Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caro123_gw

Arghh!! Now its snowing!!

carola_gw(Z3NH)
10 years ago

Just venting- finally got everything into the ground and the baskets planted and up.This year nothing was going to dry out on me.Then it rains forever-can live with that except
my lawn is going to be a jungle before it gets mowed.
Went shopping -ended up driving home in heavy wet snow just as it was getting dark.Everything was already covered in 2" of snow.Took in what I could and threw what I had for cover over the rest. Now crossing fingers temps don't drop more.
Running around in shorts a week ago and back to boots and winter coat today.My poor little hummingbirds were going nuts at the feeders-hope they make it through the night.I left the back door light on where the feeder is figuring it might put out some heat for them.
Gotta love New England- hope this snow will act as magic fertilizer and not be the end of my garden for this year. I don't think tomatoes and eggplant are fond of snow.Not too worried about the peas.broccoli,and brussel sprouts though.
OOps lights just went off but came back on-better go find the flashlight.Winter just does not want to leave the mountains yet I guess.

Comments (8)

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Right, as Wally Stone of Greenfield N.H. used to say "white manure"
    I call that cold comfort.
    idabean

• tmc2009
    10 years ago

It's good weather if you just seeded a new lawn. I put seed down just before the rain and it came up in record time. As long as it doesn't wash away.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Yuck, sorry about the snow!

But taking advantage of the weather, I just seeded a little side lawn 2 days ago, spread lime on the front and side lawn (and lilacs and peonies) yesterday, and have been planting seedlings and doing a little transplanting in the gardens.

I would have thought with the cool wet weather there would be more activity at the bird feeders, but they are eating very little food. Even the Bluebirds who usually come and get nuggets are absent. I theorize that since I am seeing little caterpillars all over the place, they have plenty of natural food to eat!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

I'll ditto terrene and say sorry to hear about the snow but at least (normally) this time of year you can expect it to be gone in a matter of hours. What bothers me is hearing my furnace click on--multiple times--over Memorial Day weekend. In years past I recall wishing the A/C unit was in the window by now. Just hope this cold snap is brief and not a sign of the summer ahead.

Of course you gotta love New England--those folks who arrived back in 1620 knew they'd discovered paradise!!! However bizarre, given recent events I still prefer NE weather to Oklahoma weather. I read yesterday they've been able to return the shoreline beach sands to their pre-Super Storm Sandy condition.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Carol - You have my sympathy. I think you must be in a different part of NH than I, since around 10PM we got a slushy mix, but none of it stuck before it changed back to rain. Did it cause any plant damage for you?

Happily, it didn't get cold enough here to damage my warm weather plants, especially since the ground still is fairly warm, though it's much cooler that a week ago. I hope that this was winter's final hurrah and that it doesn't cause more black flies to appear!

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

You have my sympathy too. I'm surprised we didn't have snow here. It was predicted, but we had only more of the cold, drenching rain. It seems crazy to be walking the dogs in a parka, winter hat, and mittens!

My newly planted trees are loving this rain, but probably nothing else is. I had a truly pathetic bedraggled hummingbird at the feeder yesterday afternoon, poor thing!
    Still the 34 trees are off to a good start and we had a few days to rest from the task of planting the last of them.

Tomorrow is mowing day, and I expect our mowers will choke on the hayfields that once were our lawns.

• carola_gw(Z3NH)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everything came through fine-even the eggplant and petunias..Haven't seen my hummers today yet.Hope they are ok.Was kind of odd to see them buzzing the feeders in the snow and wind.If I was a hummer I wouldn't show up here till the middle of June. Tough li'l birds.
    The snow has already.melted except for a few patches. Hope it froze the ticks but doubt it.
    I should have known better and waited another week to put stuff in but those warm days made me gamble on it.I'm up in the mountains in northern NH and we tend to rush the season- sometimes it pays off/sometimes it doesn't. Anyhow, know I wasn't the only crazy lady running around in a squall bringing stuff in and covering up.Had two friends doing the same thing at the same time LOL
    My furnace is off and staying off even if I have to put a coat on inside as long as its above temp that pipes could freeze.
    Agree, there are worse weather areas to be in and we should be thankful for where we are and after the initial Ohhh noooo my thoughts went there where people lost a lot more then a few plants.

• rockman50
    10 years ago

Extended period of hot sunny weather starting Thursday with temps near 90.