Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand Cherry Trees in Containers?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 22:17

At my therapists office, they have these real pretty trees in containers on the patio. The receptionist told me they are sand cherries.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I just cut down 6 large white pines, and i feel too exposed to my neighbor. I'm waiting for my arbor vitaes to give a bit more privacy. In the meantime I thought some type of shrub in a container that I could place where the pines used to be.

Does anyone have experience growing sand cherries? In a container? Any other suggestion for a tree/shrub to grow in a pot? Something that would over winter in place? Or at most, in my unheated, unlighted, windowless garage?

Here's a photo I snapped of the inspiration tree.

sand cherry photo sandcherry1_zps23504fdf.jpg

sand cherry close up photo sandcherry2_zpsd60a1ca2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand Cherry Trees in Containers?

Pixie, I've grown a sand cherry in the ground, not in a container. They get really big so I'm guessing you'd need a huge pot that holds lots of soil to provide the kind of protection the roots will need during the winter. When you go back to the office, try to get some information on how long they've had them, how the pots winter over, etc.

Good luck!
Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here