Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

Odd losses

diggingthedirt
13 years ago

I have 3 Willow Oaks (Quercus phellos) that are about 15' tall, which started as shoots from Forestfarm about 10 years ago. This spring one didn't leaf out at all, the second has about 90% dead branches, and the last one looks perfectly normal. They're planted in a little grove, about 15' away from each other. If I had to characterize the soil, it's good garden loam, identical for all 3 trees. They're in full sun, and the one that's totally dead has the most open exposure - the one that's in good shape is admittedly planted rather close to a very tall, bushy, overgrown New Dawn rose.

Across the yard, one of a pair of purple smoke bush (Cotinus coggygria, probably 'Royal Purple') is about 50% dead - no leaves developing on major sections of the plant. Last fall I noticed some prematurely brown leaves on this and on one of my Stewartia, and I thought maybe it was Verticillium wilt. The Stewartia seems fine this spring, so far, luckily.

I don't think we had a particularly bad winter, and I'm wondering how to diagnose the problem (or problems) that have cropped up. Have you had a similar experience - have you had wilt on any of your larger woody plants? Can they really destroy mature plantings, with so little warning?

Comments (3)