll have to get up early and deadhead daylilies and remove caging from around the plants the bunnies have been snacking on. Looking forward to seeing some Gardenwebbers!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

LOL, Virginia! No, that's okay. If we go, we'll be there before 3. My cousin likes to garden, but she's not a diehard like us and I'm not sure if she would be up for two gardens in one day. So I don't want you and your friend to go to any trouble. I'll see how she feels about it tomorrow.

Good luck to you and your friend tomorrow!

Monique, at least the storms will clear up by morning, so it shouldn't actually be raining during the day. Funny, I was thinking of you this afternoon while I was deadheading MY daylilies. I was thinking of seeing if you needed any help to get ready tomorrow morning. But unfortunately, I am driving up with someone and I don't think she'd want to be there THAT early - although she probably wouldn't mind being put to work, lol.

I'm sure everything will be perfect! See you tomorrow!

Dee

• ego45
    14 years ago

Virginia, Blooming Hill was already on my itinerary and was marked as 'if time permitting'. Now I have to make sure I'll see you :-))

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

You have a very nice garden! I am sorry I don't know your husbands name. We had a nice tour. It was nice seeing everyone from the swap too. Enjoy the rest of the summer everyone and see you all in the fall. Thanks, Richie

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

I could only go late in the afternoon. (I feel lucky to get away at all!) I'm sorry I missed most of my garden pals, but I am so glad I got to see Les and Monique's gorgeous garden again! What a feast for the senses! I would have liked to have seen Virginia's friend's garden, but they were two completely different directions from where I am now. I hope that went well also.
    Deb

• ego45
    14 years ago

I'm sitting here very quite because I'm still speechless and trying to absorb ideas I got from Monique's and Les's garden.

Quote of the day (from unknown to me visitor), 'I don't know what else Garden Conservancy is preserving, but THIS one should be on their mission list!"

I ask her where to sign :-))

• ctlady_gw
    14 years ago

Aaargh!!! After having these two gardens (George's and Monique's) on my schedule since MAY, I ended up in Washington, DC, this weekend and didn't get back until tonight -- so I missed this incredible garden! But thanks to Monique's pictures and photo album, I at least got a taste of what it must have been like ... thank you so much Monique for posting them! I hope the Anthony Garden will be on display again some time! I was SO looking forward to this (and would have enjoyed it SO MUCH MORE than slogging along on the New Jersey Turnpike and sitting in a miles-long backup for the GW Bridge!!)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Deb & Marty, I was wondering where you guys were! Sorry I missed you Deb, and even sorrier you couldn't make it at all, Marty.

It was also great to see Sue again (although I completely missed her somehow on the way in????) and also to see Liliane.

Beautiful day, GORGEOUS garden, what else can I say? Except that I wish I had brought a camera!

Thank you, Monique and Les, for sharing your incredible talent and hard work with us!

Dee

P.S. Sorry I didn't make it to Easton, Virginia. I was all set to go and looked at the clock and it was 3:00! I got visiting with my cousin (and showing her MY garden, which was a pretty sorry endeavor after being at Monique and Les' garden) and by the time she left it was later than I thought. Hope your open day went well too!

• the_shady_lady
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

What a beautiful day it was! We had a good crowd in Easton, although nothing like the first time in May when the Police came and threatened to tow cars!!

Sorry I missed The Anthony garden yesterday. I would have loved to have been able to go and perhaps IÂll get a chance to visit later this summer. I encouraged my friend, Margo to go. She called me on her cell phone on the way home and said she and her friends were totally blown away. I knew they would be. ;)

Virginia

• Monique z6a CT
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone who visited the garden yesterday-it was nice to see some familiar faces. I was exhausted-7 hours of standing, walking and talking-although it was loads of fun.